rpm signal...square wave??

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
so im installing my new e-boost street boost controller. it needs a rpm signal, im also installing a raptor shift light that needs a rpm signal. so i grabbed the #8 coil white/red i think (not the solid red), and the raptor seems to be working fine but the boost controller does not show the correct RPM. i set it to 8 cylinders but its still fugged up.in the instructions it says it can do a "square wave" signal, what the hell is that? is there a different wire i should be hooking this thing up to?i can see numbers bouncing around they just dont make any since to me.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
In a COP car you should set it to 1 cylinder engine.

And you have the right wire, any non red coils wire would do it.

I have not setup the oscilloscope to that signal to check it up but it won't an square wave. Maybe a peak with some ripple at every ignition event. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
In a COP car you should set it to 1 cylinder engine.

And you have the right wire, any non red coils wire would do it.

I have not setup the oscilloscope to that signal to check it up but it won't an square wave. Maybe a peak with some ripple at every ignition event. But I could be wrong.

I would agree with this. You should be on #1, not #8. Yes, almost all ignition systems are sqr wave. All COP systems are linear sqr wave. It means (more or less) "on at full voltage, off at no voltage" compared to ramping voltage such as with an AC signwave or Sawtooth wave.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I tried replying to your pm man but they haven't been working worth a shit lately on my end for some reason ......not really sure bro I hooked up everything but that wire, I let my tuner tap that one as I had no idea either lol

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I would agree with this. You should be on #1, not #8. Yes, almost all ignition systems are sqr wave. All COP systems are linear sqr wave. It means (more or less) "on at full voltage, off at no voltage" compared to ramping voltage such as with an AC signwave or Sawtooth wave.

I never said cylinder 1, I said "1 cylinder" it doesn't matter what cylinder do you hook up, any cylinder has the same signal just at a a different time and all you are doing is measuring a frequency.

Is funny that you speak of voltages when these systems are ground switch based.

To OEW, to make your raptor work you had to configure it for one cylinder too, right?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I never said cylinder 1, I said "1 cylinder" it doesn't matter what cylinder do you hook up, any cylinder has the same signal just at a a different time and all you are doing is measuring a frequency.

Is funny that you speak of voltages when these systems are ground switch based.

To OEW, to make your raptor work you had to configure it for one cylinder too, right?

Dude, why are you always such an asshole when you reply to me? It's getting old.

Big whop, I misread your post. Yes the same signal is at every COP, big deal. I thought you recommended #1. I always tap 1 for everything timing related sence that is what the whole timing curcuit is based on.

And just so everyone knows what a dumbass you are for correcting me (why does that sound familiar) it makes no diff whatsoever if you are switching the voltage on, or switching a ground on, your are turning voltage and current flow on and off to make the step-up transformer (cop) work. Do some reseach will ya...

Don't try to play the electronics game with me bro. I have been an Electronics and Computer Systems Engineer for more than 18 years. I forgot more about the flow of electrons and atomic structure then you will ver know.

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, why are you always such an asshole when you reply to me? It's getting old.

Big whop, I misread your post. Yes the same signal is at every COP, big deal. I thought you recommended #1. I always tap 1 for everything timing related sence that is what the whole timing curcuit is based on.

And just so everyone knows what a dumbass you are for correcting me (why does that sound familiar) it makes no diff whatsoever if you are switching the voltage on, or switching a ground on, your are turning voltage and current flow on and off to make the step-up transformer (cop) work. Do some reseach will ya...

Don't try to play the electronics game with me bro. I have been an Electronics and Computer Systems Engineer for more than 18 years. I forgot more about the flow of atoms then you will ver know.

I don't know what do you refer to when you say the circuitry is based on cylinder one since every cop is independent with a common positive line, it has nothing to do with what is going in the cylinder one as every cylinder is handle differently at every ignite. It has the same signal when it is seen from the RPM point of view but each one has its own signal, you can set and spark adder per cylinder separately from the others for example.

So there is no difference (RPM wise) on what COP you choose to take the signal from, take the one that is easier for wiring purposes.

Now, on the other comment, I never said something to denigrate you so calm down dude, I just said that it was funny to talk about voltage when actually voltage is always applied to it, that is it. I would like to see how the signal actually looks like when even one thinks that it is a square wave on the paper but how the inductive load will affect it and what is actually seen.

I don't have to give my background to validate an statement and I do have my background and I know more of "electrons" flow that you think of (atom flow in electronics is new to me, I got to give you that).

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
thanx guys,its working ! strange thing is when im at idle, it reads right then the numbers bounce around ,dont make much since. when i drive,it stays steady like normal.

now i just have to get the vacuum hoses routed correctly.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
thanx guys,its working ! strange thing is when im at idle, it reads right then the numbers bounce around ,dont make much since. when i drive,it stays steady like normal.

now i just have to get the vacuum hoses routed correctly.

It could be a normal occurrence because the low input frequency (don't know the refresh frequency that eboost uses) of watching a single signal on multiple cylinder engine, also idle spark advance varies A LOT while idling, if the system used a multiple cylinder input, they would average but using just one cylinder does not helps.

Think of it like this, what the gauge is measuring is basically the time that passes between two signal clock edges (up or down) and with the advance varying a lot while idling this time varies a lot too, so the calculated RPM, so its instability.

Hope I explained myself clearly enough.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
yeah,makes sence.just re-routed all the vac lines, now i have to get this thing dialed in.why cant they make a controller that you just tell it what psi you want to be at and its smart enough to keep you there? this thing works off duty cycle so its a bunch of trial and error. then i have to do the same thing to get the rpm drop off correction,i have to tell it what rpm the boost drops and what rpm my shift point is and then do a percentage of how much correcion i want.why cant i just tell it...12PSI,lol.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
yeah,makes sence.just re-routed all the vac lines, now i have to get this thing dialed in.why cant they make a controller that you just tell it what psi you want to be at and its smart enough to keep you there? this thing works off duty cycle so its a bunch of trial and error. then i have to do the same thing to get the rpm drop off correction,i have to tell it what rpm the boost drops and what rpm my shift point is and then do a percentage of how much correcion i want.why cant i just tell it...12PSI,lol.

Yes, the boost groups philosophy of the eboost takes a while to get used to it, but at the end is a great boost controller.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Yes, the boost groups philosophy of the eboost takes a while to get used to it, but at the end is a great boost controller.

im happy with it so far,when i was using the aem i kept dropping boost up high in the rpms. i played with this thing for just a few minutes so far and im already holding steady boost until redline.....awesome!!

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
shit.. I'm an ITT Tech grad... you guys aint got shit on me! and,or,nor,nand gates.. I'm the Wesley Crusher of my time!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back