Battery corroded....help!

Travis318

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have just joined the site so bare with me for I am new to this. My pos battery terminal started to accumulate a foam like substance on the pos battery terminal side only. I cleaned it, but it only to come back with a vengeance and I mean that for it rotted....off. I replaced it with a temporary fix when this happened and now it has happened again haha. What should I do? Any secondary temporary fixes?? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 104

oldlugs

Reaction score
...What should I do? Any secondary temporary fixes?? Thank you in advance.

First, clean the crust off as well as you can, then SOAK that cable in ammonia, then baking soda dissolved in water. Looks like battery acid saturated the cable, as if the (previous?) battery leaked or was being overcharged.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
These cars are too persnickety when it comes to electrical issues. I would highly recommend replacing the cable. Otherwise it will continue to cause many other issues that will haunt you and cost you lots of money chasing down. Cheaper to just replace the cable.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These cars are too persnickety when it comes to electrical issues. I would highly recommend replacing the cable. Otherwise it will continue to cause many other issues that will haunt you and cost you lots of money chasing down. Cheaper to just replace the cable.

Yah, I'm with Skwerl here...replace the cable and be done with it !

x3............

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely agree replace the cable to fix the problem. To prevent it from happening again, make sure you cover as much of the exposed metal with a high quality tape or get a bottle of liquid electrical tape and brush it on. Check/clean your ground points also. Your cables look like they have been struggling for power which is usually a ground issue. At auto parts stores they offer fiber circle pads for battery post to absorb corrosion and also battery corrosion preventive spray, both cheap solutions. Hope the info helps.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
To be more specific, these other suggestions would be fine for preventative measures in the future but that particular cable looks like the corrosion has already extended way up inside the insulation and is probably beyond salvage at this point. I'd replace the cable as well as checking/cleaning/reinforcing grounds and coating the new connections with dielectric grease or some other corrosion inhibiting coating.

Travis318

Reaction score
Thank you all very much! I will most definitely change it then per review and take the steps given to prevent it again. Spray on rubber coating sounds like a good idea as well.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Go to a car audio shop. Get some aftermarket stuff that looks nice.

Like this.

Mine is in the trunk now, but this is how I rolled back in the day...

IMG_6460-vi.jpg

Yes, I added insulation to the battery hold-down rod by that positive terminal that powered my woofers.

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
This was obviously previous damage.

First, replace the cable, like everyone else says. When you do this, add the felt "donut" protectors you can get at any auto parts store. Lastly, coat the clamp with something to seal it. Vaseline washes away too easily. I've always used Gasgacinch.

Poyzniv

Reaction score
I had the same problem on one of my '06 GT's. I ended up cleaning the positive terminal several times only too have the problem come back. By this time the terminal on the cable is very corroded. I ended up buying a new battery and a new battery cable harness through Rock Auto (the cheapest source for a new Motorcraft cable). I also found out I had a leak around my positive battery terminal on my original Motorcraft battery, which wass causing my problems. Since replacing the items, no more problems. I also use Qualco Battery Anti Corrosion grease on the terminals to help protect them.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This was obviously previous damage.

First, replace the cable, like everyone else says. When you do this, add the felt "donut" protectors you can get at any auto parts store. Lastly, coat the clamp with something to seal it. Vaseline washes away too easily. I've always used Gasgacinch.

That's what I do, never had any issues with corrosion using this method.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back