Brake Pads. Which ones?

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I’m looking for brake pad recommendations. I’ve looked over some old threads and found some usual info, but the actual design of the track seems to be a big factor in what pad would be best.

I’m looking for a dual purpose street/track pad. I know many people swap back and forth, but I’m not that dedicated. I just want to drive to the track and race.

Here is a map of the course. This is the only one I will ever be driving on. Fast cars are completing a lap in 60-65 seconds. Race direction is counter clockwise. Races are 10 laps, so 10-12 minutes of straight racing. During HPDE events, sessions are capped at 5 laps.

There is a ¼ mile straight away, but the corner leading out of that is not sharp. From what I’ve been told the 2 serious braking areas are the humps, going from maybe 100 mph to 40 mph.

Rotors and calipers are GT stock. Agent 47 cooling ducts will be feeding them fresh air. I will be decreasing boost to ~ 7 psi for road racing, making about 400-415 whp.

What pads?

gimlimap_reduced.jpg

gimlisections.jpg

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
How long is that track? 0.5 miles? :confused: EBC Yellowstuff will probably be your best bet for dual-purpose.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I decided to ditch the Carbotech XP12s and Hawk DTC-70 performance pads and try the new FF-01-BC pads (Fred Flintstone 01 Before Christ) - they look like they would work well on a heavy car with a stiff suspension, especially if you're carrying a passenger, LOL.

Seriously, though - looks like you will be doing a LOT of braking on this very short course if you're accelerating and pushing as hard as you can between braking zones. If you only want to use a street/track pad - a trade off between grip, durability and price - the Yellow Stuff isn't bad, but expect to change them out when you're done with this event, they will be toast.

l_dee571608a4942f99d6aa251412628c4.jpg

Last edited:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Who changed my title? How dare you!!!

Seriously, though - looks like you will be doing a LOT of braking on this very short course if you're accelerating and pushing as hard as you can between braking zones. If you only want to use a street/track pad - a trade off between grip, durability and price - the Yellow Stuff isn't bad, but expect to change them out when you're done with this event, they will be toast.
The yellowstuff pads were the pads that I was most considering.
They will last one event? Are you talking about front & rear pads? That will add up way too fast.
Anyone know anyting about KVR carbon fiber pads? Re:track suitability & street behavior

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Who changed my title? How dare you!!!

They will last one event? Fuck....which way to the auto X course??

eye down't beleaf it, sum nurve hee haz!

I'm sure the YellowStuff will last more than one event especially since they're only 10 to 12 minute sessions and you're only doing 5 (HPDE) to 10 (racing) laps per session. Perhaps I was exaggerating just a little. You'll be fine with these. Try them and let us know what you think - its a good street/track pad. I used them for 3 two day HPDE events on my Celica GT (lighter than the Mustang GT) with very good results - no fade on a short course with lots of turns before I had to change them out.

Last edited:

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Being that 60 seconds is the average time tells me that is a pretty fast course. Assuming your skill level is the same as the others I would look into the hawk hp+ (not hps) they have worked great on my 08 (stock cali, ate, qms brakes ducts & SS lines). They do show signs of fade after about the 15 min mark. I run a similiar layout in either 1.4 or 1.6 mile layout with top speed in my steed @ 130 into a 40mph hairpin. So you should be fine. I hear good things about the "yellow stuff" as well its just preference. Good luck Bud!

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
HP Plus squeal like a dump truck coming to a stop on the street. They don't quiet down until they get to track temperatures.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
HP+ squeak only when braking extremely hard not on the street. From my personel experience. I've had nothing but good luck with the HP+ pads.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
HP Plus squeal like a dump truck coming to a stop on the street. They don't quiet down until they get to track temperatures.

I experienced the same thing with these pads. I wound up throwing them out before I wore them out because of the metallic squeeling - sounded horrible on the street.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I've got Yellowstuff right now..not a bad pad for dual purpose use. Once they're bedded in, they're OEM silent, dust isn't too bad either. On the track, I could fade them after 2-3 hot laps, after getting my ducting set up they'll stand up to a fair amount of abuse. I've got I think 3 DE's (4 20 minute sessions) and one open lapping day on them, I'd say there's an event or two left in them. I'm not super hard on my brakes I don't think but probably noteworthy is that I have GT500 brakes..I would imagine they might not last as long with stock GT brakes.

+1 on the HP+. Had them on a different car, noisy bastards they are.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
You might want to wait until the Bluestuff pads are available.

I'm not sure how street friendly those would be. With my yellows, I can definitely tell when the brakes are cold if it's cool outside. Guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Edit: I take that back..maybe. Looking at their site you'd think the yellows are more aggressive than blue (higher friction coefficient, .6 yellow vs. .55 blue). Gray Ghost is testing some apparently later this year, maybe he knows more (and I'm surprised he didn't mention them?).

Last edited:

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how street friendly those would be. With my yellows, I can definitely tell when the brakes are cold if it's cool outside. Guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Edit: I take that back..maybe. Looking at their site you'd think the yellows are more aggressive than blue (higher friction coefficient, .6 yellow vs. .55 blue). Gray Ghost is testing some apparently later this year, maybe he knows more (and I'm surprised he didn't mention them?).

Some one did mention they were testing the Bluestuff pads but I couldn't find the thread.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Yellowstuff had terrible dusting when I had stock brakes, however it washed off very easily.

Bluestuff, as I understand it, is not a dual-purpose pad. It is EBC's first foray into a race-only pad.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess I'll start with the yellowstuff and see what happens.

May 1 & 2 is the annual HPDE (which I need to obtain a license) then there are only 3 more race dates for the year :(. If I can get through those 5 events I'll be satisfied.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back