Test drove GT 6 speed

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Just got home from my test drive.

Pros: 5.0 is the most obvious. It's definitely the best thing about this car. Strong pull throughout the RPM range. Great engine. The electronics help make this car more useful as a true daily driver. This is a big one...trunk release.

Cons: Biggest surprise is the trans. I wasn't crazy about the notchy shift feel. It feels like it wants to pop out of gear during hard acceleration. Didn't seem up to TR6060 standards. The car I drove did not have the track pak. Same soft suspension. Interior materials remain base quality. Styling. I'm still not quote sold on the new look. Maybe it will wear on me.

I've heard a lot of hype about this car but honestly apart from the engine it wasn't quite what I expected.

If I do decide to get one I'd get the Brembo's, skip the track pak and go right to a Griggs' SS coilover setup.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
What is this "track pak" you speak of? There is no track pak offered on the 2011. The base suspension is the track pack from the 2010. On your test drive did you actually test the suspension or just drive around town?

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
The tranny probably needs some breaking in. I just had a new tranny put in my 2010 GT at 700 miles. When I picked it up the feel of the tranny and clutch were horrible compared to when I dropped it off. The tranny was notchy as hell and hard to engage .. the clutch was light as a feather and grabbed too low. After about 50 miles of shifting all was back to normal.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
What about price? Pro or con? Trunk release is quite the surprise. Hell, maybe they went all out and even put a dipstick on the auto trans? LOL

So you gonna buy it?

patrick

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
.. The base suspension is the track pack from the 2010. On your test drive did you actually test the suspension or just drive around town?

That's right. I forgot the track pak is standard now. I'm into corner carving so I did push a little and managed to get the salesman annoyed at me.

let me know if you wana sell your griggs stuff you already have

You'll have to pull them from my cold dead fingers

What about price? Pro or con? Trunk release is quite the surprise. Hell, maybe they went all out and even put a dipstick on the auto trans? LOL

So you gonna buy it?

patrick

Price was a definite Pro compared to anything else with comparable performance. Hood still using a prop rod. I walked in intending to trade my Audi A5 but now I'm not so sure.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Price was a definite Pro compared to anything else with comparable performance. Hood still using a prop rod. I walked in intending to trade my Audi A5 but now I'm not so sure.
what was the sticker price exactly?

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
what was the sticker price exactly?

30 Something. It was a GT premium with some options. I didn't pay much attention since I wasn't considering that particular car. It was the only 5.0 with manual trans on their lot. They gave me a great deal on my '06 but said I should expect to pay MSRP for a 2011 if they have to order it. Needless to say I wouldn't be ordering from them.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The shifting felt a little wierd too when I drove a 2011 GT around a temporary road course thing. It did feel like it wanted to pop out sort of. MUch much different feel to it than a GT500 6 speed, night and day comparison, the GT500 feels way better..

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
30 Something. It was a GT premium with some options. I didn't pay much attention since I wasn't considering that particular car. It was the only 5.0 with manual trans on their lot. They gave me a great deal on my '06 but said I should expect to pay MSRP for a 2011 if they have to order it. Needless to say I wouldn't be ordering from them.

What dealer was this at Paul? None of my locals have a 5.0 yet. All V6 :mad2:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
. They... said I should expect to pay MSRP for a 2011 if they have to order it. Needless to say I wouldn't be ordering from them.

I really dont understand how dealers think that strategy is gonna work for them? Its found money. You want something they dont have in stock, all they gotta do is place a fricking order!!!!! WTF??? They think they are the only game in town? Idiots.....:321:

patrick

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
I really dont understand how dealers think that strategy is gonna work for them? Its found money. You want something they dont have in stock, all they gotta do is place a fricking order!!!!! WTF??? They think they are the only game in town? Idiots.....:321:

patrick

Dealers are only given so many cars at first, so when other guys sell out at the lower price eventually people will pay the price.

If I was still in a dealership I would be holding as much profit as I could, knowing I only get 4 cars or so at first.

If you want a better deal just wait 4 months :)

BCisme

forum member
Reaction score
I test drove a sterling gray 6 speed yesterday. no options, sticker was 30,4XX.

pcdrj I am going to have to agree with your opinions... the motor is fantastic, i didn't like the clutch, the trans wasnt as smooth shifting as i expected either, as I'm used to the shelby clutch, but it pulls great and i'm sure after a day or so i'd get used to the lighter clutch again and it would probably shift better after a few miles.

I'd get the brembos and the 3.73's, however if it was black, blue or red i'd have probably traded my shelby for it. certainly wouldnt mind the much lower payment. they offered it to me at a hell of a price too, let's just say deals well under sticker are to be had out there.

FordMotorHEAD

The TIRE PIMP !!!
Reaction score
So the new 11 Mustang GT has a TR-6060 in it ? I've been trying to figure out what 6 speed they decided to go with and haven't read anything anywhere.

B

Bucstang

I happened to stop in a local Ford dealership today, and saw the sticker price on a 2011 5.0 C/S Coupe with Auto but without Brembos for $40K! I was stunned, and thought why not just go buy a barely used GT500 for that price lol!

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
You can always buy "used" cheaper than new. Thats life. Thats how it will always be. Between the auto and CS package youre 3500 dollars in options right there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back