cam install help

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I have a set of mutha thumpers I want to install and need a good writeup on it. I have the cams, phaser limiters, and new TTY cam bolts. The ford writeup only has instruction for dropping in cams without new phasers or lockouts. Should I have lockouts installed instead? The shop I talked to said he would have to take out the stock phasers all together and rebuild them with the limiters installed in them and it would cost $300 more. He quoted me $450 for a drop in cam install and $750 for the cams with limiters. What are my options here? I know plenty of people here have done the install themselves, but I only have a limited set of tools and not many friends who are mechanically inclined enough to help. (last one who tried helping ended up stripping my head on a valve cover install)

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You need limiters with Mutha Thumpers? I didn't think you did.

If not swapping the cams is stupid easy if you have two people. I can do it faster than I can get the valve covers off with no special tools.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
everything I am seeing says they are necessary. any idea of how hard it is to install them?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Unbolt the back plate and put them in for livernois. Replace the back plate for comp. Livernois are cheaper, easier to install, and work very well. I've run both.

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
i went on youtube and typed in how to install cams in a s197 u might be able to find the link in one of the old threads and also get a cam timing chain it will save a lot of headace!!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/475980-hot-rod-cam-installation-guide.html

here is the best cam install write-up I've seen and used. As for the phaser limiters, I believe the destructions are on the Comp Cams website

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...omp_cams_phaser_limiters_install/viewall.html

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/COMP4-122.pdf

I think you have to do the cam phaser limiter with the Mutha Thumpers, and good luck getting them tuned without throwing CELS. I remember they were a nightmare to tune, so hopefully not so.

If you need any help over the phone installing the cams, lmk. As for the phasers, I've never done those.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/475980-hot-rod-cam-installation-guide.html

here is the best cam install write-up I've seen and used. As for the phaser limiters, I believe the destructions are on the Comp Cams website

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...omp_cams_phaser_limiters_install/viewall.html

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/COMP4-122.pdf

I think you have to do the cam phaser limiter with the Mutha Thumpers, and good luck getting them tuned without throwing CELS. I remember they were a nightmare to tune, so hopefully not so.

If you need any help over the phone installing the cams, lmk. As for the phasers, I've never done those.

Willie (Hammeron) did a nice write up for a cam swap. It's so good that Freedom Racing has it on their website.

Comp does recommend limiters with the MT cams. I'm at a loss as to why though. They don't have over .5 lift.

IMO a good tuner shouldn't have any problems tuning them. Especially if he has experience with them.

OP do yourself a favor and get a timing chain wedge from Freedom Racing for this swap since you will be pulling the phasers. I've used a hose and the two different wedges. For what you are doing you want the wedge. It locks in place and insures the chains won't move.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I have a homemade wedge you can borrow. Cams are pretty easy. The only speciality tool you will need is a torque wrench and the cam wedge. Lockout/limiters are simple install.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One thing I would recommend is getting another set of phasers and installing the limiters in them first. It's much easier to just switch phasers during the install then it is to stop the cam install, install the limiters in the old phasers and then get back to finishing the cam install. You can sell the ones you pull out to offset the cost of another set of phasers.

Earl

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
One thing I would recommend is getting another set of phasers and installing the limiters in them first. It's much easier to just switch phasers during the install then it is to stop the cam install, install the limiters in the old phasers and then get back to finishing the cam install. You can sell the ones you pull out to offset the cost of another set of phasers.

Earl

This is good advice.

And if you do it this way and have a friend helping you don't need the cam chain wedge tool.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
If you install the lockouts you can unbolt the back and slide the cover over leaving one bolt in place loose, just be aware that the one bolt you leave in is the one holding the spring in place. If your using comp limiters you get the tool to compress the spring and a tool to lock it while you unbolt the back.

Also they must of done a revision on the phaser, I just recently installed new ones and the spring is a bit different. Much thinner than the original.. Both are Ford Motor Parts

ZklinUA.jpg

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
To add to what Earl said make sure that the fasteners are correctly torqued. IIRC it's 145 inch pounds which is a lot for that small of a fastener. Don't do a goodntight because you won't put enough on it.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
yeah im gonna ditch the comp ones and go with the livernois ones

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna throw this in. Mark the timing chain good. My first time installing my cams my right side chain jumped a tooth. I hand marked it with a sharpee but the mark came off when I was pulling it apart. Ended up having to pull the timing cover to re time. Not trying to scare you just giving yo some extra info. My first time took me about an hour and a half to do both cams start to finish. I also let the cams soak in a quart of oil for a few hours before install. I was very intimidated to do this job at first but after I did it It wasn't to bad. The worst part is being bent over the car. Also I do recomend getting the timing chain wedge if you don't want to remove the timing cover. I made my own and obviously it didn't work lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back