Airbag light on dash....???

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
So just the other day the airbag light on the dash started blinking...didn't think much of it was hoping it would be off next time I got in the car and all would be good but...of course its stil on... When I first start the car its off then it will flash...go off for a couple seconds...then flash again...then blink...go off flash again then it will stay on....WTF...!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I believe it blinks in a pattern to give you a code. It will blink a certain number of times, then stop, then blink again another number of times and that will be the code stored.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
You know where to find that out??? lol That would be awesome! hoping its just a bullshit sensor...The car was in a lil fender bender a couple years ago but idk...

Last edited:

devildog1679

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know about the online viewable workshop manual? If you shoot me a PM I can point you in the right direction

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
I had an airbag warning light on my 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it ended up being related to a seat belt tensioner or the driver seat supplemental restraint harness.

But if the online repair manual for the Mustang helps out, that would be better.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
12=Low Battery Voltage
13=Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14=Primary Crash Sensor Circuit Shorted to Ground
21=Safing Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22=Safing Sensor Output Shorted to Battery Voltage
23=Safing Sensor Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
24=Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit Open
32=Driver Side AirBag Circuit High Resistance or Open
33=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
34=Driver SideAirBag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
35=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
41=RH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open
42=LH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open
44=RH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45=LH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51=Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal FuseFuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52=Backup Power SupplyVoltage Boost Fault
53=Primary Crash Sensor Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Fault

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Normal Operation The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the voltage at Pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the air bag diagnostic monitor connector. The voltage at these pins is set by the air bag diagnostic monitor and varies with charging system voltage (the expected voltages are shown in the following table). If the air bag diagnostic monitor detects low voltage on any of these pins, the air bag diagnostic monitor will store in memory and flash out on the air bag indicator a DTC 13 to indicate a possible short to ground on these circuits. At the same time the air bag diagnostic monitor begins flashing out DTC 13, it attempts to disarm the air bag system to prevent inadvertent deployment of the air bag(s) by blowing the 10A battery fuse feeding air bag diagnostic monitor Pins 13 and 14. It attempts to blow the fuse by activating a solid state switch which shorts the battery feed at Pin 13 to sheet metal ground at the air bag diagnostic monitor's bracket. The air bag diagnostic monitor will make up to three attempts to blow this fuse, spaced one minute apart.

o If the air bag diagnostic monitor has blown the fuse and thus removed battery voltage at Pin 14, a DTC 12 will be stored (refer to DTC «12» and «52» for further details).

o If the air bag diagnostic monitor attempts to blow the 10A battery fuse three times and fails each time, a DTC 24 will be stored (refer to DTC «24» and «64» for further details).

o After the 10A fuse is blown or three attempts to blow it fail, the air bag diagnostic monitor will not attempt to disarm again until the DTC 13 condition has been serviced and cleared (refer to «Diagnostic Trouble Code Clearing» for further details).

o Should the short on Pins 2, 3, 4 or 5 be intermittent or repaired, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash out a DTC 53 (or a higher priority DTC such as DTC 12 if one exists) on the next ignition switch cycle.

Possible Causes WARNING: SERVICING A DTC 13 WILL USUALLY OCCUR AFTER SERVICING OF A DTC 12 HAS BEEN COMPLETED. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE FOR THE 10A BATTERY FUSE. ANY FUSE OTHER THAN 10A MAY CAUSE DISARMING FAILURE AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE 10A BATTERY FUSE UNLESS THE AIR BAG SYSTEM FIRST HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED (SEE «DEACTIVATION» PROCEDURE FOR DETAILS). Low voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor Pins 2, 3, 4, or 5 can be caused by:

o A short to ground on Circuits 607 (LB/O), 614 (GY/O), 615 (GY/W), or 616 (PK/BK) causing the diagnostic voltage to drop.

o Resistance to ground on Circuits 617 (PK/O), 619 (PK/W), 624 (Y/W), 625 (Y/LG) or internal resistance to ground in either of the radiator primary crash sensors may activate an air bag diagnostic monitor circuit which may cause the voltage to drop.

o An internal short to ground within the air bag sliding contact (14A664) causing the driver side air bag circuit(s) to be shorted to ground.

o An internal short to ground within the driver side air bag module (043B13) or passenger side air bag module (044A74).

Electrical Schematic -- Diagnostic Trouble Code 13 ===============================

DTC 13: AIR BAG CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

13-1 UNDERSTAND FUNCTION

• Cycle the ignition switch to OFF and then to RUN and confirm that DTC 13 is flashing on the air bag indicator.
  • Read the normal operation description for DTC 13.
  • Examine the diagnostic trouble code schematic.
  • Is the diagnostic trouble code operation well understood?
Yes GO to «13-2».

NOTE: This is a hard fault. The fault condition may not be cleared until it is serviced and flashes out as a DTC 53. Under normal circumstances a DTC 12 will have just been serviced.

No RE-EXAMINE appropriate descriptions and schematics. Failure to understand air bag system functions will result in needless replacement of system components and repeat service.

===============================

13-2 CHECK FOR SHORTED AIR BAG(S)

o Deactivate system. Carefully disconnect air bags during deactivation.

o Turn ignition switch from OFF to RUN.

o Is DTC 13 still flashing?

Yes GO to «13-3».

No GO to «13-7».

13-3 CHECK DRIVER CIRCUIT FOR SHORTS

o Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor.

o Examine wiring and connector where air bag sliding contact mates to main vehicle harness underneath steering column.

o Check for pinched and/or chafed wires.

o Measure resistance between air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin 2 (Circuit 614, GY/O) and Pin 18 (Circuit 57, BK).

o Is Pin 2 shorted to ground?

Yes LOCATE and SERVICE short to ground in Circuit 614 (GY/O), Circuit 615 (GY/W), or air bag sliding contact wiring. RECONNECT system. CYCLE ignition switch. PROCEED to the description, schematic, and pinpoint tests of the diagnostic trouble code that is flashing.

No GO to «13-4».

13-4 CHECK PASSENGER CIRCUIT FOR SHORTS

o Measure resistance between air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin 5 (Circuit 607, LB/O) and Pin 18 (Circuit 57, BK).

o Is Pin 5 shorted to ground?

Yes LOCATE and SERVICE short to ground in Circuit 607 (LB/O) or Circuit 616 (PK/BK). RECONNECT system. CYCLE ignition switch. PROCEED to the description, schematic, and pinpoint tests of the diagnostic trouble code that is flashing.

No GO to «13-5».

13-5 CHECK PRIMARY SENSORS

o Measure resistance between air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin 15 (Circuit 619, PK/W) and Pin 18 (Circuit 57, BK).

o Measure resistance between air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin 16 (Circuit 617, PK/O) and Pin 18 (Circuit 57, BK).

o Are resistance readings infinite (open)?

Yes REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor and bracket. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system.

No GO to «13-6».

13-6 DETERMINE IF SENSOR OR WIRE IS SHORTED

o Disconnect radiator primary crash sensor corresponding to the circuit with resistance to ground found in Step 13-5.

o Measure resistance across normally open contacts of radiator primary crash sensor at the sensor connector.

o Is resistance reading infinite (open)?

Yes LOCATE and SERVICE resistance to ground in wiring harness on affected circuits. RECONNECT system. CYCLE ignition switch. PROCEED to the description, schematic, and pinpoint tests of the diagnostic trouble code that is flashing.

No REPLACE respective radiator primary crash sensor. RECONNECT system. CYCLE ignition switch. PROCEED to the description, schematic, and pinpoint tests of the diagnostic trouble code that is flashing.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THE FOLLOWING UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND EXACTLY WHAT TYPE OF DVM YOU HAVE.

13-7 DETERMINE WHICH AIR BAG MODULE IS SHORTED

o Make sure that shorting bar is properly installed in passenger side air bag connector.

WARNING: USE A HAND-HELD DIGITAL OHMMETER WITH LESS THAN 10MA SHORT-CIRCUIT CURRENT ON THE LOWEST RESISTANCE SCALE POSSIBLE (TYPICALLY 200 OHMS SETTING). FAILURE TO USE A METER OF THIS TYPE MAY CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY DUE TO AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT.

o Measure resistance between either of the terminals in the passenger side air bag connector and the metal case of the passenger side air bag module.

o Is resistance reading infinite (open)?

Yes REPLACE driver side air bag module. RECONNECT system. CYCLE ignition switch. PROCEED to the description, schematic, and pinpoint tests of the diagnostic trouble code that is flashing.

No REPLACE passenger side air bag module. RECONNECT system. CYCLE ignition switch. PROCEED to the description, schematic, and pinpoint tests of the diagnostic trouble code that is flashing.

=================================

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I think this thread is the definition of Tech and should be moved to the appropriate forum. Great info here, and I'm glad to be part of a forum with such deep technical resources.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Here's some tech for you...today as I was leaving cars n coffee I was on the on ramp to the highway accelerating I go from 2nd gear to 3rd gear and BOOM my fucking pass. Side air bag in the seat DEPLOYS!!!!! My buddies gf was in the passenger seat and she is scared shitless (thankfully not hurt) and my buddy in the back says oh fuck dude your airbag!!! I said my airbag??? And sure shit enough my fucking pass. Airbag deployed and my pass. Seat is torn to shit with a damn airbag hanging out.... So I'm in disbelief/shock... I was half throttle maybe a Lil more when it happened dodnt hit any big bumps just accelerating to get on the highway!!!! So something was deff. Not right.... Called ford I'm taking it in on Monday we will see what happens... Service mgr. says these systems are designed to not deploy unless there is a impact.... There was DEFINITELY no impact...hope it all goes well but who knows what they will say since it's no where near stock! Here's some pics !

6329c292-1c58-0228.jpg
6329c292-1c67-d9f8.jpg

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Thanks abdulla!!! I am really glad to man I would have been even more pissed off if my buddies girl would have got hurt...I just hope they take care of it and don't give me a run around...Specially after the service mgr tells me that these are designed to not deploy unless there is impact...there wasn't any impact. So something isn't right! The damn seat belt won't even work anymore...!

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
Damn! never heard of ANYTHING like that happening before

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
No shit huh??? To the search bar I go!!! I would go get your shit checked out man!!! that or just sale yours whle they are still good and get some race seats!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back