Car went boom at track rental

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Northern Virginia Mustang Club's first track rental of the season was today at Mason Dixon Dragway in MD. I ran the car 8 times and had a mix of 1.6 and 1.7 60 fts, and six 12.8s at 108, with one 12.6 and one 12.7 run. I even added two degrees timing to make up for the altitude. Nothing happening other than the one 12.6

My son kept claiming I was shifting like I was in slow motion, so I let him take a spin. He did 3 runs that yielded the same 12.7s at 108, but his 60 fts were 1.8, 1.9 and even a 2.0! The boy wasn't hooking at all but easily matching my time and mph. If you figure 2/10s ET for every tenth gained on the 60ft, we were definately looking at 12.00 territory with a decent hook like my 1.6s.

He wanted to drop tire pressure for his 4th run from 16lbs to 14lbs, but I told him the car bogs bad at lower pressures. But he kept insisting and I gave in.

He lined up, hit the gas, the front driver's tire came OFF THE GROUND and he started flying down the track. I knew it was a 12.0 run. About 300 ft out, smoke starts pouring out the front of the right rear wheel well, and that corner collapses. After pulling it onto the grass, we look underneath and the BMR relocation bracket has literally folded in half.

Lucky for me, my tuner (JJ from Woodbine Motorsports) was there with his trailer and a friend's Lightning, and graciously offered to tow it to his shop with the Lightning driving home under it's own power. That's customer service and a true friend--he saved me considerable hassle today.

Poor Zach, my son, was stunned I wasn't mad at him. I guess you have to experience being a dad before you really get it. I was just glad he wasn't hurt and the incident was as smooth as it was. He could have sheared an axle, flipped over the wall...hell, the car will be fixed in a week or so.

I'll have pics & videos, timeslips, the whole shebang over the next couple days. JJ will need to start disassembling the rear to see exactly what went wrong.

Hardware failure notwithstanding, somethings's up with the car for sure though, still haven't figured out why neither one of us can have the right combo of hook, shift speed and a good tailwind to cross paths at the same moment...

John

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man when I read the title I thought the motor let go...

Good luck in getting it fixed!

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Damn John, that sounds like that was the ONE...

Frustrating to get so close and have problems.

That is the second relocation bracket failure I know of. Was it welded or bolted?

Sorry to hear about the trouble but luckily it should be an easy fix.

Gotta love great customer service.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn John, that sounds like that was the ONE...

Frustrating to get so close and have problems.

That is the second relocation bracket failure I know of. Was it welded or bolted?

Sorry to hear about the trouble but luckily it should be an easy fix.

Gotta love great customer service.

Bolted (totally my bad--new ones get welded). Note this is all we could see without getting the car on a lift. Will know more later this week. should have plenty of vids and pics when it starts streaming in from attendees later...

John

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is a great quest you two have and I see he has learned a lesson for parenting one day.

All good things here.:leghump:

I too, was fooled by that thread title! What a car you have there!

I need to weld my Relocation Brackets too. Do I need to remove the PCM or at least disconnect the battery cable? I am wondering if using a wire welder on a car with such a fussy computer system is something to worry about. I will keep a short ground and put the clamp right on the bracket. I would hate to see a circuit complete through a bearing race.... haha.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is a great quest you two have and I see he has learned a lesson for parenting one day.

All good things here.:leghump:

I too, was fooled by that thread title! What a car you have there!

I need to weld my Relocation Brackets too. Do I need to remove the PCM or at least disconnect the battery cable? I am wondering if using a wire welder on a car with such a fussy computer system is something to worry about. I will keep a short ground and put the clamp right on the bracket. I would hate to see a circuit complete through a bearing race.... haha.

Good question, hadn't thought of that. Either way, welding is getting done the day the new one's go in. I'm already pricing up everything else - truetrac, new tires (the right rear got a bit shredded up), front coilovers, etc.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad everyones fine...would love to see the pictures, though.

Apparently the club photogs have one or more cameras that shoot EVERY run down the track (over 600 runs in 4 hours) from the rear, and plenty of bystanders post their own stuff. I hope the photos and vids start getting posted tonight, and I'm especially interested in the last run for obvious reasons.

John

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Bolted (totally my bad--new ones get welded). Note this is all we could see without getting the car on a lift. Will know more later this week. should have plenty of vids and pics when it starts streaming in from attendees later...

John

One of the guys at our local track trashed a relocation bracket on his GT500 (Not welded). Had it back on the track the next week no problems.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Glad your a good Dad. Hug your son he can't be replaced. Race cars are ment to be broken, think of us all as R&D Drivers for manufactures:)

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did you get a slip for the last pass? Even though it broke, did he pass the lights?

No, he didn't think to go get his slip and only made it a bit down the track. I think he was worried I was going to make a scene with him. I'd love to know what the 60ft was though...

John

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Northern Virginia Mustang Club's first track rental of the season was today at Mason Dixon Dragway in MD. I ran the car 8 times and had a mix of 1.6 and 1.7 60 fts, and six 12.8s at 108, with one 12.6 and one 12.7 run. I even added two degrees timing to make up for the altitude. Nothing happening other than the one 12.6

My son kept claiming I was shifting like I was in slow motion, so I let him take a spin. He did 3 runs that yielded the same 12.7s at 108, but his 60 fts were 1.8, 1.9 and even a 2.0! The boy wasn't hooking at all but easily matching my time and mph. If you figure 2/10s ET for every tenth gained on the 60ft, we were definately looking at 12.00 territory with a decent hook like my 1.6s.

He wanted to drop tire pressure for his 4th run from 16lbs to 14lbs, but I told him the car bogs bad at lower pressures. But he kept insisting and I gave in.

He lined up, hit the gas, the front driver's tire came OFF THE GROUND and he started flying down the track. I knew it was a 12.0 run. About 300 ft out, smoke starts pouring out the front of the right rear wheel well, and that corner collapses. After pulling it onto the grass, we look underneath and the BMR relocation bracket has literally folded in half.

Lucky for me, my tuner (JJ from Woodbine Motorsports) was there with his trailer and a friend's Lightning, and graciously offered to tow it to his shop with the Lightning driving home under it's own power. That's customer service and a true friend--he saved me considerable hassle today.

Poor Zach, my son, was stunned I wasn't mad at him. I guess you have to experience being a dad before you really get it. I was just glad he wasn't hurt and the incident was as smooth as it was. He could have sheared an axle, flipped over the wall...hell, the car will be fixed in a week or so.

I'll have pics & videos, timeslips, the whole shebang over the next couple days. JJ will need to start disassembling the rear to see exactly what went wrong.

Hardware failure notwithstanding, somethings's up with the car for sure though, still haven't figured out why neither one of us can have the right combo of hook, shift speed and a good tailwind to cross paths at the same moment...

John
I was the Car in the left lane, I thought you lost the rear end. I am glad it it not that bad and no one was hurt.

I got the Slip....
1.863 60'

The DA was 2000 ft, the track is at 550' I could not break 12.81.. I was 4 tenths off.

Spaz has the Videos so maybe he can find that run and post it....

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also, can someone post pics of the brackets welded? Thinking I'm going to have mine welded and would like to show the shop how they were done. TIA...

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also, can someone post pics of the brackets welded? Thinking I'm going to have mine welded and would like to show the shop how they were done. TIA...

If no one posts anything soon I'll post my replacements welded in once the car is back in my hands...

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was the Car in the left lane, I thought you lost the rear end. I am glad it it not that bad and no one was hurt.

I got the Slip....
1.863 60'

The DA was 2000 ft, the track is at 550' I could not break 12.81.. I was 4 tenths off.

Spaz has the Videos so maybe he can find that run and post it....

Thanks, poor Zach, here I was asking him to drive the car a few times so I could watch the rear end plant, and the damn thing fails while he's behind the wheel. I took him out for a $30 steak and a beer last night to show no hard feelings.

He got a 1.8 and that's it? The damn bracket must have been going all day and that last run was all it had left in it.

You know, I heard "I'm a half second off" all morning long. It's easy to extrapolate on that, but my guess my 12.00 isn't happening until the fall and all that cool air. Gotta keep trying though!

John

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
glad all is ok John! sorry for the break.
I forgot about the track rental..Id like to have been there. I went up to Cecil Co for the JDM spring fling.....long freakin drive for nothin really...6 cars in their class :( had a ton of stock appearing N/A cars though...pretty impressive Mopars running high 11's! decent place to race...my 1st time there. I watched...drove the wife's pony car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back