Custom Cams
Aluminum Rods
Custom Crank
302 CI
Aluminum Block
Titanium Retainers
Custom Ferrea Valves
Aluminum Oil Pan
ALL tricked out stuff sitting in my show room right now...

Come Pick it up it made over 500 NA

You will be the real deal!!

Can I borrow it :)

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
I have a
14-1 compression
RGR Ported Heads
Custom Cams
Aluminum Rods
Custom Crank
302 CI
Aluminum Block
Titanium Retainers
Custom Ferrea Valves
Aluminum Oil Pan
ALL tricked out stuff sitting in my show room right now...

Come Pick it up it made over 500 NA

You will be the real deal!!

And how much does a thing like that run for?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why, Alu rods have been around for 50 years. Top Fuel cars use them over and over, making 8000 HP

I think aluminum and repeated stress is just hard wired as being bad in my brain. I know alloys have come a very long way.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone going to venture and pick up the CJ Coyote intake?

I know KDanner has one on order ... Or is it WBT I forget with those two but one of them has one on order. I have no idea when they will be shipping though, I also have one but I have no use for it yet much like the FRPP 3V and Boss 302 intakes I had sitting on the desk in my room lol. I would think the best thing to do with the CJ intake would be (like you said) to go through the engine with at least CNC'd heads and some custom cams would be nice.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Top fuel motors go only a few passes between teardowns.
Aluminum rods need to be checked for "stretch" on a very regular basis. Also they can take plenty of power but the tensile strength is less than steel so your chances of a catastrophic failure are higher.
I would never run them in a street car or even a car that sees any street time. Save them for the guys trying to win a specific class or with enough money that can tolerate the odd burn down.

EDIT: I did some reading and it seems that the "stretch" is a myth.
However, manufacturers do not suggest using them in low-load applications like street cars.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I know KDanner has one on order ... Or is it WBT I forget with those two but one of them has one on order. I have no idea when they will be shipping though, I also have one but I have no use for it yet much like the FRPP 3V and Boss 302 intakes I had sitting on the desk in my room lol. I would think the best thing to do with the CJ intake would be (like you said) to go through the engine with at least CNC'd heads and some custom cams would be nice.

Yes, on order since July. Original estimated delivery date was in September, that has changed multiple times. They are now down to bumping it 2 weeks at a time instead of a month. Current date is this Thursday, we'll see.

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
Top fuel motors go only a few passes between teardowns.
Aluminum rods need to be checked for "stretch" on a very regular basis. Also they can take plenty of power but the tensile strength is less than steel so your chances of a catastrophic failure are higher.
I would never run them in a street car or even a car that sees any street time. Save them for the guys trying to win a specific class or with enough money that can tolerate the odd burn down.

EDIT: I did some reading and it seems that the "stretch" is a myth.
However, manufacturers do not suggest using them in low-load applications like street cars.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know about the stretch being a "Myth" but I do know that when the top fuel guy pull into the pits and drop the pan they mark the rod caps with how many passes and replace them after a certain amount regardless. That may just be as a precaution but I'm not sure.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the stretch being a "Myth" but I do know that when the top fuel guy pull into the pits and drop the pan they mark the rod caps with how many passes and replace them after a certain amount regardless. That may just be as a precaution but I'm not sure.
With the stress that an 8000hp motor goes through, any connecting rod would really only be good for a small number of runs but with aluminum, it fatigues quicker than steel and with its already lower tensile strength, it is only a matter of time until it gives.
If I had a dedicated drag car that rode to the track on a trailer and was torn down between seasons, I'd use aluminum rods if my budget allowed it. The sportsman guys can get a few hundred passes on a set of aluminum rods without a problem.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Browsing through FB today I found someone had one already installed. Not sure who it is

374565_10200282157672221_1393860110_n.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back