Chasing a 5.0

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Well said!:beer:

I agree. From my point of view, stock vs stock, basic mods vs similar basic mods, it'd be near impossible to beat a coyote on the 1/4 mile. I enjoy my fairly stock 3V and "wanna go fast". So I'll do what I can with my 3V.

Gotta laugh though. You'd think this was a coyote vs Camaro thread. You guys love to bust balls! LOL

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Mod for mod the 'yote will beat the 3v 9/10 times. Thats just the reality of it.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
I don't know why the coyote feels fast to me. I had an 06 gt 3650 best bone stock time was a 13.55@104. Suspension 1 piece ds, o/r mid pipe, delete plates, tune, 4.10, cai best was a 12.56@109. Added a whipple @10 lbs 475 rwhp ran a best before selling a 11.37@123. It was a beast off the line with 4.10s lol.
I sold it got an 11 auto 12.80@110 stock. Cai tune ds 3800 stall dr LT ran a best of 11.60@116. My 3v would crush from a roll but the coyote feels faster. Gearing higher rpms it just feels faster.
I love my 11. Sometimes I wish I would have kept the 06 and added some hot rods for a wicked idle instead of the blower and crack off a 11.9x.

Last edited:

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
It was a beast off the line with 4.10s

Sometimes I wish I would have kept the 06 and added some hot rods for a wicked idle instead of the blower and crack off a 11.9x.

That's really all I want outta my 3V. Some cruising fun (especially on isolated back roads), some street presence (nice idle and rumble) and bang through the gears every now and then.

I don't have the budget for a 5.0 or GT500, but my 3V makes me smile.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I don't know why the coyote feels fast to me. I had an 06 gt 3650 best bone stock time was a 13.55@104. Suspension 1 piece ds, o/r mid pipe, delete plates, tune, 4.10, cai best was a 12.56@109. Added a whipple @10 lbs 475 rwhp ran a best before selling a 11.37@123. It was a beast off the line with 4.10s lol.
I sold it got an 11 auto 12.80@110 stock. Cai tune ds 3800 stall dr LT ran a best of 11.60@116. My 3v would crush from a roll but the coyote feels faster. Gearing higher rpms it just feels faster.
I love my 11. Sometimes I wish I would have kept the 06 and added some hot rods for a wicked idle instead of the blower and crack off a 11.9x.

Motors that have a "rush" of power up top always feel faster. It's the same thing with turbo stuff. They "rush" up top so they feel super fast.

Short gearing always makes stuff feel fast too.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
That's really all I want outta my 3V. Some cruising fun (especially on isolated back roads), some street presence (nice idle and rumble) and bang through the gears every now and then.

I don't have the budget for a 5.0 or GT500, but my 3V makes me smile.

Thats what I felt too. I put on a blower, put down 480 and now im looking to build a motor to up the boost. Its a sickness as my fiance says. I was fine and am still fine with the current power...but the sickness is I love cars and tinkering and have always wanted to build a motor. Doing all the work yourself def saves money for a neverending expensive hobby

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Thats what I felt too. I put on a blower, put down 480 and now im looking to build a motor to up the boost. Its a sickness as my fiance says. I was fine and am still fine with the current power...but the sickness is I love cars and tinkering and have always wanted to build a motor. Doing all the work yourself def saves money for a neverending expensive hobby

LOL. My wife and kids say I'm addicted too!

Say, in the spirit of "chasing a 5.0", I'm looking at 4.10s for some extra grunt off the line. I'm still N/A and will be for a while. Anyone use 4.30s in a similar setup? Opinions? Maybe I can keep up for the first 1/8. :)

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Go with 4.56 if you are staying na. I've had them with a centri and they worked fine. Also ran them na. If you want some grunt get the 4.56 or even 4.88. 4.10 at the very least.

LOL. My wife and kids say I'm addicted too!

Say, in the spirit of "chasing a 5.0", I'm looking at 4.10s for some extra grunt off the line. I'm still N/A and will be for a while. Anyone use 4.30s in a similar setup? Opinions? Maybe I can keep up for the first 1/8. :)

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Go with 4.56 if you are staying na. I've had them with a centri and they worked fine. Also ran them na. If you want some grunt get the 4.56 or even 4.88. 4.10 at the very least.

I thought of 4.56 too. I have taller tires in the rear (295/45/18s) and I know that knocks the effective gear ration down a bit. Thanks for the feedback, Bruce.

Scott T.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
When my 2006 was still NA I swear I felt more of a difference going to 4.10 gearing vs. the cai/tune package I bought from brenspeed.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I may get bashed for this, but a slightly less powerful engine then the coyote is some times more fun when not racing. Like my wife's torrent GXP. DOHC, 3.6L 264 HP redlines at 7k RPMs unless in 1st or 2nd gear then shifts at 6500. But on back roads you can just keep the pedal down and let it scream and yes can hit 100 mph quick but it keeps you inline as its only 264 HP. My coyote, keep the pedal nailed for more then a blink of an eye and you can be doing triple the speed limit and go to jail doing the same thing or kill someone lol .

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
^I hope the fun factor in a 3V with a mild bolt-ons is somewhere between the coyote and your wife's gxp! :)

I should go test drive a used 5.0 for shits 'n giggles to see what I'm missing. (or maybe I shouldn't?! LOL)

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'd had my car for 6 years now, and I still just go out and drive it randomly with no actual destination. I usually hit some on ramps and just cruise. No car has made me happier! Since the cams I look forward to redlights and just listening to it idle like it literally never gets old. I'ma be buried in this bitch. :roflmao:

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I'd had my car for 6 years now, and I still just go out and drive it randomly with no actual destination. I usually hit some on ramps and just cruise. No car has made me happier! Since the cams I look forward to redlights and just listening to it idle like it literally never gets old. I'ma be buried in this bitch. :roflmao:

LOL +1

I love Mustangs in general. If I had some disposable income, I'd be driving a GT500 though. One to kick EVERYONE'S ass! (hypothetically). LOL

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Bruce,Did you run these gears with the 3650?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back