Car will start, but shuts off immediately. Fail safe mode

Laga

Reaction score
Finished doing the PCV removal and catch can mods. Went to start and car started immediately, but then dies. Went into failsafe. Got codes P2104, P2106, P2111, & P2135.
The first two are basically that the ECM is in failsafe.
P2111 is Throttle Actuator stuck open. Its not.
P2135 is that the TPS readings in the ECM and gas pedal readings do not jive.
Gas pedal is not stuck.

The oblivious culprit would be the 16YO TPS was damaged when I moved the throttle blade manually when I cleaned the TB. All wires appear to be intact. Any other ideas?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could be the TB motor as well. I’ve had two fail on me with the big monoblade and had experience those same symptoms

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Did you set the spring when you moved the motor over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laga

Reaction score
I did not take motor apart when I cleaned the TB. I moved blade slowly and gently to get access.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Did you damage one of the connectors or wiring? I would look at the pins on both connectors that connect to the TB and test continuity end to end. Possible you could have damaged a sensor/gear cleaning but that thing is pretty tough unless it got dropped or damaged in some way. Easiest way to test is swap it out if you have an extra. Otherwise maybe below will help..

Subsystem description: Torque Based Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) - https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=7&f=Torque Based Electronic Throttle Control (ETC).pdf

Troubleshooting: Sounds like you lost one of the signals or grounds for the TB motor or TPS and it went into hard shutdown (disabling fuel injectors). For failure modes and explanations see 1-128; 1-129; 1-130. For DTC charts/descriptions involving TB issues. https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=10&f=Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Charts and Descriptions.pdf&p=39

For troubleshooting tests start at: 5-169 (ETC). https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=30&f=Introduction.pdf

If you end up needing another I have a known good spare I took off when I upgraded mine.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Well that sucks. What the online manual does not give you is the chart w/voltage values that should be on the page. Here's the missing information.

Key On, Engine Off.
Access PCM and monitor TP1 and TP2 PIDs.
Press Accelerator pedal to the floor and release.

ETC Signal Position Voltages
Pedal Position TP1 TP2
Fully released

DieHarder

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Hitting Enter posted this prematurely. Here's the detail:

ETC Signal Position Voltages

Pedal Position TP1 TP2
Fully released 3.7 - 4.7 0.3 - 1.9
To the Floor 0.7 - 2.9 4.1 - 4.7

Results: YES, Go to DV18
NO, Go DV3

DieHarder

Reaction score
This online manual is missing most all of the troubleshooting charts. I can do a word doc and post it if you need the troubleshooting detail. Just let me know.

Laga

Reaction score
I was careful handling the TB.
This looks like it will help a lot. I will check things out tomorrow. Since I have an Edelbrock SC , I’m using the stock motor and TPS , but different body.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I meant when you swapped the tb motor to the new tb. The little cover needs to be removed and the spring needs tension on it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I meant when you swapped the tb motor to the new tb. The little cover needs to be removed and the spring needs tension on it.
he didn't swap the TB, he just moved the blade during cleaning.

Laga

Reaction score
Ok, it’s official. I am a moron. The TPS and fuel pressure sensor both use the same 4 pin connector. I had them switched. Normally, they are on opposite sides of the engine and cannot reach each other. The wire harness that Edelbrock uses has enough slack to allow for this as the two are very close to each other on the Edelbrock TB. The wire was originally labeled, but that has fallen off.
In the directions for testing the TPS, it states the wire needed is the “yellow wire on the bottom “. I looked and while there was a yellow wire on the TPS, it was not on one of the outside positions. That’s when I noticed that there was a yellow wire on the inside of the FPS. I swapped them and car started immediately. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well at least it was an easy fix

Laga

Reaction score
In the 4 years I’ve had the SC, I believe this is the first time I had both the TPS & the FPS unplugged at the same time.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Ok, it’s official. I am a moron. The TPS and fuel pressure sensor both use the same 4 pin connector. I had them switched. Normally, they are on opposite sides of the engine and cannot reach each other. The wire harness that Edelbrock uses has enough slack to allow for this as the two are very close to each other on the Edelbrock TB. The wire was originally labeled, but that has fallen off.
In the directions for testing the TPS, it states the wire needed is the “yellow wire on the bottom “. I looked and while there was a yellow wire on the TPS, it was not on one of the outside positions. That’s when I noticed that there was a yellow wire on the inside of the FPS. I swapped them and car started immediately. Thanks for the help.

Laga, say it isn't so....;D Next time the first question we're going to ask is "are you sure you have the wires in the right positions?" Well, guess it was a no-brainer.

Laga

Reaction score
Generally, auto manufacturers do not use the same connections within reach of each other. This is an attempt to make things idiot proof.

Challenge accepted!!

I stated wires were intact. Not correct.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
he didn't swap the TB, he just moved the blade during cleaning.

Nevermind, I misread one of his posts. It sounded like he swapped the motor to another Tb. Luckily it was an easy fix op.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back