Ten passes at Sonoma raceway tonight

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I went to the track tonight expecting nothing more than to get a little seat time. It's been hot so I knew the DA would not be as good as last wed. I knew I would probably not be able to best last weeks outing of a 12.31 but I wanted to work on the launch.

I have a 2012 gt with a barton shifter, bmr lower and upper arms with the relocation brackets, koni shocks (set to soft) and steeda sport springs (I know not good for drags). The tires are Continental dw 285/35/19 front and rear. I have no cats and and modified exhaust with a BAMA tune. Gears are 3.73 on a MT.

I was able to get all the runs but one in the low 12's with a new best 60' of 1.82. The best run was the last with the tires at 22 psi (possibly too low?)

dialed a 12.19 and ran a 12.201 but lost the race on a poor reaction time of .193 The 60' was 1.861, 330' 5.185, 1/8 7.9, 1000 10.233 with a trap of 114.35 I was still hitting the limiter right before the line. I got luck tonight and got a bracket trophy out my efforts, a first for me.

My thoughts are that I should switch to a softer spring (bmr?) and get a drag set up to make it into the 11's. I was thinking of the dark stars in 15x10 with a MT ET street tire in 275/60/15. This should help the 60' as well as get me a few more mph on top as the tire is slightly taller.

I'm wondering what you guys think? Should I go this route to get to the 11's? I know most of the fast guys are going with a 3.55 or even a 3.32 gear but I'm hoping that I can hold off on that until I get a power adder.

I would eventually like to get some boost on the car and switch the gears but that will not be in the budget for a year or two. I don't want to make mistakes with the purchases so I'm looking for a little advice on if my selection are wise choices.

I had a fun time tonight and did far better than I expected. Looking forward to making improvements and any suggestions you guys might have.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
You're making the most of those Conti DW's! Switch to drag radials, raise your rev limiter, and you'll see high 11's when the weather is cooler for sure.

Congrats on the trophy! Always great to have fun and get rewarded while doing it.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Our springs and a 275-15" tire will get you 11's, for sure.

You are doing well for what you have right now, and I am sure you will do well with more and different modifications.

If you had an auto, I'd say just get some DR's for your wheels....but with a MT, you are going to want the soft springs and the larger sidewall.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! next time out I'm going to run the gear jammer class rather than street. I just can't dial in as well or be as consistent as some of the dedicated race cars with automatics.

I probably will not go again until I do some mods though, I don't think I can get much more out of it with out some changes.

What is really amazing about this car is the top end that it has. For not having a cams and using the stock air box it really seem to come on at the big end reeling in cars who get the jump with the drag radials. It even seems to take out some of the mild cammed cars up on top.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Our springs and a 275-15" tire will get you 11's, for sure.

You are doing well for what you have right now, and I am sure you will do well with more and different modifications.

If you had an auto, I'd say just get some DR's for your wheels....but with a MT, you are going to want the soft springs and the larger sidewall.

Why no springs for an auto?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We have, recommend, and use springs for an auto.

I was just implying that the stiffer springs prevent maximum traction more so for a manual trans car, compared to an auto car.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on winning a trophy and shifting those gears, autos do have the advantage. Get some real tires and you will be stoked.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back