Afco Heat Exchanger

ThePope

forum member
Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a Afco heat exchanger with my Vortech V3 kit that's currently on my 2010 Mustang. Has anyone installed this on their car with my setup? Just wondering how the install was and I any additional parts are needed.

Thanks??

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm running one on my Rotrex system (similar to an aftercooled Vortech system). Install was straightforward and very easy. Function is flawless. I can't think of any additional parts you'll need.

XxBoostinxX

forum member
Reaction score
I added the dual fan unit about a month ago on my Saleen and it was by far one of the easiest installs. The instructions are really straight forward and easy to follow once you get the bumper off. The only problem I had was getting to tubing from the water pump to the AFCO right. I bought it used and the previous owners setup was different than my Saleen's (water pumps on opposite sides). I had to make a couple of trips to the local advanced auto to find the right angled plumbing; FYI, they hide it in the back and will let you see it if you ask. Hope I helped! :thumb2:

ThePope

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input XxBoostinxX. I'm gonna be ordering one in a few weeks. Can't wait to get those IATs' down!!

ExpatMedic

forum member
Reaction score
It may be one of my next mods. I'm looking to lower IAT's while in the staging lanes and pit, so I'll definitely be getting the ones with fans.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
It may be one of my next mods. I'm looking to lower IAT's while in the staging lanes and pit, so I'll definitely be getting the ones with fans.

I ran my fans and pump through a switch. When I'm in the staging lanes I flip it on and it cycles my whole system and cools it off in about 3 minutes. It's pretty awesome. No more 150 degree intake temps before I even do my burnout.

ExpatMedic

forum member
Reaction score
I ran my fans and pump through a switch. When I'm in the staging lanes I flip it on and it cycles my whole system and cools it off in about 3 minutes. It's pretty awesome. No more 150 degree intake temps before I even do my burnout.

Exactly what I want to do. When you were in the 140's-150's, how far could you bring your IAT's down to?

Also, may I ask how you did the switch wiring?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Exactly what I want to do. When you were in the 140's-150's, how far could you bring your IAT's down to?

Also, may I ask how you did the switch wiring?

They would come all the way down to near ambient (within 10-15 degrees anyway) within just a couple minutes. My intercooler is remotely mounted much like the aftercooler on a Vortech system. By running the pump and fans, within minutes of a pass, even with the hot engine bay, my intercooler would be completely cold to the touch.

I ran key on power, and constant power to a switch inside the car, then from the switch I ran a wire to each relay (2 for the fans, and one for the pump). That way when the switch is in the key on position, they turn on with the ignition like normal, and in the other position they'll turn on when I want them to, even if the car is off.

Last edited:

XxBoostinxX

forum member
Reaction score

Add some redline water wetter and it could possibly get lower! :thumb2:

ThePope

forum member
Reaction score
Placed my order with American muscle today for the heat exchanger. I'm currently running 50/50 coolant in my system right now. Should I stick with that or does anyone recommend something else. I daily drive my car so keep that in mind.

ThePope

forum member
Reaction score
Just a little update for everyone. The heat exchanger came Monday afternoon. Install was a piece of cake!!!!! All the supplied parts was all I needed. The hardest part of the entire thing was removing and installing the front bumper to cut my Boss front end so it would clear the heat exchanger. Installed fresh 50/50 coolant to the system. So far so good. The real test will be when I go to my track rental on November 12th.

550616_4304645568537_501894729_n.jpg

416795_4304645808543_701222513_n.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back