auto trans cooler location?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic where the auto trans mounts exactly? I have the bumper off doing the gt500 swap and figured it's a good time to mount the trans cooler for my upcoming auto swap, but i've also got the whipple intercooler down there and not positive where the trans cooler mounts.

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We generally do the cooler behind the drivers side of the bumper.

You can also try doing a cooler out of (I dont know about older) 11 GT auto, it sits between the condenser and the radiator.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any pics of how I do them behind the bumper. If I can find something I will post it up for you.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FB mounted mine between the Condenser and the radiator as well. But now since i removed the A/C stuff, I have mine in the upper right corner (drivers side if your facing the car) in front of the radiator.

What auto are you going with? and what trans cooler are you using?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I've got the stock cooler and lines from nuclearmuscle and then a 5r55s with hardened input shaft, billet servos, and 10" billet PTC 3000 stall converter. Nothing super fancy, but i'm only 490 at the wheels also.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i dont know much about the 5r55's but isnt that right at about the max level?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
i dont know much about the 5r55's but isnt that right at about the max level?
I've heard they can take a lot more with a few new internal parts, but with the couple parts i've done, it should be fine at my level. I know TCI offer's one at 850hp and one at 1200hp so I have to believe it's a decent trans.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea but the TCI ones dont actually work lol. everyone who bought em has had them replaced lol, somtimes multiple times or more

Why are you going auto anyway? didnt you jsut recently do the 6060?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
yea but the TCI ones dont actually work lol. everyone who bought em has had them replaced lol, somtimes multiple times or more

Why are you going auto anyway? didnt you jsut recently do the 6060?
Don't crap in my corn flakes! LOL Yeah, I want to play at the track more, so that's the reason for my switch....again..haha

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no crap sir! lol

you shoulda let FB build ya a 4r70W. sure its 4 and a half gears (3 + OD + Lockup) instead of 5 but itll hold ya well into the 9 second zone when your ready lol

Prolly the best move i ever made short of buying the KB supercharger

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The stock auto trans cooler sits nicely in some slots between the a/c condenser and radiator, toward the bottom of the space between them. Once in the slots, there's one bolt that holds the cooler mounting bracket in place, on each side.

Really easy to install. Run the lines on the passenger side to the transmission.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
back on topic, mount your trans cooler between the condensor and the radiator. I beleive thats stock and it will work well

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
no crap sir! lol

you shoulda let FB build ya a 4r70W. sure its 4 and a half gears (3 + OD + Lockup) instead of 5 but itll hold ya well into the 9 second zone when your ready lol

Prolly the best move i ever made short of buying the KB supercharger

...I may be following your advice at some point on that, as I'll be upping the boost on my KB to 15+ psi soon, too...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...I may be following your advice at some point on that, as I'll be upping the boost on my KB to 15+ psi soon, too...

Got cams?

ill tell you with the BBR Stage 2 Cams and the stick, You had to pretty much launch the car from a dead stop to get it going. In that respect I dont miss the stick at all.

I sometimes miss if on the highway but since my 02 is a stick car its no problem hehe

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
sweet, i'll go check it out in a few. Then I can start putting the gt500 front on once that's on.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Holy crap, that thing isn't going in right now...lol. I need to get the tool to pop the hoses in 1/2 to get it in. I'll see if the trans shop has the tool tomorrow, then put it in. I need to order the bolts for the gt500 bumper spoiler, trans bolts, and crash foam any ways.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back