PATS (Possibly) randomly activating?

riyu

Reaction score
2006 v6 automatic base model.
I went to leave work the other day and the anti theft icon was blinking and I had nothing else. I turned the key and got accessory power (Radio, windows, power locks & headlights) and it wouldn't start to turn over or do anything else. The cluster only showed the anti theft icon nothing else would turn on. I ended up having it towed home and then went to start it and it cranked fine. So I decided to chance it as a random one off issue and drove it to work again today and the same issue happened. I got it towed again and it cranked fine again when it was unloaded. I had someone go through all the fuses and they are all fine. I left the power & ground off the battery for a entire day and it did nothing. I got the key tested at a locksmith and it read fine (although was warned it might still be the key even if it tests fine). OBD2 won't read any codes.
I'm not sure if this is a PATS issue, a grounding issue, a PCM issue or just a general short somewhere. The cluster not showing anything else (the fuse that goes to it doesn't get power when it does it) and the anti theft icon not changing speed or staying on makes me believe this might not be PATS but at this point I'm completely lost.

edit: Forgot to mention the previous day RPM on the cluster showed 500 lower than it actually was. (I checked via OBD2) After restarting the car it was fine.

edit2: PCM completely unplugged still allows cluster to get powered so ruling out power to PCM. Unplugging immobilizer ring still allows the cluster to get powered and instead of the steady blinking (as if a key isnt in the ignition I was getting) from the anti theft light it flashes rapidly as I would've expected from PATS so ruling that out as well...
Ignition possibly the issue but the dinging when the key is initially in the ignition and I can hear the relay click at the passenger side when it cycles through positions makes me doubt it.

edit3: Was able to recreate the issue by unplugging the fuse that lets power go to the PCM relays & PATS (Fuse #19) causes the same symptoms. Fuse is not blown.

Last edited:

riyu

Reaction score
I believe I found the issue. It was the bigger connector beside the fuse panel in the passenger side footwell... Hard bumps probably caused it to barely unplug despite still being connected. I assume I accidentally hit it again when I unplugged fuse #19 which caused it to become loose again and recreate the issue.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back