New engine break in

vinnybarber

forum member
Reaction score
mark,

you also have a awesome car. It's great to see another 3v
coming. Just remember take your time it will get there.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
During the oil change you should change your oil in between oil changes while changing your oil at the same time as your changing your oil, while draining the oil for the oil change you just finished. just my IMO

stangzilla

forum member
Reaction score
good luck with the new motor, can't wait to see it run.
overly cautious is good, that's quite an investment you have there!

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
You're still the 'man'...lol Truth be told, I won't be 'leaning' on mine for quite some time. I'm not going over 22 psi for quite awhile. I'll be happy with the west coast title and I'll definitely come across the mississippi to see your awesome machine run in person. Justin and I have already been talking to Evan about showcasing the top 3V's in the US & Canada and setting up some kind of 'exhibition' in the near future for a feature. I know I will see you there if it happens. I always watch your progress with interest and excitement. Keep it up!!!:highfive:

HMMM when you guys thinking? I hope to be up and running at full steam before the summer, I lwould ove to play with the big dogs, I know I be able to run with you all!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I am going to run Valvoline 10W30 regular oil for the next couple months. Once I have a couple hundred miles on the car, I am going to switch to a synthetic truck oil.

When you say "regular oil" are you referring to a petroleum based oil instead of synthetic? Valvoline also offers a petroleum based 10W-30 (also 20W-50) VRI Racing Oil that contains higher levels of zinc to reduce engine wear. This is the oil that was recommended to me to run in my new motor.

If this was the oil you were planning on running please disregard this post

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you say "regular oil" are you referring to a petroleum based oil instead of synthetic? Valvoline also offers a petroleum based 10W-30 (also 20W-50) VRI Racing Oil that contains higher levels of zinc to reduce engine wear. This is the oil that was recommended to me to run in my new motor.

Yep - that's it.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This is another deal the Federal Govt. has fucked up thanks to their damn clean air act they pushed through Congress.:pissed1:

Used to be pretty much any oil had "high zinc" in it. Actually the chemical is called ZDDP for short or Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate. This is necessary to prevent extreme pressure wear.

The EPA demanded it be removed from oil because it slowly poisons catalytic converters over time....more government horseshit! :horseshit:

It makes me wonder how much better this type of oil with "old time" levels of ZDDP would protect our stock engines compared to the catalytic converter friendly oils out there today? Any thoughts?

I did some searching and found this that may be helpful:

http://zddp.net/

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/ZDDP.htm

Hell I remember when Valvoline advertised this miracle chemical as "Chemalloy," Penzoil called it "Z7" and oil was in cans at that time!

HTH

Mike

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mark... can I have your used oil?

:roflmao:

Congrats on the new motor Mark, and like everyone else I can't wait to see the video of it running. I'd also love to see you go heads up with Vinny.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Mark,
I think two oil changes would be sufficient but absolutely change that filter and cut it apart!!!! every engine we do pushrod or my modmotor has been checked and we've saved two engines by finding stuff in the filter that indicated a problem.
I've got a shitload tied upin my build as well and took no chances but there's a limit at which you have tojust trust that it'sgoing to hold together. for me it was 75 miles of 3000rpm or below using dyno oil then switched to synthetic 5w20 mobil1 and let it eat on the dyno at 7500rpms :):boobies:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello, oil is cheap in comparison to what he spent on the engine, if he wants to change it let him.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
i agree,i changed my oil 4 times before actually driving it to the dyno. i just wanted to make sure i got everything out of the engine from the build,oil is cheap.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
Say hello to the DNSFAIL for me, haha! :-D

Your car looks awesome by the way, Saw it when I was dropping my car off a while ago. Pretty sweet looking! I'd like to watch it running down the track someday!

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
This is another deal the Federal Govt. has fucked up thanks to their damn clean air act they pushed through Congress.:pissed1:

Used to be pretty much any oil had "high zinc" in it. Actually the chemical is called ZDDP for short or Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate. This is necessary to prevent extreme pressure wear.

The EPA demanded it be removed from oil because it slowly poisons catalytic converters over time....more government horseshit! :horseshit:

It makes me wonder how much better this type of oil with "old time" levels of ZDDP would protect our stock engines compared to the catalytic converter friendly oils out there today? Any thoughts?

I did some searching and found this that may be helpful:

http://zddp.net/

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/ZDDP.htm

Hell I remember when Valvoline advertised this miracle chemical as "Chemalloy," Penzoil called it "Z7" and oil was in cans at that time!

HTH

Mike

I'm sure you've seen this:

Valvoline® Specialty Racing Oil ("Not Street Legal")

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Prices @ NAPA (all in stock at the Lakeland Store):
  • 5W-30 (VV853) $7.79 per qt.
  • 10W-30 (VV854) $7.79 per qt.
  • 20W-50 (VV855) $7.79 per qt.
Keep in mind Valvoline offers 3 different products that are all high in zinc

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We have been using the VR1 10-30 Racing oil for almost two years with all our built engines and its some good stuff.

Mark did i hear this right, your doing the tuning?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back