Body Kit Help!!

sgbruton

forum member
Reaction score
so i need to take my side skirts off for some fresh paint, but cant get the 3M double sided tape to budge, is there anything i can do to take the tape off without messing up my paint?? Or is there some solvent i can put on it to eat the foam in the tape and let the panels just fall off. I have been working on it all moring and cant figure anything out.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Anyway you can get some fishing line inbetween the panels and use it to cut the 3M tape?

sgbruton

forum member
Reaction score
no, actually i dont think i can. i had to take off some emblems a while back and did that they tape goes along the rocker panel so its sort of a large area i am dealing with. Im kinda trying to find some sort of magic liquid i can pour on it and the whole thing just falls off, not really sure if something like that exists

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Magic Liquid???

I'll sell you some magic beans, but I'm all out of Magic liquid. I'll ask around though.

Anyway you can get some fishing line inbetween the panels and use it to cut the 3M tape?

What he said.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
sawzall1.jpg

:lol2::laughlots:

sgbruton

forum member
Reaction score
come on now. i really need to do this. is the fishing line the best answer?

Boozshey

Reaction score
You realize you are getting your ass kick right now by some tape!!!

Pull that shit off! I have the same side skirts. It isn't hard to be a man.

cagefightmma

forum member
Reaction score
Try some stuff called "Goof Off". I would test it in a unconspicuous place first though. It takes adhesive and breaks it down into a gummy texture so it will be soft enough to pull off. I took some ground effect parts off some other cars i've owned with that and it seemed to work pretty good. Take a syringe and squirt some in the crack where the double stick tape is but don't over do it and have it run all over your paint. A little goes a long way. Hope this helps.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
come on now. i really need to do this. is the fishing line the best answer?

Yes, if you don't have the Magic Liquid. That's why two of us are telling you to do it that way.

:roflmao: Technical Thread of the day???

Try some stuff called "Goof Off". I would test it in a unconspicuous place first though. It takes adhesive and breaks it down into a gummy texture so it will be soft enough to pull off. I took some ground effect parts off some other cars i've owned with that and it seemed to work pretty good. Take a syringe and squirt some in the crack where the double stick tape is but don't over do it and have it run all over your paint. A little goes a long way. Hope this helps.

Rule #1 Thou shalt not divulge the name of the Magic Liquid.

sgbruton

forum member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boozshey

yes i know its not that hard to be a man but im a broke man and cant really afford breaking another part of my car.

Originally Posted by cagefightmma.net

thanks i will be trying this

Rule #1 Thou shalt not divulge the name of the Magic Liquid.
Okay the magic liquid remark was a little dumb. but apparently there is some sort of magic liquid out there it just doesn't go by that name

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
yes i know its not that hard to be a man but im a broke man and cant really afford breaking another part of my car.

thanks i will be trying this

Okay the magic liquid remark was a little dumb. but apparently there is some sort of magic liquid out there it just doesn't go by that name

Magic liquid is ok. But if you ever see the magic blue smoke coming out of anything. . . . You're fucked, lol

What part of NC are you in?

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
I have taken off these side skirts before so let me be the first to tell you that you just have to pull it off. No "magic liquid" will harm that tape without harming the paint nothing will happen and if paint does come off it will the paint under the 3m tape. If you are putting them back on then you will have no worries, and the paint that chipped off of my car was a very small amount that cleaned up with some brush on touch up paint.

sgbruton

forum member
Reaction score
Magic liquid is ok. But if you ever see the magic blue smoke coming out of anything. . . . You're fucked, lol

What part of NC are you in?

I am from a small town about 45 mins east of Raleigh.

sgbruton

forum member
Reaction score
I have taken off these side skirts before so let me be the first to tell you that you just have to pull it off. No "magic liquid" will harm that tape without harming the paint nothing will happen and if paint does come off it will the paint under the 3m tape. If you are putting them back on then you will have no worries, and the paint that chipped off of my car was a very small amount that cleaned up with some brush on touch up paint.

thanks, thats what i was trying to avoid, but of its the best way i guess i will at least try it. how sturdy is that material the kit is made of?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
It's pretty tough. Here's mine when a board kicked up into it. It came right back in place with no problem. Can't even tell it now.

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

Boozshey

Reaction score
That's a stock rocker panel DKS. He has the cervini's side skirt. I can't tell you, that will crack it if it ever was hit like that. I can promise that. Ask me how I know... haha Wait don't ask me. :beerdrink:

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
thanks, thats what i was trying to avoid, but of its the best way i guess i will at least try it. how sturdy is that material the kit is made of?
Its flexible but not as flexible as DKS stock rocker is. lol I just stuck my fingers under the side skirt from under the car and started peeling up slowly then out and it cam right off with a little bit of muscle.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back