Crash and issue with vibration afterwards

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
So long story, but I won't say it all here, but there is a very interesting thing I have experienced and would not believe it unless I saw it.

GF crashed car, lateral impact on a barier with the side of the car and tranny came in to contact with the barrier. Car gets fixed at body shop. Pick car up, looks beautiful, got half a block away and returned car. Massive, I mean massive vibration in the drivetrain at 2500-3000 rpm. Through my own quick troubleshooting I narrowed it down to a flywheel or clutch issue.

I take car to a transmission place and tell them to remove the transmission and look at the flywheel. I get a call a couple hours later and the guys says it isn't the flywheel, it is the exhaust causing it. (hard mounted to body where the side pipes come out). I said it is the same as it was prior to accident. He still said that was the issue. (Charge me an hour labour, $98)

So I take it to a muffler shop, they adjusted exhaust and said the vibration was still there (no charge)

So I take it to yet another shop and tell them to pull tranny (I didn't trust the first shop anymore). And we find the problem is the SPEC aluminum flywheel. The GF had the clutch depressed at the time of the collision and the lateral impact shifted the steel wear ring of the flywheel enough to knock it out of ballance. Enough in fact that the 20 screws holding the steel plate in place were pushed sideways in the aluminum leaving thread witness marks in the clearance holes. I would never have guessed that could happen, but it did.

Pictures to follow later tonight.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^Oh yeah, I've been following that thread.

Sorry to hear about your transmission woes, but at least it looks like the body work came out good.

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
So update, the transmission is going back in now and new clutch installed. My private insurance company was saying the flywheel failed but not as a result of the accident and therefore will not pay for it.

I sent them a very detailed email with technical information along with photos of the transmission where it came into contact with the barrier, the flywheel, the plate shifted to one side, the screws on an angle, everything. Added that if I do not get covered I will pursue it in court for out of pocket expenses. I told them I would pay for the clutch itself, it was worn out.

Today I got word they are covering it. Had to work at it a bit, but I got what I want. Should be picking up the 2014 tonight and bit a fairwell to a car that I loved to death until it got bent up. Lost the love for it after that.

Here are some pics I sent.

Attachments

• number 4.jpg
    number 4.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back