Edelbrock Tuned And Street Tested

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Before you guy's start throwing Tillman under the bus you need to look at what the problems were. Tillman was trying to get the advertised HP from a stock setup with 6 lbs of boost. So far everyone that has an Edelbrock producing good power is doing it on a setup with higher boost, built motor and other mods. I haven't seen anyone get the stock 6 lb setup to work properly yet. Chris Rose at Tillman is one of the better tuners in the country and I don't think the Edelbrock problems are just tune related.

Earl

lol calm down big fella it was just a joke , i have talked to cris quite a few times hell i was one who was trying to get them to use my car as the test car for the turbo setup they were supposed to build

deekum1627

forum member
Reaction score
congrats man nice to see it working out for you great number too do you have any pics of the motor would love to see it

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
This was on 93 octane and they are already bending up the pipe for the cage. I'll run it outlaw for a few test and tunes to see where it is at and then install the cage after.

Very good. Glad to see you getting things lined out. Looks like mine won't be ready until just after Atco so I guess I'll see you at Milan.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Before you guy's start throwing Tillman under the bus you need to look at what the problems were. Tillman was trying to get the advertised HP from a stock setup with 6 lbs of boost. So far everyone that has an Edelbrock producing good power is doing it on a setup with higher boost, built motor and other mods. I haven't seen anyone get the stock 6 lb setup to work properly yet. Chris Rose at Tillman is one of the better tuners in the country and I don't think the Edelbrock problems are just tune related.

Earl

I'm not throwing Tillman under the bus. I'm actually doing the opposite. I feel bad for Tillman that they had to get caught up in the whole mess with Edelbrock. They have had so many of the industry pros out there trying to figure out what's going on with that car and to double check their work and still haven't figured out. Last I heard they might end up just pulling it for a Roush TVS. I agree, Chris is one of the better tuners in the country without a doubt. My post was in seriousness. Why not get someone over there that has a Edelbrock that's putting out decent numbers to look at the car? It couldn't hurt.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i cant see a 10psi whipple HO not cracking 400rwhp unless there was a installation problem or a problem with the blower itself. They clearly make about 100rwhp more on other cars.

N

navbtcret

i cant see a 10psi whipple HO not cracking 400rwhp unless there was a installation problem or a problem with the blower itself. They clearly make about 100rwhp more on other cars.

Well I bought it used, it had ST Motorsports big intake on it and was a Gen I Whipple @ 10psi and on the same dyno and same person tuning as now and those were the numbers, different time of year is to only variable other than the blower kit. There was nothing wrong with the install either, the car ran great. I ran 11's with the Whipple @ 10psi but I am hoping for 10's on 13psi with the Edelbrock.

Very good. Glad to see you getting things lined out. Looks like mine won't be ready until just after Atco so I guess I'll see you at Milan.

I'll be at Milan but I may run True Street there this year and Superstang at Columbus and North Carolina. See you there SD.

Last edited by a moderator:

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
then the dyno wasnt loaded properly lol
Mikes mustang dyno is notoriously greedy. He also had a very conservative tune on it with the Whipple and being an auto. I now have Rons Whipple. I anticipate the standard 450-480 rwhp on Modular Depots dyno jet with a manual tranny. I can't wait to see Rons car run and have no doubt 10s are in the near future.:thumb:

moosestang

Reaction score
Mikes mustang dyno is notoriously greedy. He also had a very conservative tune on it with the Whipple and being an auto. I now have Rons Whipple. I anticipate the standard 450-480 rwhp on Modular Depots dyno jet with a manual tranny. I can't wait to see Rons car run and have no doubt 10s are in the near future.:thumb:

Keep us posted on the numbers you put down.

You could have made more power with the whipple. I don't understand your reasoning behind switching. What was your trap speed on your 11 second run or any run for that matter?

I'm with Tbird, your numbers were off or something is wrong with that blower.

Reaction score
We are installing another E-force this week, It will be installed as it ships their tune, their tuner, I will post the results when they are available.

The numbers that are spit out here are real and lower than typiclaly found on the industry standard DynoJet. Always have been always will be.

Ex: Customer makes 644rwhp, 3900# runs 9.8's at nearly 145mph.
Ex: Customer makes 540rwhp, 3800# runs 10.7's in the mid 130's
Ex: Customer makes 580rwhp, 3700# runs 9.9 at 140ish
Ex: Customer makes 420rwph, 3800# runs 11.0 at 126mph (same tune, no changes, 1 week later at a DJ dynoday, made 490rwhp).

Another example is from back in early 05, we met with one of the gurus from SCT at a shop in MI. Little was known about DBW then and forced induction was realitively rare for the s197 at that time. This shop had 2 dynos, A Mustang and a DJ, the car made 512 on their Mustang (shop admittedly set up the Mustang to inflate the numbers to reflect more "DJ like numbers"), Drove the car onto the DJ and with the same exact tune, NO changes made, made 540. Brought that car back to our shop put it on our non influeced dyno and (NO Changes) it made 499. Did the car actually make anymore or less power from dyno to dyno, no. The data logs show the same boost, the same load, the same afr, the same spark and the same MAF counts, Meaning the car consumed the same amount of air and fuel (which is HP), and utilized the same amount of spark.

So which is right?

I am not saying this to defend anyone, I am writing this to educate everyone. Because Chassis dynos have somehow become less of a tool and more of a gauge.

Dynos are tools and unfortunately not quite as standardized as they should be. I know for a fact that some places use different correction factors, for no other reason than that is what they like to see, these correction factors are okay as long as they are used all the time. If they change the correction type on a given car they are only fooling themselves.

I am sure that some folks have a few dragstrips in their area, one may treat you better than the next, in fact we have one here that runs downhill. That track is typically quicker. There is one that runs uphill, typically slower. Some tracks may even have their lights a few feet closer than the next, some are at higher altitudes. Is any of this bad, no. But it does mean that the results from one track are only comparable to that particular vacility, not all. You are not going to run the same e.t. at Denver in the summer that you do at ATCO in the fall. The same holds true for dynos. The results are only realitive to that particular machine.

Again this is in defense to nothing, but just insight.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
. The data logs show the same boost, the same load, the same afr, the same spark and the same MAF counts, Meaning the car consumed the same amount of air and fuel (which is HP), and utilized the same amount of spark.

So which is right?

I am not saying this to defend anyone, I am writing this to educate everyone. Because Chassis dynos have somehow become less of a tool and more of a gauge.

Dynos are tools and unfortunately not quite as standardized as they should be. I know for a fact that some places use different correction factors, for no other reason than that is what they like to see, these correction factors are okay as long as they are used all the time. If they change the correction type on a given car they are only fooling themselves.

I am sure that some folks have a few dragstrips in their area, one may treat you better than the next, in fact we have one here that runs downhill. That track is typically quicker. There is one that runs uphill, typically slower. Some tracks may even have their lights a few feet closer than the next, some are at higher altitudes. Is any of this bad, no. But it does mean that the results from one track are only comparable to that particular vacility, not all. You are not going to run the same e.t. at Denver in the summer that you do at ATCO in the fall. The same holds true for dynos. The results are only realitive to that particular machine.

lmao mike shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh your going to make don :handjob::handjob::handjob: :thud: because we all know how much he loves dyno numbers

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We are installing another E-force this week, It will be installed as it ships their tune, their tuner, I will post the results when they are available.

The numbers that are spit out here are real and lower than typiclaly found on the industry standard DynoJet. Always have been always will be.

Ex: Customer makes 644rwhp, 3900# runs 9.8's at nearly 145mph.
Ex: Customer makes 540rwhp, 3800# runs 10.7's in the mid 130's
Ex: Customer makes 580rwhp, 3700# runs 9.9 at 140ish
Ex: Customer makes 420rwph, 3800# runs 11.0 at 126mph (same tune, no changes, 1 week later at a DJ dynoday, made 490rwhp).

Another example is from back in early 05, we met with one of the gurus from SCT at a shop in MI. Little was known about DBW then and forced induction was realitively rare for the s197 at that time. This shop had 2 dynos, A Mustang and a DJ, the car made 512 on their Mustang (shop admittedly set up the Mustang to inflate the numbers to reflect more "DJ like numbers"), Drove the car onto the DJ and with the same exact tune, NO changes made, made 540. Brought that car back to our shop put it on our non influeced dyno and (NO Changes) it made 499. Did the car actually make anymore or less power from dyno to dyno, no. The data logs show the same boost, the same load, the same afr, the same spark and the same MAF counts, Meaning the car consumed the same amount of air and fuel (which is HP), and utilized the same amount of spark.

So which is right?

Extremely well said Mike...:beerchug2::clap: Seems dyno numbers have turned into some sort of 'standard' for how fast a car is...:tdown:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You know, Mike...........I'm glad you came on here and stated all that. I'm tired of doing it.

A dyno is a damned tool.........and so are people who use dyno numbers like a ruler at a dick measuring contest.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very informative post Mike, echos a coversation we had years ago.

You know, Mike...........I'm glad you came on here and stated all that. I'm tired of doing it.

A dyno is a damned tool.........and so are people who use dyno numbers like a ruler at a dick measuring contest.

Of course dyno sheets count, they count to the yukapuk at the local cruise in that has a sheet instead of a time slip!

I don't understand your reasoning behind switching.

I thought the tvs blowers were more efficeint than the whipples, thus why some people make the swap. Note I'm not talking about the larger units, but the base units.

N

navbtcret

I for one do not care about dyno numbers. I just posted the info because this is a new kit and info needs to be put out for those that are interested so they can make an informed decision if they are looking into buying the kit. I'll have some track numbers for it soon with this set up and those are the ones I believe.

Hell when my car had the 4.0 in it and the X-Charger I got a best of 282 rwhp on Mike's dyno but I ran a 12.9 with that on full trim too. How many cars with a dyno under 300 run in the 12's. The only thing I ever take out of my car is the spare tire when I am at the track.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SD it didn't use to be that way. Dyno's shops and tuners were not that prevalent and most of the guys using them were racers and they used them as the tool they are meant to be. I think the "how much does your car dyno" crap started with the ricers and their shit boxes. Now, as we all know, there are way too many guys that think dyno numbers are the only thing that counts. The dyno shops are caught in the middle and I think that's why, as Mike said, some shops use fudged correction factors to make thier tunes look better with higher rwhp numbers to get more business. As we all know the only real number that counts is the one you get on your time slip.

Back on topic I think there must be a manufacturing problem with the Edlebrock to have so many different rusults from the same supercharger. Some have had good luck and some haven't been able to get the kit to perform properly. The design looks like it is well engeniered I think it must be a quality control problem.

Earl

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
SD it didn't use to be that way. Dyno's shops and tuners were not that prevalent and most of the guys using them were racers and they used them as the tool they are meant to be. I think the "how much does your car dyno" crap started with the ricers and their shit boxes. Now, as we all know, there are way too many guys that think dyno numbers are the only thing that counts.

Don't I know it, Earl. I was caught in the initial dyno numbers uprising in the Mustang community when I had the engine business. The dyno number was the "Holy Grail" for most dolts on the lesser message boards (as I call them these days). I watched people call smart racers liars just because they were going much faster with less dyno-shown horsepower. And if one company's cylinder heads showed a five horsepower gain over another company's heads then the whole mob would destroy the original company's reputation and flock to the new company. Pathetic. Back then I still held to my belief that dynos don't win drag races. Engine or chassis dyno. Same with flow benches. "Well Company "B" has heads that outflow your heads by four cfm so your stuff is junk." Then they jump on a board and rip your company a new one while the bandwagons are piled up with other dolts.

The only numbers I'm worried about are the numbers on the big boards at the finish line.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Well....since I'm no longer a business owner like Mike I don't have to be nearly as nice anymore. :laughlots:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So just to be perfectly clear because I don't want to get lost....

Dyno numbers don't equal ETs, but 8th to 1/4th conversion charts are still ok, right?:beerdrink:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back