Built Engines

YLWNOR

ProCharged
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get ideas of building the stock block in my 06 GT. What do you all recommend. All advice would be great from Building the block or getting a built block. Thanks all

08GT/CS

Reaction score
I am looking to get ideas of building the stock block in my 06 GT. What do you all recommend. All advice would be great from Building the block or getting a built block. Thanks all

I'd like to see what everyone recommends also. I've been thinking about buying a Dart short block.

YLWNOR

ProCharged
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
right now I have 500 rwhp with a D1 ProCharger intercooled 60lb injectors. Just need to make the Block handle the big power.

ryanralston07

forum member
Reaction score
Most everyone is going to recommend a Livernois 298 stroker, but you BBR is a great company as well and you can get a set of rings, pistons, and other parts as did One Eyed Willy and run the stock crank shaft that is good up to 650rwhp is what BBR insures their's to.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I'd like to see what everyone recommends also. I've been thinking about buying a Dart short block.
Neat trick considering Dart makes NOTHING for a modmotor.

right now I have 500 rwhp with a D1 ProCharger intercooled 60lb injectors. Just need to make the Block handle the big power.
Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?

Most everyone is going to recommend a Livernois 298 stroker, but you BBR is a great company as well and you can get a set of rings, pistons, and other parts as did One Eyed Willy and run the stock crank shaft that is good up to 650rwhp is what BBR insures their's to.
Livernois, BBR, Fox Lake, Probe, Modmax, and a ton of others offer built shortblocks ready to go. They also offer rods & pistons so you can do it yourself or have a local shop do it for you. What you really need to establish is what your end goals are and how much you are willing to spend.

*Pssst....I've got one for sale too* :beerchug2:

david01130

forum member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat but probably wont end up doing this for awhile unless I come across a good deal. I would definitely go witha new block though. Its nice to have your stock block tucked away so you can reinstall it if you want to sell the car or whatever. Its also a little easier instead of ripping out our block and having to do work on it. As far as building it yourself I have found that some shortblocks are well priced at around $3000. Soem companies are selling them at around $5000 which is a little overpriced if you price all the parts out. You can probably build an aluminum 4.6 forged and/or stroked with forged pistons Hbeams and crank for around $3k. Some companies are stlling those setups for $3k so you dont really save much money. basically just shop around at the different shops like US-1 suggested and do some searches to see what other people have done. a lot of people have gone livernois although they arent necessarily the best.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd bet deep down a lot of the guys with the 298 motors would have gtotten the boss block if they could do it over.

Just do it right and get the boss block and have 320+ ci and a stout set-up IMO.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
YEP - works with everything.

However, 330 is not promised. It depends on what stroke, bore, pistons, etc.

Typically, you'll easily be over 320 ci with the typical set-ups out there available.

david01130

forum member
Reaction score
I believe those boss 302 blocks are like $3k just for the block? and then about another $2-3k for internals, bearings, bolts, etc.? So you are looking at $5-6k for that short block? correct me if im wrong

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Ok...you're wrong. You can get the Boss5.0 block for around $1800 (give or take). Stroker rotating assembly with the custom 3.700" bore (or 3.720") will run around $2500 or so (again...give or take $100 or so). Then add in roughly $1200 for machine work and assembly.

So your end number was pretty close. However, it is a big bore/stroker so you really can't expect it to be cheap. Personally........I think anything larger than 300" is overkill for a street/strip car. More dedicated limited street/heavily strip cars could consider this type shortblock. Again.....just personal preference.

If someone was to build a serious-effort N/A engine I would definitely go with the big bore block and a standard stroke crank. Or even a destroked crank like the unit that Lunati is offering now. You would get the larger bore of the 3.700" bore to unshroud the valves and let the engine breathe deeply along with the higher rpm capability of the shorter stroke crank.

For the original poster....I'd suggest a stock bore/stroke setup. With a ProCharger you will have some time to get the car hooked before the boost and rpm start trying to rip the tires loose. Especially with a D1 head unit.

david01130

forum member
Reaction score
sorry youre right at $1800. For some reason I had $3k stuck in my head I think I was thinking for the aluminum 5.4

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Hey John I can't find that thread, but didn't you post the specs and price of that block somewhere? Can't seem to did it...Throw some #'s at us again? LOL

$4300 fully assembled for the BBR 302 Stroker

Built to order, we can set up the compression to what you are wanting.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back