New engine break in

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Breaking in the new motor today and thought I would share how I am breaking it in on the advise of Justin Burcham and Rich Groh...

I primed the motor with oil first and foremost and then filled all the fluids. I am going to run 91 pump gas and stock plugs and let the car idle for about 20 minuets with a couple 2000-2500 rpm stabs here and there.

Shut it down and change the oil

91 gas and stock plugs - strap it on the dyno just to put a light to moderate load on the engine to seat the rings, I won't go into boost, I'll just heat cyle it twice this way, meaning give it a decent load for 5 minutes varying the load, not loading it steady the entire time. I'll keep the rpms between 2000 and 4000rpms.

I will do this once - shut it down and change the oil, then do it again.

Then I'm going to drain all the gas, put C-16 in there and the Brisk 2 colder heat range plugs gapped to .028 and I am going to put it on the dyno and set it just on the spring (minimum boost - 8 lbs) and I will pull the car to 6500 rpm checking for leaks, and dialing in the tune. I will wait five to ten minuets between each of the two pulls I am going to do.

Then shut it down and change the oil again. Then I'm going to set the boost for 18 psi and do a pull to 7000 rpm, wait 5-10 minuets and do a second one while adjusting the tune.

Shut it down and change the oil and set the boost to 22 psi and pull the car to 7500 rpm and dial in my final tune.

Car is broke-in and 'done' - that's the game plan anyway...:chairfall:

Been a long and exhausting haul but I am pretty hopeful for this new RGR/JPC power plant. This motor is by far the best of the best as far as construction goes, so hopefully it will perform as designed - got my fingers crossed...lol

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what brand oil are you going to use?? I want to go buy some stock in the company!

Good Luck Mark

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any videos of you going up and down the street :p

I know it has nothing to do with what you asked. Congrats on getting her all done I can wait to see it tear up the 1320

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what brand oil are you going to use?? I want to go buy some stock in the company!

Good Luck Mark
Thanks. I am going to run Valvoline 10W30 regular oil for the next couple months. Once I have a couple hundred miles on the car, I am going to switch to a synthetic truck oil.

For a 20 thousand dollar longblock - hell - I'll change the oil a hundred times if necessary to be safe...lol

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Nice Mark!! That is good info!!

I am with Matt....ready to see it run!!

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any videos of you going up and down the street :p

I know it has nothing to do with what you asked. Congrats on getting her all done I can wait to see it tear up the 1320

That makes two of us...:highfive:

I'll get some vids at the track - for now just concentrating on getting her dialed in.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice Mark!! That is good info!!

I am with Matt....ready to see it run!!

Thanks - me too...lol

We are pretty confident this car will be deep in the 8 sec zone and has a shot to see .20's-.30's under the right conditions. Definitely going to try to give Vinny a run at the title.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with the hard break in procedure, but the multiple oil changes are unnecessary.
After this first oil change, after the initial run in, I wouldn't change oil again until after you done tuning it.

That's just me though, and with all the shit you've been through, I can imagine you're doing what the gods are telling you.

Can't wait to see the final results.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with the hard break in procedure, but the multiple oil changes are unnecessary.
After this first oil change, after the initial run in, I wouldn't change oil again until after you done tuning it.

That's just me though, and with all the shit you've been through, I can imagine you're doing what the gods are telling you.

Can't wait to see the final results.

They (the gods) actually think I am changing the oil more than necessary as well...lol Oil is cheap and I also want to examine it closely every time and look for anything out of the ordinary in it so I am just changing it a bunch of times. Over-cautious - sure - but hey - I admit it - I'm scared - I am being very cautious with this thing. This motor is too expensive to 'rush' getting it set up properly. I will go as slow as it takes.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What about the oil filter? When I broke mine in I ran it for 20minutes and then changed the oil and filter.

Brain_Mach1

Reaction score
You are playing it very safe with multiple oil changes, nothing wrong with that.

When I worked for a motorcycle manufacturer, we used to change the oil after a 100 mile break-in. After having the oil tested and it was still increadibly clean, we stopped wasting time/oil.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What about the oil filter? When I broke mine in I ran it for 20minutes and then changed the oil and filter.

I am going to change the oil filter after the last oil change right before the 22 psi pulls.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Great Mark, glad to see you got you bullett!

Lets see who has the title at the end of the year! You got a hint of my plans, please keep them to your self till I roll out, but then I hope to see you in the beams sometime!!!!!

Chris

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Mark!!! Let me know where and when you're taking to a dragstrip. I'd like to see it run. And if I had gone through everything you have gone through, I'd be over-cautious, too.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new motor...Hope all goes well with the break in and the next couple (weeks,months, or years) of driving and racing it.

Big Daddy

Joe
Reaction score
I concur with the break-in procedure and really like the heat cycle durations and cool downs.

However, if you would, please explain your rational to the frequent oil changes.

I just don’t see any oil degradation with the cycles in your procedure. I can’t see new/unseated rings contaminating the oil to the degree you are suggesting. I could see a filter change and cutaway for inspection of particles, etc, but I am not prescribing to the four oil changes.

Enlighten me and make me a believer
icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with the new motor and break-in
smiley-happy088.gif

vinnybarber

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks - me too...lol

We are pretty confident this car will be deep in the 8 sec zone and has a shot to see .20's-.30's under the right conditions. Definitely going to try to give Vinny a run at the title.

Glad to hear it's about ready. Hope it goes well.
When your ready to run. Bring it on.

But remember I haven' t even leaned on mine yet

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The oil will cost a lot less than the dyno time for breaking it in so really it's cheap insurance.
Heck, I'd probably change the filter and cut it open at every change as well.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's about ready. Hope it goes well.
When your ready to run. Bring it on.

But remember I haven' t even leaned on mine yet

You're still the 'man'...lol Truth be told, I won't be 'leaning' on mine for quite some time. I'm not going over 22 psi for quite awhile. I'll be happy with the west coast title and I'll definitely come across the mississippi to see your awesome machine run in person. Justin and I have already been talking to Evan about showcasing the top 3V's in the US & Canada and setting up some kind of 'exhibition' in the near future for a feature. I know I will see you there if it happens. I always watch your progress with interest and excitement. Keep it up!!!:highfive:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back