Vacuum test on my car: your opinions please.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Sup fellas, Well all this catalytic converter talk got me a bit paranoid, so I picked up a vacuum gauge, hooked it up to the line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator line with a 3 way fitting (in between).

In the video I slowly rise to about 2500rpm and hold it there best I can (my tune just keeps rising) it does go as far as probably 3200rpm in the video, does this reading look like it's in good shape?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit *new video below* (changed tune so I can hold a steady RPM)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad news, good news, I appreciate it all thanks fellas, I count on your wisdom :beerdrink:
I have read on what to look for, it looks OK to me but I rather have a 2nd opinion to be sure.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
What are you trying to solve or figure out? The condition of the cats? Help us out here!

The vac looks normal.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I am uploading a better video, had to switch my tune to the SCT canned tune to be able to hold a steady RPM, this video is much better, I don't have an issue that I know of just curious and wanted a second opinion as I am not an expert...

I am slowly rising to 2500rpm in this vid with a high of 3000rpm and holding it there steady...

I guess general health? cat health etc...?

thanks!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I know we used to look at vacuum stability and values in older cars, to asses their "health". The old vac gauge I have was used just for that purpose.

You'd be able to determine if you have developed a vacuum leak, if you know what your car normally was at when working properly.
You won't get an assessment of the health of the cats; that's what the rear O2 sensors are for, making sure the cats are working properly. If you have the rear sensors on, that's all you need.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Thanks bro, I guess I got myself paranoid reading up on cats going bad and people being surprised when their engine blows. doesn't hurt to check!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back