100-ish TW tire question

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
First off- NO I DO NOT WANT SCRUB R-COMPS

Now that we've got that out of the way....

I'm looking for a new track tire to go on 18x11 wheels...two that jump out at me are the 305/35/18 NT-01 and R888...anybody used both? Have any times? Opinions? They cost about the same so that's not too much of a factor. Anybody have any experience with their lives on the street?

Anything else anybody can think of? I know about the P Zero Corsa and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and all that, but they are expensive and short.

I don't know when I'll be able to find more 295/35/18 Rivals...so yeah. Otherwise I'd probably just more of those, if I could just find two more. My current Rivals are within 1/16" of the wearbars. When they eventually go I'll pull them off and take pictures. They lived a hard life.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Don't want to go back to the RS3s?

Tirerack has removed that size in Rivals from their list. That bothers me.

"goes to call tire rack"

At least 8-10 weeks I heard this story with the 335.......phuck

Mark, it sounds like you have a pair of 295 Rivals, 315s in back and good to go?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Don't want to go back to the RS3s?

Tirerack has removed that size in Rivals from their list. That bothers me.

"goes to call tire rack"

At least 8-10 weeks I heard this story with the 335.......phuck

Mark, it sounds like you have a pair of 295 Rivals, 315s in back and good to go?

If only they were 315/35's....

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
NT01 is a great tire, very consistent over its life.

R888s I do not care for on a heavy car like the Mustang, gets very greasy over a single session.

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Ive had a hard time finding the section width of the nt01 305/35zr18, would you say nt01 305/35 is close to the rival 295/35 in terms of width.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Ive had a hard time finding the section width of the nt01 305/35zr18, would you say nt01 305/35 is close to the rival 295/35 in terms of width.

If it follows normal Nitto sizing conventions, probably. All of the BFG tires I've ever had were wider than what they said, and it's well known that Nittos run narrow....probably so the hardparkers can "have 315's" without having the correct wheels...but what do I know.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

The Nitto NT01 305/35ZR18 has a 12.6" section width according to DiscountTire. See the link below for another 12.6" width tire.

First off- NO I DO NOT WANT SCRUB R-COMPS

Now that we've got that out of the way....

I'm looking for a new track tire to go on 18x11 wheels...two that jump out at me are the 305/35/18 NT-01 and R888...anybody used both? Have any times? Opinions? They cost about the same so that's not too much of a factor. Anybody have any experience with their lives on the street?

Anything else anybody can think of? I know about the P Zero Corsa and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and all that, but they are expensive and short.

I don't know when I'll be able to find more 295/35/18 Rivals...so yeah. Otherwise I'd probably just more of those, if I could just find two more. My current Rivals are within 1/16" of the wearbars. When they eventually go I'll pull them off and take pictures. They lived a hard life.

The 315/30ZR-18 Rivals will fit your 11" wheel.

Last edited:

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am also in the same boat, Looking for something for track only so the NT01's look like a good choice. Any one have any idea how long these will last with no street driving? Thanks!

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
If you were willing to drop to a 30 series, several options are available is a 295. Approximately 25" OD so your RPM will rise which could be a problem. If athletics /appearance are a priority, they will look smallish. If your concerned about lap time, I think you will be pleased. Tread with of 11" to 11.5"

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I really like my gearing right now...fits great for the tracks around here. 26-26.5" tall is what I want

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Mark, I have 305/35 NT01s and like them for the way they wear and OD/sizing. I don't have much to compare to in terms of traction (except Conti GT-Os, which didn't feel leaps and bounds better), but I could chug along at a decent click.

FYI, they're on backorder for certain vendors. I know some shipments arrived late July, but don't know when they're going to be in stock next. Discount tire direct has the best out-the-door price on them, I think.

In general, the tires seem happier on wider wheels. My 10.5" Enkeis are too narrow (I know this is subjective)--I've seen them on 12" wheels and they look right at home.

Let us examine:

10.5" wheels

Misc%2BCar%2BTech%2B-%2B4

Misc%2BCar%2BTech%2B-%2B3

12" wheels

Misc%2BCar%2BTech%2B-%2B1

Misc%2BCar%2BTech%2B-%2B2

They should sit nicely on your 11" wheels. If you're street driving, the NT01s wear/drive much quieter. R888s will have tread grooves until they almost cord and they can get seriously noisy--think mud-boggers. NT01s wear into slicks for the second half of their life. Don't use them for wet weather.

I'm 5 days into my set and they're pretty much in the "slick" phase. They're past their prime as far as traction goes, but that's due to negligence (they sat outside during freezing temps for weeks). Some say they get better with age, YMMV.

Last edited:

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
Neema, good post. I hear that NT01s are a great choice > R888. A few of my TT buddies run them to get to and from events, qualifying laps, etc. They're fairly good in wet too, just be careful with standing water (which I'm sure you know).

You'll wear through them faster than Rivals, but get more grip as an upside.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
That's interesting that the favor of the NT-01 over the R888 is so strong. So you guys are mostly at a disagreement with : "Nitto NT01 and Toyo R888 are similar tires, and Nitto is wholly owned by Toyo.

see: http://www.japancorp...sp?Art_ID=14781

Here is a comment from a guy, Andrie Hartanto, who has raced in World Challenge, which mandates the R888:

"The difference in the R888 and NT01 is sidewall construction. R888 is much stiffer while NT01 is more like RA1.
I tested both tires back to back in the Evo. Me personally like the feel of R888 better. But lap times and setup is nearly identical. "

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I am aware that Toyo owns Nitto, but from my Mustang experience, the NT01 is the superior tire.

And actually, I raced with that guy a couple weekends ago at Laguna Seca. He was about 2 seconds faster than us in a very aero-intensive ST3 S2000. Courteous driver.
Apparently he won the USTCC shootout at Laguna a couple weeks before there, so I think my buddies and I did OK for our first time there ever, lol.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back