2014 GT Clutch replacement (Boosted Car)

crjackson

Reaction score
Jumped in the car last week, and car wouldn’t go into gear with engine running. Clutch pedal stayed on the floorboard after depressed. I pumped the clutch a few times, and all was working again.

EXCEPT! Pedal only returns to half-height at times, and has to be pulled back up.

Dropped the car off at Ford, they kept it a few days and called to tell me it had a bad clutch master cylinder, and they fixed it. $859 come and get it …

Car left the dealer, clutch felt strange, but no engagement/disengagement issues. After a few days of driving, clutch pedal hanging at half return height again.

Icing on the cake? Now I also have a “Service Advancetrac soon light” coming on randomly. Even when car is just idling in the driveway.

I’m guessing I wasted $800+ on that repair, and still need a new clutch kit.

I’m leaning towards a Exedy organic w/grooved pressure plate.

For those of you running this kit, do I need to ditch the slave/TOB and buy a new OEM TOB? Same question about the Pilot bearing. Exedy or FRPp?

Do I really need to replace the Flywheel? I can’t seem to find anyone local who will resurface my old one.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I would take it back to Ford.

On the TB and pilot bearing, not bushing & slave, yes always replace with stock or better.

On the flywheel, resurface (machine shop) or purchase new one (SFI rated).

On clutch & pressure plate, several will have different options… I personally use a center force but I have a little 5.0L fox not Coyote so the set up is different.

crjackson

Reaction score
I would take it back to Ford.
Yes, it's going back Tuesday, as they clearly have some things to address there as well. I already have an appointment. However, I believe ultimately I'll need a new clutch kit, so I'm clearing the path so to speak. I want to get the parts, and have them on-hand, ahead of time. I'm just trying to make sure I get the right parts. Also, I'm hoping that Exedy is one of those kits that doesn't need a shim between the transmission case and the TOB. If it does, I'll have to find someone who knows how to set that up. I doubt Ford would be familiar with that.
On the TB and pilot bearing, not bushing & slave, yes always replace with stock or better.
The clutch kit comes with a TOB, and with a Pilot bearing from Exedy. What I'm trying to determine is, should I use the parts from the Exedy kit, or buy a new OEM TOB, and a new FRPP pilot bearing.

What do you recommend?

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
I will default to others that have used the Exedy kit but I personally would have no issue using it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back