Anyone regret doing suspension / lowering mods? few questions about my chosen parts

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score
I have some suspension mods to install and was wondering if there were any regrets or just some things that other people didn't like if you have these items on your car. Clunks, stiffness or whatever.

I already installed J&M lower control arms. Removed the front sway bar (basically to make room for intercooler / piping)...but honestly don't like how squishy the front end feels around corners and would like to research if someone offers an aftermarket option to work with the intercooler piping.

Parts I have to install...BMR Lowering springs (front and rear), Adjustable panhard bar, UPR Upper control arm, Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates and just because I have it I'll mention Stack Racing strut tower brace.

Car is a fair weather driver and I go to the drag strip couple times a season. I really want to lower it for looks, but did research what springs would suit my needs (didn't just buy the cheapest thing out there)...cc plates and adj panhard are really due to lowering it.

Thanks,
Ed

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I don't mind driving without the front sway bar, but I also have Koni adjustable shocks and struts. I can crank up the front struts slightly to stiffen the front and help compensate for the missing sway bar.

The only thing you mentioned that's really going to affect your NVH levels is the upper control arm.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
How do you like those J&M LCAs? I'm thinking of picking some up for my car with some relo brackets but am concerned about the NVH since my car is a daily driver and I'd like to retain as much comfort as possible.

The only I regret I have is not going with adjustable shocks/struts. Some of the roads get pretty rough around here and I'd like to be able to soften the ride up a bit.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
There's no single part I regret. But the sum of all the parts has started wearing on me after a while. I've literally replaced every part of my suspension but the sway bar links with either BMR or Steeda. Every little piece is going to give you just a little more noise, just a little more harshness.

For me the tipping point was my BMR front control arms. they themselves are great and I love how much more feel I get in the front end, really livened things up. I love what the springs did and the sway bars too. But those delrin bushings in the A-arms combined with the steeda HD strut mounts and Sport springs and all those urethane bushings...well the roads in NoVA suck in places and now that nothing in my suspension really gives anymore, it's punishing and irritating at times. I loosen my Tokico D-specs to their softest setting in the winter to take up some of the harshness. Still, when my ball joints eventually wear out I'm probably still gonna stick with my BMR A-arms.

The other side effect of all that aftermarket gear is something is clunking in the front, and in the rear and now I have all these places I have to check to see. Is it the strut mounts? sway bar mounts? end links? k-member? Brake calipers? Maybe its my aftermarket hood hitting on the strut mount bolts and the strut itself? Who knows, I've gotta lot of work to do.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
How do you like those J&M LCAs? I'm thinking of picking some up for my car with some relo brackets but am concerned about the NVH since my car is a daily driver and I'd like to retain as much comfort as possible.

The only I regret I have is not going with adjustable shocks/struts. Some of the roads get pretty rough around here and I'd like to be able to soften the ride up a bit.

Can't speak to J&M but I got virtually no NVH increase with my BMR LCA's. My Steeda adjustable UCA added the most noise out of any part.

Jyard

Jyard
Reaction score
I regret nothing! Albeit everything is stock aside from lowering springs, and the ride is far from perfect, I love the look. It's a bit bumpy the way it is, but I can live with it.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
oler piping.

Parts I have to install...BMR Lowering springs (front and rear), Adjustable panhard bar, UPR Upper control arm, Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates and just because I have it I'll mention Stack Racing strut tower brace.

Car is a fair weather driver and I go to the drag strip couple times a season. I really want to lower it for looks, but did research what springs would suit my needs (didn't just buy the cheapest thing out there)...cc plates and adj panhard are really due to lowering it.

Thanks,
Ed

Biggest change you should make when lowering is adding good aftermarket struts and shocks, this is of course on top of all the other mods you mentioned. But you wont be happy till you add the struts and shocks
and Sportlines for the WIN

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I rode around in my 3V with just lowering springs (Eibach Pro) and an adjustable panhard bar (BMR) for a while, and it was OK, but when I added the struts, shocks and CC plates (nothing fancy, just Eibach Pros and J&M (I think) CC plates) the car's handling really woke up. Just know that your cushy stock ride will suffer. It's a trade off. Improved handling and looks vs. comfort. Although there were times I wished for a smoother ride over rough roads, I never regretted doing it.

FWIW, I also went from 18" wheels and tires with a good bit of sidewall to 20" low profile tires, and that didn't help the comfort level any. If anything, I would have either stayed with 18's or 19's.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to install adjustable panhard bar, uca, and camber plates?
I'm going to install frpp shocks and struts with k springs....

depends on the drop
Sportlines the yes on all of the above
pro kit of the FFRP Springs you would get away with camber bolts for the alignment no strut plates, some guys flip the top strut plate that seems to help also
still need adjustable pan hard bar no matter what springs
UCA you could get away with stock if you do the pro kit or the FFRP Springs but its gonna clunk

just depends on your budget

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
This car is a money pit..........just thought that would be nice to lower it. I've not expected to spend more money on other stuff to make it right. damn
I'm not gonna install those k springs....
Thanks for infos though!
Sub'ed

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
I have the bmr lowering kit. It came with springs, panhard, among other things. I didn't need any camber bolts or plates. I ran it like that for a while wo shocks and struts just fine. I did get lcas and uca, the uca was needed.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I ran the stock UCA and LCAs on my car with eibach pro s/s/s, and never had any clunking. You don't have to do it all at once, if that concerns you. First do springs and pan hard bar. You can add the cc plates, and struts and springs later. Unless you are just all out power hungry, I think suspension mods are the best money you can spend on these cars, for looks and fun-to-drive factor.

And yes, these cars can become money pits, but you can also ration out your mods over time. You don't have to do it all at once. I'd hate to think about the money that I have spent on my car if I had done it all at once! :omfg:

Last edited:

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
This car is a money pit..........just thought that would be nice to lower it. I've not expected to spend more money on other stuff to make it right. damn
Thanks for infos though!
Sub'ed

If you decide you don't want them let me know! I'm looking for some K springs! :)

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
I'll probably install it once at a time...but freight costs will suffer.
Jp06gt, if i lived in US those springs would be already for sale!
Nice informations here!
C'mon people, tell us about your experiences!

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for infos though!
Sub'ed

That's what I initially said, then two months later I dropped it. I can't drive a 4x4 Mustang.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I ran the stock UCA and LCAs on my car with eibach pro s/s/s, and never had any clunking.

you are a lucky one
I think the 2 piece drive shafts are junk and that is part of the clunking issues folks have after lowering,that and the mount for the UCA that is under the back seat.

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score

I did notice a slight noise when decelerating after i installed them...it's one of those things that i notice, but my wife doesn't so maybe I'm just being anal. Maybe relocation brackets would have been better.
I like the replies we are getting...although I'm a bit concerned about adding the uca. I may decide to install the parts one at a time just to see how things change and to help zero in on any possible noses or chunks that may develop.

StangEd

forum member
Reaction score
Biggest change you should make when lowering is adding good aftermarket struts and shocks, this is of course on top of all the other mods you mentioned. But you wont be happy till you add the struts and shocks
and Sportlines for the WIN

Ugh...struts and shocks $$, but i guess it's inevitable

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Ugh...struts and shocks $$, but i guess it's inevitable

I feel ya

My recommendations are on doing it the correct way
There are even further mods such as the steeda bump steer
here
http://www.steeda.com/store/index.p...=all&search_str=bump+steer&search_id=&x=0&y=0

here is a real good link on what every mod does
It will help you to decide what you may be able to live with out to cut costs.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f669/guide-properly-lowering-your-s197-447906/

I used the J&M strut plates when I lowered and wished I had gone to the steeda, they adjust all 4 ways not just side to side like the J&M
some guys are just adding the GT500 plates as they are better then stock and cheaper the adjustable camber plates, if you do taht try to reverse thsm when installed as stated earlier some guys can help correct the neg camber when doing this.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back