Spohn/Hellwig rear anti sway bar!

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, I often feel that we are over charged for middle of the road parts for the S197 Mustangs. I recently purchased the Spohn/Hellwig rear sway bar for my car. It's a vast improvement over the stock piece and comes with very thorough installation instructions. I was worried about compatability with my BMR LCA relocation brackets. It is a tight fit but I had no clearance issues at all. It's heavy duty and my car lauches flat as a pancake now. The rear end shift when I hammer the throttle is gone and the car corners much better now even without the front swaybar that's been sitting in the garage closet for quite a while now. It's adjustable and I'm very pleased with it. At $261 delivered it's a nice deal on a very good part. You can save a few bucks by getting it from Summit. I purchased mine from the Spohn website.

http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1607

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand the difference between this and a anti-roll bar kit, is there any? Or are they the same thing?

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are the same. Hopefully it will get rid of the body torque I've had when launching my car. Look at the difference in the space over the passenger side tire and the driver side tire. It should help with 60' times thus ET by transfering more torque to straight ahead motion instead of body roll. It should also help plant the left rear better and help the car hook better. I should also be able to run my shocks on the same setting instead of the right 3 clicks stiffer than the left. Then maybe I can get both fronts off the ground and not just the left front!!

cars022sa2.jpg

nmrabg003eq7.jpg

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is a significant amount of twist. So that 1" bar will prevent that? I wonder what kind of difference you will notice at the track. I may look into this further.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Spohn bar is solid and is made of harder material than the stocker. The bushings are also much harder and the end links are adjustable. I'm running mine in the rearmost hole. I can't wait to see what it does at the track. It can't hurt! LOL

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When are you going to the track next? I would really like to know your thoughts on any differences when you come back from the track. Hopefully you will have a new best 60' :trophy:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been running the Steeda 24mm bar right from the beginning and I've been launching dead straight.
The only problem is that I doubt it would work with a swaybar relocation bracket to fit 15" wheels.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll be going as soon as the nasty weather around here decides to act right! LOL The racing has been cancelled regulaerly here lately. I'd be there right now but CANCELLED due to rain! Hopefully Thursday night will happen this week for Test n Tune! I'll keep you posted Paul.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been running the Steeda 24mm bar right from the beginning and I've been launching dead straight.
The only problem is that I doubt it would work with a swaybar relocation bracket to fit 15" wheels.

This particular bar uses the stock mounting points so it should work with the swaybar relocation brackets. I also welded the stock mounting points for the hangers as the three stitch welds on each one looked kinda flimsy to me. Don't ask me to post pics of my welding as it is butt azz ugly!! LOL

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This particular bar uses the stock mounting points so it should work with the swaybar relocation brackets. I also welded the stock mounting points for the hangers as the three stitch welds on each one looked kinda flimsy to me. Don't ask me to post pics of my welding as it is butt azz ugly!! LOL
Correct me if I'm wrong Kev but you're using 15" wheels right?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kev does it look like there is enough clearance for the sway bar to move up and mount with the relocation brackets and still clear the control arm relocation brackets?

Earl

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kev does it look like there is enough clearance for the sway bar to move up and mount with the relocation brackets and still clear the control arm relocation brackets?

Earl

Not sure Earl. I'll go take some pics tomorrow when it's light out. The thing is you may not need relocation brackets with this sway bar as it doesn't protrude into the wheel area as far as the stocker does. The stock shock base mounting brackets are replaced and the swaybar just bolts into a bushing. It doesn't pass through the bushing like the stock bar does. Check the pics from the Spohn link in the first post to see if they help.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I looked at the pictures but it looks like the small bracket of the stock sway bar mounts is still used. I will be running 17x10 rears and this bracket must be cut off for wheel clearance.

Earl

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I looked at the pictures but it looks like the small bracket of the stock sway bar mounts is still used. I will be running 17x10 rears and this bracket must be cut off for wheel clearance.

Earl

I'll pull a wheel off and take a pic tomorrow. The location of the bracket is the same but it is replaced with a new bracket that is included with the Spohn bar. The new bracket is flat with the cup for the bushing in it. The small picture at the top of the ad next to the price shows the bracket that replaces the stocker.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back