Can't decide Centri/Pos Disp? (moved 2011)

Liquid

Reaction score
I like a lot of the options presented in this thread, but I like the centri style the most. The efficiency of a centrifugal supercharger is unmatched, and the fact it builds power as tire speed increases means your car is going to be able to put a lot of that power to the ground more effectively.

rsb5772

Reaction score
I'm not making my decision based on which one works best at 2500 rpm's. I was only saying that while driving on the street, with the flow of traffic, I don't need much pressure and dumping gas to it. I think I will be going with a pd. As to which one, not sure yet. I'll be following along with the whipple and kb builds that are going on here right now. Thanks everyone.

RectalRampage

forum member
Reaction score
I like a lot of the options presented in this thread, but I like the centri style the most. The efficiency of a centrifugal supercharger is unmatched, and the fact it builds power as tire speed increases means your car is going to be able to put a lot of that power to the ground more effectively.

Id challenge that efficiency claim any day with a well put together turbo setup or even a screw, hell nitrous will blow them all away lol.

Being a good driver with throttle control and wide sticky tires puts the power to the ground too, being on the bleeding edge of traction will always be the fastest.

Sometimes its fun just to blow the tires off at any RPM too :-D.

IMO Cents are for easy cost effective manufacturing and space saving easy end user installs.

Id like to see a cent curve better in every aspect then the power curve of a properly done turbo setup or screw.

Last edited:

dsblk93gt

Reaction score
I am confused on the shifting at 2500, I almost thought I was on powerstrokenation for a minute.

Not many people mention the Roush TVS and thats one of the most impressive ones I have seen as far as track times. VMP's car ran 10.61@130 with stock auto, stock 3.15 gears, and some 18" drag radials. I believe it still has the Roush airbox on it as well. I also think it is nice looking.

Not many cars that are 6spd manual with a SC running at the track other than Lethal's car which is running strong as well.

dsblk93gt

Reaction score
I'm not making my decision based on which one works best at 2500 rpm's. I was only saying that while driving on the street, with the flow of traffic, I don't need much pressure and dumping gas to it. I think I will be going with a pd. As to which one, not sure yet. I'll be following along with the whipple and kb builds that are going on here right now. Thanks everyone.

It's tough with a pd blower not to get into boost at all, but if driven easy I can't see a huge mileage issue.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
Id like to see a cent curve better in every aspect then the power curve of a properly done turbo setup or screw.

I'm hoping to prove this wrong in the next few months. Don't get me wrong turbos are great... But, my centri setup should be pretty well rounded..

RectalRampage

forum member
Reaction score
Thats what OD is for... My car turns 2800RPM at 80. I have 4.30s .. Not that bad really. Oh and I still get 25MPG

That isnt bad with 4.30s.... Id suspect 3.73s turning those revs, still too high for me though. I take it this is with an automagic?

Last edited:

RectalRampage

forum member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to prove this wrong in the next few months. Don't get me wrong turbos are great... But, my centri setup should be pretty well rounded..

That would be cool, it would be the first cent graph ive seen that has better low, mid, and top end power then a screw or turbo setup.

I am not a turbo or PD drone, but for some reason I just do not like those cent blowers.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
nope mine is an M6. I'm with ya on the centris... I used to hate them... However, with the new 5.0 they have changed my mind..

Liquid

Reaction score
Id challenge that efficiency claim any day with a well put together turbo setup or even a screw, hell nitrous will blow them all away lol.

Being a good driver with throttle control and wide sticky tires puts the power to the ground too, being on the bleeding edge of traction will always be the fastest.

Sometimes its fun just to blow the tires off at any RPM too :-D.

IMO Cents are for easy cost effective manufacturing and space saving easy end user installs.

I thought this thread was about superchargers, so I'm not sure where the turbo and nitrous remarks have to do with anything.

As far as efficiency is concerned, I'll have to see maps from both KB and Whipple before I can agree with you. Most people are fine with knowing they can reach XYZ whp with a blower. I on the other hand would like to know the supercharger matches my goals perfectly, rather than relying on some dealer for brand A "swearing" by it or posting bogus dyno sheets.

Traction is definitely more reliant on tires and suspension, but for a lot of people looking for good, streetable power, a centrifugal supercharger is a great option. Positive displacements are very streetable too, don't get me wrong, but I think I would still prefer the centri's "ramping" effect for the street.

Obviously we each have our own preference :roflmao:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
...I like the centri style the most...and the fact it builds power as tire speed increases means your car is going to be able to put a lot of that power to the ground more effectively.

+1. I have a centri (Vortech V2 S-trim) and I can launch drama free at the dragstrip (I launch at just 6 lbs of boost at 4800 rpm's with a big stall converter and drag radials). Then as rpm's climb, the car is a rocket, but stays very tractable. I run the same ET's as a lot of PD-blown S197's that have 100-150 more rwhp than me.

On the street, my car is easy to drive. It has plenty of power at tip in. Fuel economy is 22-23 mpg on the highway (factory EPA rating was 23 mpg highway, so right on par), and that's with a big stall converter and 4.10 gears.

I love the feeling of instant torque that a PD blower provides, but it often just results in silly tirespin. Great for a good laugh, but I'd much rather have a composed car that can launch easily with maximum traction and rip after the car is underway. My car runs 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The 1/8 mile comes in just 7.5 seconds, so my centri works great at lower speeds, too, not just the 1/4 mile and beyond.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back