Spent my weekend building my engine!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

block back from the machine shop:$460
stock bore,all measurements checked.honed.
crank,flywheel,rods/pistons and UDP all balanced
flywheel turned
rings file fitted

Picture001-1.jpg

table full of parts:
manley rods with arp 2000 bolts
JE -17CC pistons
all ARP fasteners
Stock crank
GT500 oil pump
canton/MMR windage tray

Picture007.jpg

assembly lube

Picture004.jpg

this book sucks for what it says it is,it didnt help me much at all,dont waste your money.

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture008.jpg

main studs in and bearings lubed up,arp main studs torqued to 22 on the outer bolts and 60 on the bigger inner bolts,side bolts torqued to 30 (all ft-lbs)

Picture009.jpg

crank in, untorqued and re-torqued 3 times to get the lube worked in real good.

Picture010.jpg

JE psitons w/ 4 lock rings per piston,this took some time.

Picture011.jpg

Picture012.jpg

All pistons in,all rings offset properly, and ring gap at .022.piston to wall clearance is .004.

Picture014.jpg

GT500 oil pump installed

Picture015.jpg

rear main seal installed and oil slinger.i used the old gasket as my tool to force the new gasket in by tapping it in with a hammer. i just put the old gasket ontop of the new gasket and tapped on the old gasket.the oil slinger slide right in,just had to force it in with the flatside of a hex head wrench.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Picture013.jpg

head studs installed, these are the 2v head stud kit,worked great and was $150 cheaper than the 3v kit.i have no idea what the difference is between the two kits,i cant see how they would have fit any better.OEM headgaskets installed.

Picture016.jpg

Heads are on and timing chain all lined up,rotated the whole assembly about 30 times and each time all the timing marks were dead on.ARp studs toruqed to 100ft-lbs over 4 steps 30,60,90 and then 100.

Picture017.jpg

Stripped the timing cover down for some TLC, i ended up just spray painting it silver so it would look new again.

Picture018.jpg

Canton/MMR windage tray installed,suppose to free up 15HP,main reason for using it though was so becuase ARP does not make a main stud kit for our cars that uses the stock windage tray that i am awear of.so this worked out nice.

Picture019.jpg

2 OEM oil pan gaskets used to sandwich the canton windage tray, and MMR oil pan stud kit.

Picture020.jpg

re-did all my oil feed lines.

Picture021.jpg

1/4 nipple from the stock sender hole,1/4 3-way,1/4 90 elbow for the stock sender,1/4 to 1/8 adaptor for the -3 an line,that goes to 1/8 3-way,which has the aeroforce sender unit in it and the other port is for the -3an turbo feed.

Picture022.jpg

Used for pumping up the oil system,worked awesome!!

Picture023.jpg

tensioner getting PUMPED up!!

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

I filled up the sprayer with 2 quarts, used a peice of hose and a 1/8 barb fitting into the turbo feed line,and pumped away.I left the timing chain cover off while i pumped to make sure it was working.

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

all buttoned up.

next i pick up my clutch from kim-05gt, then i can throw the motor in.still have to buy and re-route my downpipe to increase its size and also need to buy a bigger wastegate and re-route that piping. I upgraded to 52# injectors and sold the 39#.Hopeing to be back up and on the dyno in the next 2 weeks.

it took me a total of 25 hours to get it this far.

Last edited:

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I decide to keep my car, this may be of great use. Excellent job! Did you pick up an entire forged rotating assembly or just upgrade the rods and pistons?

Once again, excellent work! :clap:

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
one eyed, man, awesome write up bro....I am saving this and using it was a guide here in the next couple of weeks...

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
Um, pretty much <3
GREAT detailed work with plenty of pictures.
+1 for the link to the ford manual this is some absolutely fantastic work, bookmarked for when I start building my engine.

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
Great job, nice pics and great write up. Thank you. How much cash you got into it?

Back