4.6 Aluminum Block

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
Been researching this for the past few weeks. Can anyone tell me if a 3L2E block casting out of an 03 explorer is the same block used in the 05+ mustangs? Are there 4 different aluminum 4.6 blocks (Teksid, WAP, WAP/NVH, 05+ 3V), or are there just 3 (Teksid, WAP, WAP/NVH) with WAP/NVH being used in the 05+ cars. I've been finding conflicting info. Thanks for the help.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
AFIAK, the Teksid blocks were only made from '93-'99 and were the strongest production Ford 4.6L aluminum blocks. The '01+ blocks are the 5lb lighter WAP versions, and the 3V NVH block is an evolution of the WAP with thicker oil pan rails.
There was also a FWD block used in the Lincoln Continental that's incompatible for RWD applications.

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
There's debate between which is strongest between the teksid and the 3V, but i'm not worried about that. The 3L2E casting number that is on the 05+ cars is also on the 03-05 explorers, is what i have read around the forums. I'm just trying to see if that's correct. If it is correct, are they the same blocks?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
There's debate between which is strongest between the teksid and the 3V, but i'm not worried about that.

The 3L2E casting number that is on the 05+ cars is also on the 03-05 explorers, is what i have read around the forums.

I'm just trying to see if that's correct. If it is correct, are they the same blocks?

The Exploders used a different casting, the 05 used a different manufacturing process that increased the strength considerably over the earlier WAP block.

That being sed, the Exploder blocks appear to handle 800hp easy enough.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Search posts by "BruceH" he did a lot of posting on this subject IIRC

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I've read up on this a lot already, and have seen Bruce's posts alot.
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54810

It appears this thread says that the 3L2E blocks are for the 05+ mustangs,
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65462&highlight=Explorer+motor

This thread however has 19COBRA93 saying the 3L2E blocks came in the 03-05 explorers. I'm wanting to know which is true. Are they two different blocks with the same 3L2E casting numbers?

Some numbers are being mixed up in there, The ford part # for the WAP block started with 3L2Z .. the Explorer/Mach 1 had a WAP block with casting 1L2e-6015-xx ..

Word was Ford Engineers were seeing cracks in the the WAP block under boost so that's why they used an iron block in the 03/04 Cobra.

The 3v casting is 3L2E-6015-CC was a redesigned 3v block with more aluminium [hense the reason it weighs a few pounds more] to beef it up over the earlier 1L block. It's stout but not unbreakable.

Interesting side note, the 3v block doesn't use the "W" foundary mark found on the earlier WAP block, It's cast by NEMAK and uses a funky square interlocking "N" logo above the casting #.

You can see some of the differences in the blocks from these pictures off the CrownVic forum. 3v on the left, WAP block on right.

rmvfyx.jpg

2aacapz.jpg

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
So the consensus i'm getting then is that the 3L2E that was in the 05+ mustangs was never in any of the exploders correct?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The 3v casting is 3L2E-6015-CC was a redesigned 3v block with more aluminium [hense the reason it weighs a few pounds more] to beef it up over the earlier 1L block. It's stout but not unbreakable.

The 3v block is plenty strong and good for 1000hp. With blueprinting and deburring it can match the Teksid's ability to handle 1500hp.
You'll be breaking other 3v components (such as rods & pistons) long before you break the block.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So the consensus i'm getting then is that the 3L2E that was in the 05+ mustangs was never in any of the exploders correct?

It's been awhile since I've looked all the info up but iirc the 1E is the Mustang block and the 2E is the Explorer. I could have this mixed up.

The bottom line is that the Explorer block had about 5lbs more aluminum to help with nvh. AFAIK it was otherwise identical to the Mustang block.

The Terminators did use an iron block. They aren't known for being stronger but the story goes that one of the engineers involved just couldn't accept the fact that an aluminum block could be a better choice.

AFAIK none of the modular block are known for splitting or breaking like the previous sbf blocks did. Any modular block is a huge improvement over a stock small block ford like the 302. HUGE.

Last edited:

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Went to look at an 03 exploder in a salvage yard, but couldn't see the casting number without ripping a bunch of stuff out. I'm just going to try and get the 05+ block then. Those blocks are for sure the 3L2E with the Nemak symbol on them, i just looked at my 07. If i had to guess, the 1L2E blocks were used for the 4.6 aluminum blocks up until the 05+ block was introduced into the mustang.

For all who are interested.
02-05 explorer 1L2E WAP block (still up for debate, not confirmed)
mach 1's 1L2E WAP block
Early 4Vs Teksid
05+ Mustangs 3L2E block cast at Windsor Alum. Plant by Nemak. Supposedly
strongest ever made according to ford with chilled bulkhead process.

This gives a good explanation of the different castings and markings, though it doesn't say anything about the explorer blocks i don't believe.
http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Went to look at an 03 exploder in a salvage yard, but couldn't see the casting number without ripping a bunch of stuff out. I'm just going to try and get the 05+ block then. Those blocks are for sure the 3L2E with the Nemak symbol on them, i just looked at my 07. If i had to guess, the 1L2E blocks were used for the 4.6 aluminum blocks up until the 05+ block was introduced into the mustang.

For all who are interested.
02-05 explorer 1L2E WAP block (still up for debate, not confirmed)
mach 1's 1L2E WAP block
Early 4Vs Teksid
05+ Mustangs 3L2E block cast at Windsor Alum. Plant by Nemak. Supposedly
strongest ever made according to ford with chilled bulkhead process.

This gives a good explanation of the different castings and markings, though it doesn't say anything about the explorer blocks i don't believe.
http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

FWIW I've used a 1L WAP block for a build. The motor made 699rwhp on E 85. Never had an issue other than a slight mismatch on the front cover. It was accounted for with a blob of rtv prior to install.

Graham3913

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure about the F-150 blocks, currently at work, can't really look into it.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
You need more than just the 3L2E code to know which block you have, You want to get a 3L2E 6510 CC block, those are 3v blocks from 05+ mustangs and that will hold 1000 rwhp. There are also 3L2E 6510 CB blocks that came from explorers and are not nearly as strong - supposedly 600 rwhp max. The CB blocks are also a little different on the front where you have to install a plug into one of the hole in the timing cover to prevent oil from leaking out. I know this from firsthand experience :)

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You need more than just the 3L2E code to know which block you have, You want to get a 3L2E 6510 CC block, those are 3v blocks from 05+ mustangs and that will hold 1000 rwhp. There are also 3L2E 6510 CB blocks that came from explorers and are not nearly as strong - supposedly 600 rwhp max. The CB blocks are also a little different on the front where you have to install a plug into one of the hole in the timing cover to prevent oil from leaking out. I know this from firsthand experience :)

Your cracked block was a 3L2E? For some reason I remember it being a 1L, were there more than one that cracked?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Your cracked block was a 3L2E? For some reason I remember it being a 1L, were there more than one that cracked?

Correct, 3L2E 6015 CB was the second block that cracked on mem actually the one I bought from you lol. When that happened I bought another one from JDM Engineering, they informed me at that time the "CB" blocks are only good to around 600 rwhp. It's the 6015 CC blocks that will hold 1000+. And yes, I now have 3 cracked blocks at my house..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back