TSS 4.6L 3V Billet Oil Pump Gears

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
My 4.6L 3V billet oil pump gears should be arriving tomorrow. Can anyone give me the recommended torque spec on the tapered screws which retain the cover?

Thanks

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on who you ask. I use 100 inch pounds with blue Loctite. Other people say to back off the torque if you use Loctite. I've always done the pumps at 100 inch pounds and it works.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Should be 80-100 inch pounds.

Depends on who you ask. I use 100 inch pounds with blue Loctite. Other people say to back off the torque if you use Loctite. I've always done the pumps at 100 inch pounds and it works.

Sounds good.

By the way, Craig @ TSS also confirmed 89 inch lbs. Thanks for the response

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
They don't shatter and kill engines like the stock powdered metal gears. Stockers will break when exposed to harmonics from detonation or severe up/down rpm.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Someone on the modularford boards had a picture of his gears scattered.... then he put the billet gears in and made quiet a few dyno pulls just over 700 wrhp I beleive

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Supposedly melling came out with there 3v pump also now , while I don't know the specifics on this one yet the termi guys swear by it .

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
So stock gears shatter above 600-700 RWHP...?
So a 550 crank HP 3V is OK with stock gears?

Whats involved in the install? Can this be done without tearing up the engine?

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So stock gears shatter above 600-700 RWHP...?
So a 550 crank HP 3V is OK with stock gears?

No there is no hp limit some bust some don't easy as that !

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen the stock gears break with mildly modified N/A engines and seen them live with 600 hp blower setups. And the other way around.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Supposedly melling came out with there 3v pump also now , while I don't know the specifics on this one yet the termi guys swear by it .

I spoke to Justin Burcham a few weeks ago and he swears by the Melling oil pumps

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score

You know the front of your engine? All that's got to come off. The pump is below the water pump and just above the crankshaft, behind the timing cover and timing chains on the block. Oil pickup tube is into the oil pan of course.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Yea Beau, Melling does have one out. Whole pump for about the cost of the billet gears from TSS. The only problem was I couldn't find any reports on them when I was looking so I went with the TSS gears and the FRPP pump. At least that is what I am gonna put in the motor from SD.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oil pumps are NOT HP dependent. Detonation is usually the cause for broken oil pump gears.

When I bought mine from TSS they said they have run theirs up to 9000rpm without a failure.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
They have had one for awhile .(like in 06) It is ok if the VCT is turned off from what I understand . If you want a "3v" billet pump then the Triangle gears are it , but then I have been wrong before . LOL!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back