Stock oil press. gauge, where does yours read?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a stock oil pressure gauge will you please take a look and note where the needle is reading at idle, part and WOT? I need this info for reference. Thanks!

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'll double check mine, but it always seem to be to the right of center whenever I look at it.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Stock 3V pump, and currently running 20W-50 syn. But for most of the past 10K miles, I ran 15w-40 crude.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they are like idiot lights with 3 positions, no pressure, normal pressure and extremely high pressure

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll take it out for a spin right now for you.

Mobil 1 5w20 with around 150 miles on the oil - Stock pump...

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just like everyone said, it stays just past the middle at all times.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input gentlemen.
The reason I need the reference is that I am running the GT500 oil pump and oil in my new motor. I have done so for 100 miles so far. My gauge is reading about 3/4 with the combo. However, I am a little afraid that the rings won't set properly with the full synthetic so I am going to change to 5w30 dino oil for a few hundred miles. The stock gauge is all I have to go by and I am curious to find out how the GT500 pump and 5w30 compare in pressure to stock pump/stock wt oil.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i thought the gt500 pump required the different oil 5w50 no?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
No it doesn't. I thought the same thing. Jim III is running it with Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend. He put the first 500 miles on it with the GT500 oil though.
The pump is an SVT version of the 3V oil pump.

travelers

Reaction score
The pump it self dosen't care what oil is run through it as long as its thin enough to get pumped through it, lub it and it has a good supply. You never want to cavatate a pump that tares up the pump.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"they are like idiot lights with 3 positions, no pressure, normal pressure and extremely high pressure"

Thats how mine always react. The temperature gauge will slowly increase to about half. Then never go above that. Doesent matter if it is 10 degrees out or 110 with the AC on and driving hard. Same spot. The car must have one heck of a cooling system.

Same with the other gauges pretty much, except they just some up instantly and stay at about 1/2

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
That is true with the temp gauge but I would disagree that it is so with the oil pressure gauge. I can read differences between weights of oil as well as differences between cold start ups and full temperature.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back