05+ Gas Tank Fill Problem Fix

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i've had problems filling mine (07), but it nearly always seems to depend on the pump i use. it seems that if the pump is sporadic or a lot of air is coming out with the gas, it'll never fill. there's a station i go to that i occasionally have trouble like this, but then i can go across the street when i'm having this trouble to a different pump and have no trouble at all, even on the highest pump speed.

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When was your car built? IIRC, this was an issue with S197s built in "04 and the first half of '05.

Oh, I thought it was a problem for all S197s! I bought my car in August of 2006 and it was on the lot for about 20 hours. So it was probably built around June or July of 06? But it is an 07 Model.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh, I thought it was a problem for all S197s! I bought my car in August of 2006 and it was on the lot for about 20 hours. So it was probably built around June or July of 06? But it is an 07 Model.

mine's an 07, and i occasionally have the problem

silverstangz

forum member
Reaction score
Did you blow out your hoses when you had them apart?
And also back into the tank through the vent hose (Reverse flow back)? I did this very last thing, then very carefully put it back together. well I'm at half tank now. and the trip gauge shows accordingly. think maybe I'll put gas in and see what happens, REALLY dont want to be sitting on the side of the road

silverstangz

forum member
Reaction score
Sooo can I just say that YOU THE MAN!!!! I've filled the tank twice now, once from half tank, and then at a qtr tank.... and with the noozle at full speed !!!!!

ixtlan

Reaction score
Well you are like the 10th person this has fixed.
05's thru 07's so far.
Have you fixed the level indication problem you had?

silverstangz

forum member
Reaction score
:clap:Well the weird thing about that is when I filled it at qtr tank, it took about 12-1/2 gallons which seems to me "should" be just about right as far level indication. and I was also thinking back,the day I did the "fix", I had just put in about 9 gallons , got home, found your fix, and did it so I wonder if that had something to do with the level indication ? regardless it 's working great !!!

Last edited:

james432

forum member
Reaction score
damn this just happend to me tonite its kinda messed up i put fore fuel rails on went to fill it up and it would do 10 cents at a time i pulled the nozzel out alittle and i filled it up put really slow>>>>>>so i have a 06 gt i do this the same way right???

thaks,james

rlfitz

Reaction score
just found this thread. my 05 will fill fine at some stations and only take 40 cents of gas then shut right off at others. will this fix it for me?

james432

forum member
Reaction score
im going to wait intill my full tank is gone than try it again.. it just messed up that i put fuel rails on and i have never had this happen...just my luck..

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ive had some issues with mine some times ill be pumping gas and i know its getting to the point where its almost full but not quite and ill just hear this splash noise and right under the car where gas just comes out like it over flowed or something.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
This def. isnt just a brand new car problem...mine is 07 built in october of 06 and it does it quite often...I have found pulling the nozzle out alittle fixes mine but is still a pain forget that i have to do that sometimes and gas going every where or putting the pump in and walking in and coming back to 1.27 pumped in 5 minutes...

G.T

Reaction score
Ford attempted to fix the problem a few times already.. and while many Mustangs in Dubai had their fuel tanks replaced under warranty, most of them continued to have the same symptoms when filling up..

it seems most gas stations here pump gas at quite a high pressure which made the situation even worse.

However starting with the 2009 MY, the issue completely disappeared!

i was recently working on an 09 shelby and noticed the fuel filler pipe is slightly different than that on older mustangs.

the filler pipe comprised of two tubes, the main filler line, and a small vent line that runs along side, and goes all the way up to the cap area.

seems like a simple solution to relieve the built up pressure while filling up the tank, especially when the EVAP system is being restrictive.

check the following diagrams from Microcat (Ford parts selling system) showing both the 2005+ fuel tank and filler pipe design, as well the 2009+ fuel tank and filler pipe:
you'll see the extra line that i mentioned above, running along side the filler pipe then curving above it and coming out in the cap area.

05+:
QhI3g.jpg

09+:
PgSe2.jpg

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
I only have this problem at Shell gas stations, to cure it all I do is fill up the tank with the handle put in upside down (hose facing up) and it fills fine.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
back in 05 I returned mine and they "installed a new tank".. well the same shit still happens.. the funny thing about it is its on some of the ford trucks.. I think it was a f150 at&T truck.. it did the same thing and it was a 2008 I believe

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back