FRPP Hotrod cam owners, I need help......

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Mustang GT (Automatic) that I had the FRPP Hotrod Cam installed on. When the car is at a low idle sitting still (parked) it runs fine, it also runs fine at freeway speeds. However, in stop and go traffic conditions or low rpm cruising in town light to light driving the O/D off light will start flashing and the car starts driving badly (wont shift, higher revs between shifts, stuff like that). If I pull over and shut the car down then restart it and get out of the conditions mentioned it runs great. Anyone else have a similar problem or heard of this. With the stock cams in I NEVER had this problem. The tunes are from Bamachips, the tune the day of the install was not modified for the cams and it had this problem, the tune for the cams has this problem also. Could it still be a tune issue or something else?

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
Its all in the tune. Have whoever did your tune to go back over the tune

ZeroSVT

Whos watching?
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Mustang GT (Automatic) that I had the FRPP Hotrod Cam installed on. When the car is at a low idle sitting still (parked) it runs fine, it also runs fine at freeway speeds. However, in stop and go traffic conditions or low rpm cruising in town light to light driving the O/D off light will start flashing and the car starts driving badly (wont shift, higher revs between shifts, stuff like that). If I pull over and shut the car down then restart it and get out of the conditions mentioned it runs great. Anyone else have a similar problem or heard of this. With the stock cams in I NEVER had this problem. The tunes are from Bamachips, the tune the day of the install was not modified for the cams and it had this problem, the tune for the cams has this problem also. Could it still be a tune issue or something else?

Give us a call so we can discuss the issue.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
please keep an open mind as well. sometimes tunes need tweaking.

i just had Hot Rod cams installed and my check engine light just came on.

No big deal...i called my tuner, let him know whats up and id clear the code with my SCT XCal3 and write the code that it was throwing down.

if it comes back on, he said to give him a call and we'll get it fixed. just all part of the game...sometimes things take a little bit of fiddling with :beerchug2:

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score

No big deal...i called my tuner, let him know whats up and id clear the code with my SCT XCal3 and write the code that it was throwing down.

if it comes back on, he said to give him a call and we'll get it fixed. just all part of the game...sometimes things take a little bit of fiddling with :beerchug2:

how do you like them so far? Any sounds clips with the mac's?

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
how do you like them so far? Any sounds clips with the mac's?
i really like them. nice and lopey...the torque curve was nice and flat, and i didnt notice any loss in bottom end power at all (4.10s could be masking that though)

i dont have any sound clips, though with the longtubes, o/r X-pipe and the MAC axle back its pretty damn loud

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score

Just curious...what was the code?

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
Got a new tune from Matt at Bamachips yesterday evening that was written from a base file. I installed tune and drove the car down the street to my buddys house and around the hood. Light never came on, it usually (90% of the time) comes on. The true test will be on the way home from work today because I'll be in stop and go traffic where the O/D off light would always start flashing. I'll keep everyone updated...........

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
Well, bad news, the O/D light still flashes. It did it once on the way to work in stop and go traffic and then again when I went to get lunch (no traffic) just down the street. I am beginning to regret doing cams. The car was with no problems before I installed the cams, this is the 3rd (or 4th?) tune I have had sent to me from Bamachips with no resolution to this problem. I cant see this being a trans problem when with the stock cams it ran fine. Its either the cams themselves or the tune in my opinion, I just do not know at this point. When the light does flash I am not near a dealership and if I turn the car off the problem goes away until the next incident so unless it happens while I am next to a dealership I cant have the codes read.

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Well, bad news, the O/D light still flashes. It did it once on the way to work in stop and go traffic and then again when I went to get lunch (no traffic) just down the street. I am beginning to regret doing cams. The car was with no problems before I installed the cams, this is the 3rd (or 4th?) tune I have had sent to me from Bamachips with no resolution to this problem. I cant see this being a trans problem when with the stock cams it ran fine. Its either the cams themselves or the tune in my opinion, I just do not know at this point. When the light does flash I am not near a dealership and if I turn the car off the problem goes away until the next incident so unless it happens while I am next to a dealership I cant have the codes read.

youre just gonna have to be patient.
sometimes this kind of stuff happens...ive heard a couple of other people having issues with cams and and auto tranny. youre just gonna have to let your tuner work these issues out.
every car is different and sometimes these things take several tries to get things right.

how are you working this with your tuner? via phone/email or are you going there directly

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
Is there anyway to datalog with the sct x3? I know it can be done but what parameters/settings need to be selected, then, how do I pull the info off to send to the tuner?

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
OK, got another tune last night, so far so good, was in heavy traffic and no light! Keeping fingers Crossed. Thanks Matt and Wes@TPS........

AirGoNomyk

Owned by a 3 legged dog
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to datalog with the sct x3? I know it can be done but what parameters/settings need to be selected, then, how do I pull the info off to send to the tuner?

Originally Posted by street_stallions

Why do you need a dealer to read the code?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back