2nd opinion on my cams.

jbenevides89

forum member
Reaction score
Lastnight I noticed a clattering/ticking sort of sound when i got beside the gate shack on base and my stomach sank. kind of like when you are out of oil but not quite as loud. i could faintly hear it the whole way home. I pulled the cam covers off and took a few pics of the cams. What do you guys think? it looks like there is a lot more wear on them then their should be but they feel smooth to the touch? Oil was just changed this weekend, car has 60K miles on it. Here are some pics:
DSCN1614.jpg

DSCN1615.jpg

DSCN1618.jpg

DSCN1619.jpg

DSCN1612.jpg

DSCN1622.jpg

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Looks like the edges of the followers are riding on the cam lobes.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing too abnormal looking for cams with that many miles. What year car? Stock cams?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the mileage, it sounds like your daily driver. If I heard a noise that made my heart drop into my stomach, I would find a way to get the heads off for an inspection. If it head does fail a part while running, it is gonna cost a lot more.

Am I out of line with comment guys?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
With the mileage, it sounds like your daily driver. If I heard a noise that made my heart drop into my stomach, I would find a way to get the heads off for an inspection. If it head does fail a part while running, it is gonna cost a lot more.

Am I out of line with comment guys?

A little. My first step would be to remove the cams and look at all the rockers and lifters closely.

jbenevides89

forum member
Reaction score
I would love to upgrade to some hotrods and probably will if i have to pull it all apart. I put it back together and ran it a little and couldnt get the noise to come back. How loose are the followers supposed to be? i can push down and wiggle them around a good bit but i know the lash adjusters work with oil pressure. when i let go they all seem to push back up

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I would love to upgrade to some hotrods and probably will if i have to pull it all apart. I put it back together and ran it a little and couldnt get the noise to come back. How loose are the followers supposed to be? i can push down and wiggle them around a good bit but i know the lash adjusters work with oil pressure. when i let go they all seem to push back up

Totally normal.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back