Question about using 15"wheels

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Weld draglite XP'S, 15X8 with a 5.5" backspace. Do i need to use sway bar relocator brakets with these wheels?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
No. I'm running 15x9 XPs with 5.5" bs, and they clear fine. You will probably need 3" studs though.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, Will i still need the three inch studs even if i have long lug nuts? I guess i need to bring the wheels out and try them.

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, Will i still need the three inch studs even if i have long lug nuts? I guess i need to bring the wheels out and try them.

Most techs likes to see threads or at least the top of the studs showing on rears so they know your lugs have enough engagement. The NHRA rule book break it down to exactly what is needed.

don_w

Reaction score
Most techs likes to see threads or at least the top of the studs showing on rears so they know your lugs have enough engagement. The NHRA rule book break it down to exactly what is needed.
+1 to fin1. If the center of the 15x8 is as thick as my 15x9's, then you'll need 3" studs to be legal (and safe).

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help. I measured them today and they are 15X9 and from taking measurements i will definately need three inch studs. My wife tells me i should sell them and get 17" wheels.

don_w

Reaction score
Where did you meaure it? Across the outside of the wheel, or the inside of the beads? Remember that rim width is the distance between the rim flanges (where the tire bead contacts the rim), so that the actual wheel width from edge to edge is about 1" greater that the stated wheel width, making an 8" rim actually measure 9" wide at it's widest point.

don_w

Reaction score

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, I currently have the closed end lugnuts. The only thing i'm worried about when using them is will they thread on the stock lugs enough, it doesn't look like they will. Did you use the closed end lugs with the 3" studs or stock studs?

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, I currently have the closed end lugnuts. The only thing i'm worried about when using them is will they thread on the stock lugs enough, it doesn't look like they will. Did you use the closed end lugs with the 3" studs or stock studs?

For the same reason Don stated (anal tech) I have open lugnuts on my 3" studs so they can see them. Ironically, of the 5 different tracks I've been to, not one of the even looked, but hey... it's piece-of-mind.

don_w

Reaction score
I used them with the 3" studs. When I test fitted the wheels with the stock studs, I was not thrilled with the amount of thread engagement. I didn't feel safe with them. That's the primary reason I went to 3" studs (being legal was secondary at the time).

For the same reason Don stated (anal tech) I have open lugnuts on my 3" studs so they can see them. Ironically, of the 5 different tracks I've been to, not one of the even looked, but hey... it's piece-of-mind.
No one has ever said anything about the closed lug nuts I used either... but now that I have open ones, I don't have to worry about it. Like you said... it's peace of mind.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, If i get the 3" studs can i still use the closed end lugnuts with my stock wheels or do i need the open end lugs. I usually go to Atco on street nights and they really don't check anything unless your go really fast.Then all rules apply. So i'm not overly concerned if i use the closed end lugnuts.

don_w

Reaction score
Don, If i get the 3" studs can i still use the closed end lugnuts with my stock wheels or do i need the open end lugs. I usually go to Atco on street nights and they really don't check anything unless your go really fast.Then all rules apply. So i'm not overly concerned if i use the closed end lugnuts.
That depends. The lugnuts for my XPs are shank type, and won't work with my street Bullitts (which use a conical seat type). I ended up buying these for my street wheels. They are long enough to fit over the 3" studs, and still look nice.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D7540162&N=700+0&autoview=sku

sum-7540162_w.jpg

And a pic of one of my wheels:

DSC07691.JPG

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help. I measured them today and they are 15X9 and from taking measurements i will definately need three inch studs. My wife tells me i should sell them and get 17" wheels.
If you decide to sell these wheels please PM me with a price as I am interested.
Thank You

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, Thanks for the pictures. Thump, I'm still on the fence about selling them. I need to polish them up and take some pics i will let you know first if isell them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back