3rd round...breakout

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I had a good run this weekend. Might as well lay it all out, so this will be a bit winded...

Friday night time trials went great. Car was running 12.02-12.06 for the most part. 5/10ths tree was my friend. cut a .008 light

Saturday sucked donkey balls.... I pushed thru the beams on my first qualifier...no time. Second and third I had decent lights but the car ran a 12.24 and a 12.10...

Sunday morning I was still up in the air as to where to set my dial-in. Settled on 12.10 as it was my fastest time from Saturday.

First round Eliminations - Ran against Wes from TPS. Unfortunately he fell asleep at the tree. I took the round with a .168 R/T and a 12.19 on the 12.10 dial-in. That gave me a bye in the 2nd round.

Second round - No idea what my R/T was because the ticket showed I redlighted with a -.004, even though I didn't redlight. Car ran a 12.23...which I was worried about

Third round - I took the spare and jack out, cooled the car alllll the way down due to it running that 12.23. Lloyd out of DynoJoe's was lined up against me on a 13.20 dial-in. He gets to leave first, I take a nap and pull a .204 R/T. Caught him by the half way point and left him. Had him by 4 cars coming up to the finish line...so I backed out of it.....but not soon enough.

Ran a 12.097 for the breakout. .003...................

Had a great time though. Got to meet Chad, Tim, Julio, and Wes on top of hanging with SD and Brian all weekend. My family was there, and Theresa and the boys all had a great time too.

Y'all better watch out next year.....

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... Kent Nine out of Breenspeed's shop took out Jim Sr in the 3rd round and went on to win SuperStang. Pleasure meeting Kent as well.

Last edited:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... Kent Nine out of Breenspeed's shop took out Jim Sr in the 3rd round and went on to win SuperStang. Pleasure meeting Kent as well.

Great job Kyle... way to make a mark.

Yup, Kent knocked me out, I lighted him by .06, we both broke out... and he was a closer to dial in... if it were by rx, ... I couldnt be that lucky.

Fun deal, none the less.

12.07 w/ 1500 DA run while TT for brackets...

Good times :beer:

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have pulled up to a parking spot, dumped all my junk ran down to the staging lanes, painted a dial on my back window and went 4 rounds, other times I have gotten there plenty early, made a couple of runs, and repeat dead on. THen the weather changes abit and break out on the the first run by something stupid like .1. Bracket racing is a tough sport. For the most part I run the numbers, but I have been screwed by mother nature on more than one occaison. WIll I do it again, YOU BETCHA!!!.

I'm not sure which sickness is worse, modding the car or the racing......lol. I live it all and the best times I have had in the last 3 years have been at the track win, lose or draw. Kyle anytime you make it more than a couple of rounds, YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB. I am jealous of the fun I know you had this weekend

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Sounds like fun! Bracket racing can be a bitch or be loads of fun.
It sure sucks to breakout or red-light by a few thousandths of a second.

I look forward to getting out there again soon :)

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was definitely a good time. I was disappointed, but encouraged at the same time. First event and could have went all the way if not for that small miscalculation.

The posi quit working sometime Saturday, so gonna need to get that fixed. Gonna thorw in some 3.73's while I'm at it.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Well, I had a good run this weekend. Might as well lay it all out, so this will be a bit winded...

Friday night time trials went great. Car was running 12.02-12.06 for the most part. 5/10ths tree was my friend. cut a .008 light

Saturday sucked donkey balls.... I pushed thru the beams on my first qualifier...no time. Second and third I had decent lights but the car ran a 12.24 and a 12.10...

Sunday morning I was still up in the air as to where to set my dial-in. Settled on 12.10 as it was my fastest time from Saturday.

First round Eliminations - Ran against Wes from TPS. Unfortunately he fell asleep at the tree. I took the round with a .168 R/T and a 12.19 on the 12.10 dial-in. That gave me a bye in the 2nd round.

Second round - No idea what my R/T was because the ticket showed I redlighted with a -.004, even though I didn't redlight. Car ran a 12.23...which I was worried about

Third round - I took the spare and jack out, cooled the car alllll the way down due to it running that 12.23. Lloyd out of DynoJoe's was lined up against me on a 13.20 dial-in. He gets to leave first, I take a nap and pull a .204 R/T. Caught him by the half way point and left him. Had him by 4 cars coming up to the finish line...so I backed out of it.....but not soon enough.

Ran a 12.097 for the breakout. .003...................

Had a great time though. Got to meet Chad, Tim, Julio, and Wes on top of hanging with SD and Brian all weekend. My family was there, and Theresa and the boys all had a great time too.

Y'all better watch out next year.....

Yeah man, I was really hoping you'd get that perfect dial in on that run. I gotta say though, I was talking with Kent for a while too and on top of being a cool guy, holy hell, he's consistent!! 3 runs in a row IIRC all with an 11.50. Crazy weekend and I'll be watching out next year like you said, and there may be an alloy nitrous car running in the event as well.... :whistling: Or I should just keep the v6 stuff in a run dead consistent 15.00s. haha.

sixshooter798

Reaction score
If you hadn't decided to make changes before that round, you may have been in better shape. Bracket racing isn't about who is the fastest, so I would have left the spare where it was and done everything exactly how I'd been doing it (except for the .200 r/t's). Going from a .19 to a .23 isn't a huge drop off. I would have dialed a .20 and been a bit more aggressive on the tree.
If you decide to continue bracket racing, it would be a great idea to have a tune written where the heat soak won't have such an effect. I had this done and my ET consistency is fantastic now.

Wes

forum member
Reaction score
Dude you smoked me on the tree. Rule #1, never change things in competition and I decided to try DEEP staging for the first time. Totally got into my head.

I am coming for ya next time though enjoy your temporary victory it while it lasts ha!

Great meeting everyone. TPS will be a bigger part of upcoming events in the future!

Wes

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Dude you smoked me on the tree. Rule #1, never change things in competition and I decided to try DEEP staging for the first time. Totally got into my head.

Being there was a chance that you and I could have been racing each other I wasn't going to tell you that it was a bad idea.....before the round. Afterwards....sure, no problem.

:LMAO:

If you hadn't decided to make changes before that round, you may have been in better shape.
This one falls on me. My idea based on several factors.

Bracket racing isn't about who is the fastest, so I would have left the spare where it was and done everything exactly how I'd been doing it (except for the .200 r/t's). Going from a .19 to a .23 isn't a huge drop off. I would have dialed a .20 and been a bit more aggressive on the tree.
No, it isn't. But a .23 with a .10 dial is a big factor especially when you consider the DA was getting worse. Factor in who Kyle was racing and that car had been pretty close all weekend. Lloyd had "ok" lights in the previous rounds and was hitting his shifts pretty well. I knew that if Kyle ran another .2-anything ET then he wouldn't be able to run Lloyd down. As it was, Lloyd had a decent R/T but barked the tires then missed on the 2-3 gear change. Kyle ran him down early but didn't lift soon enough. Had he gotten out of that round we could have made the necessary adjustments to get him back near the safe side of his 12.10 index.

Last edited:

sixshooter798

Reaction score
I try not to get caught up on who I am racing. I won't try to cut some .00X light if I know Im racing a veteran, because drag racing is a "right-place-right-time" sport. Personally, I don't change things in competition, and I don't adjust my driving style depending on who I am racing.

Last edited:

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I try not to get caught up on who I am racing. I won't try to cut some .00X light if I know Im racing a veteran, because drag racing is a "right-place-right-time" sport. Personally, I don't change things in competition, and I don't adjust my driving style depending on who I am racing.

Who said I changed the car in order to "adjust my driving style"? The weather changed, and I wasnt sure the car would run a 12.10. Better the car be faster, and I let out of it to save that 12.10 than the car just not be able to cut it cause the DA went to shit. (it's not the car's fault that I didnt let out of it soon enough)

I was going to be facing Jim DiAmore or Ken Nine after that round. You don't run a 12.26 on a 12.10 dial-in and beat either one of those guys.
As far as cutting a light, I want to cut a .000 every time, I don't adjust that for anything.

SD, pulling the spare and cooling the car was the right thing to do. I still agree with the advice. I knew I had a near dial-in run going, I just hesitated before I lifted.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

If you say so. I tend to disagree. Plenty of people have held the same philosophy as you and I have beaten just about all of them.Different approaches for different people.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At least Chad and I got our names on the HRP website... LOL

http://www.houstonraceway.com/index.php?id=491

"In JDM Super Stang, Kent Nine put Chad Hidalgo, Joe Cram, James D'Amore on the trailer before getting a bye to face Lloyd Mikeska in the final. Mikeska advanced after beating Cliff Elliott, Paul Gamino, Kyle Maurer and Bryan Hearn. In the final, Mikeska suffered the same fate as Abdalla and Warwas as he redlit his shot of winning away with a .043 foul, allowing Nine to cruise to the easy win."

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
So much for trying to tone down the rhetoric.

You're more than welcome to come on over and give it a shot next season, Dickhead.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back