MSD 2 Step launch control

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
I already searched and could not find anything I know there are probably threads on this already but I'm using my phone and can't seem to get to them.

Does anyone know how to installing the MSD 2 Step using the clutch switch and not a button? I want the 2 Step to activate in 1st gear with the clutch floored. I know it's possible but can't find anything that clearly explains or shows where I need to wire it too. If anyone has any info pics or anything that would help I appreciate it.

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
That answers some of my questions now I'm just waiting to get my car back from the body shop to install it.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you just mount a switch to the pedal and run the blue and blue/white wire to it.

actually, no extra switch is required. just tap the ground activated wire (i don't remember, but it think it's the solid blue wire for grounded activation) to one side of the existing lower clutch switch (there are two switches attached to the clutch. one higher up under the dash that i believe works in conjunction with the cruise control, and the lower one by the clutch pedal itself. that's the one you want to use). this switch is a switched ground only, and not a switched hot wire. one side of the switch goes directly to ground under the dash. tap the wire to the other side of the switch. when you depress the clutch, it grounds the wire, activating the 2 step.

the picture shows the lower clutch switch. if you can follow the wires out, i believe you'll find one of the wires leaving the switch is grounded. attach your activation switch to the other wire. i'ts been a couple of years since i installed mine, and it works flawlessly. if you can use a volt/ohm meter, you might be able to figure out which side of the switch is grounded without tracing it out. you may actually see a little voltage on one of the wires as it probably goes to a relay or solenoid and will show a little voltage if it isn't grounded, however the other side of the switch is a direct ground and should be identifiable with the meter, if you know what you're looking for. if you hook it to the wrong wire, it will be activated even when the clutch isn't depressed, and you obviously don't want that. i also installed a separate toggle switch in the activation wire that i open when i'm not at the races and it deactivates the 2 step completely when you put it in the open position.

edit: i took a good look under the dash. tap the blue wire (from the 2 step) with a vampire connector to the green wire with the yellow stripe on the lower clutch switch. the black wire on that switch goes directly go ground. i sometimes have a little trouble telling green and blue apart...the wire might be more blue with a yellow stripe. but whatever it is, tap the one that isn't black.

vampire connector

Last edited:

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I just did not want to go into detail, I don't know if he intends to use 12v or ground, so i just posted the links. It is so easy to install!

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
I Planned on using a ground your post really helps I have a much better idea of what I'm doing now. My only question is that is the 2 step only active in 1st gear because I plan on setting it pretty high. I want to have it at about 5600rpm and it says it will activate only when you go 1000rpm lower then the setting but I will probably end up lower then that during a pass.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no, it's not only active in first gear. it will be active whenever you depress the clutch and the rpm's fall more than 1000rpm lower than the launch setting. if you're power shifting, it won't interfere. it takes longer to idle down low enough to reactivate the 2 step than it does to shift. it's never effected mine at all.

even if you do a hot wire activation, it will operate the same way.

i usually launch around 5.2k or so.

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't been power shifting due to tranny issues that's why I ask I guess just try it and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out I could always do a w.o.t box.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
The MSD 2Step is only a rev limiter for launching the car. It has nothing to do with power shifting or over rev protection.

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
I know that it has nothing to do with it I'm saying I dont power shift because of my tranny. But if I have to power shift to keep the rpm up so it doesn't hit 2 step again I can add a w.o.t box as well.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know that it has nothing to do with it I'm saying I dont power shift because of my tranny. But if I have to power shift to keep the rpm up so it doesn't hit 2 step again I can add a w.o.t box as well.

Just think about it. If the RPMs fall below the activation point (and you're not powershifting) and the 2 step re-activates, what happens? It limits your RPM while the clutch pedal is depressed. If it's already below that when you depress the pedal, it will have no effect since your RPM will not be increasing until you release the pedal and hit the accelerator.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

i don't think you need both. probably the wot box is a little more versatile though.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would buy the MSD 2-step if they can get the n2mb WOTBOX. The n2mb WOTBOX taps into the ECU clutch switch wire (also known as the cruise control wire), which sends a signal whenever your clutch switch is activated.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would buy the MSD 2-step if they can get the n2mb WOTBOX. The n2mb WOTBOX taps into the ECU clutch switch wire (also known as the cruise control wire), which sends a signal whenever your clutch switch is activated.

well, i don't know why, but my throttle always cuts off when i shift above about 6k, without lifting. and that's with every tune i've ever had, making at least for me a wot box unnecessary.

the 2 step is extremely easy to change settings. adjust 2 dials wherever you want them. the wot box might also be, perhaps, i don't know.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
well, i don't know why, but my throttle always cuts off when i shift above about 6k, without lifting. and that's with every tune i've ever had, making at least for me a wot box unnecessary.

the 2 step is extremely easy to change settings. adjust 2 dials wherever you want them. the wot box might also be, perhaps, i don't know.

The Wotbox 2-step feature is adjusted with the press of a button. You just press it however many times in multiples of 500RPM or something.

What do you mean your throttle cuts off? That's weird and is not what the Wotbox does. The wotbox keeps the throttle OPEN when you shift so that the engine/transmission doesn't rock back and forth during your shift from the sudden closing of the butterfly valve. It keeps the injectors going while cutting spark to keep boost between shifts. I didn't really understand the wotbox until I got one. It honestly makes all shifter mods unnecessary, it is the smoothest shift you have ever done--no weird clutch engagement, no weight shifting from front to rear causing odd traction issues, etc...

Bonus, you get flames (see below).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back