Does this sound right to you? Maybe I need a new tuner?

jre8806

S197 Member
Reaction score
Okay well here's the situation. I took my dads 2007 GT in to get Hot Rod Cams put on the car on top of the other mods and get it dyno tuned. Here's the power mod list.

Automatic Transmission
JLT CAI
3.73 gears
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates
Kooks LT headers and 3 inch magnaflow exhaust
Hot Rod Cams

I will not say who did this job in Houston, but he dyno tuned the car before the hot rod cams and the car made 320 rwhp. I thought it was a bit low, but he told me its an automatic. I knew automatics have smaller numbers but this small? And then he installs the hot rod cams, and after dynotuning explains to my dad he only gained 18 rwhp. Now I know I don't know cars too intensive, but I wasnt born yesterday. My first thought was "With all the sh*t I've put in this car, and it don't even make 350 to the tire?!" These things advertise 50HP at the crank, correct? I was curious as to what you guys think the issue could be if there was one? Maybe machine, or maybe find a new tuner in the houston area? If this is in the wrong area I apologize in advance.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
320 sounds pretty good before the cams. and 18 whp is fine after the cams. Do you or your dad run the car at the track ever?

jre8806

S197 Member
Reaction score
320 sounds pretty good before the cams. and 18 whp is fine after the cams. Do you or your dad run the car at the track ever?

I don't understand 18rwhp if whats advertised is 50 to the crank. I was almost sure 30 was the norm. Perhaps that was with a manual, idk. No we have never ran it. But it does feel quite a noticeable power difference. Can I ask why you ask? This is also in south texas where sea level is very close...

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
advertisements are like fast food commercials. It looks pretty good on a tv commercial, but when you open up the wrapper, you get a smelly snatch..Dont get caught up with advertisements and dyno numbers. If you have an opportunity to run the car at the track, that will/should tell you how much power you have...

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
18 rwhp is very low for a cam especially when he has intake and exhaust done, thats should only make the cam produce more power total. the prior tune sounds pretty spot on honestly, my car made the same power with similar mods, but after the cams and that tune i'd take my money somewhere else and get a proper tune cause the guy obviously cat do it. but also was this all done the same day? if not then my above statement could be wrong as weather plays a big part

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Okay well here's the situation. I took my dads 2007 GT in to get Hot Rod Cams put on the car on top of the other mods and get it dyno tuned. Here's the power mod list.

Automatic Transmission
JLT CAI
3.73 gears
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates
Kooks LT headers and 3 inch magnaflow exhaust
Hot Rod Cams

I will not say who did this job in Houston, but he dyno tuned the car before the hot rod cams and the car made 320 rwhp. I thought it was a bit low, but he told me its an automatic. I knew automatics have smaller numbers but this small? And then he installs the hot rod cams, and after dynotuning explains to my dad he only gained 18 rwhp. Now I know I don't know cars too intensive, but I wasnt born yesterday. My first thought was "With all the sh*t I've put in this car, and it don't even make 350 to the tire?!" These things advertise 50HP at the crank, correct? I was curious as to what you guys think the issue could be if there was one? Maybe machine, or maybe find a new tuner in the houston area? If this is in the wrong area I apologize in advance.

So the car is making 338 rwhp through an auto with stock heads, motor, and only a tune, cai, headers, and cams?

That's really good, there is nothing to be disappointed in. How's the driveability?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
18 rwhp is very low for a cam especially when he has intake and exhaust done, thats should only make the cam produce more power total. the prior tune sounds pretty spot on honestly, my car made the same power with similar mods, but after the cams and that tune i'd take my money somewhere else and get a proper tune cause the guy obviously cat do it. but also was this all done the same day? if not then my above statement could be wrong as weather plays a big part

No it's not at all and this is coming from a 2010 GT owner who had almost the same mods and made almost the same numbers, only difference is I have 410 gears.

HR cams are NSR cams so you will not get a lot of lift with them; they will make power but not like other NSR cams as these are made to make the noise of the old school cars.

OP-when I installed my Kooks LT's with a catted H and the HR cams I picked up 32 hp and 2 ft lbs of tq so you are right where you should be.

Did you get any track runs in before the cam install? If you did make another run at the track to see how your times/speed changed.

That 3" exhaust may be hurting it as well, that's too large for a NA car.

What gear did they do the tuning in?

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic

forum member
Reaction score
350 seems a bit optimistic for a couple bolt ons and NSR cams (especially HR cams).

Do you have some scans of before/after dynos? I'd be curious to see A/F ratios of both. Any idea what timing was on either tune?

RiskyBiznes05GT

forum member
Reaction score
I would say that tuning of the car with those few bolt ons isn't going to require a super great tuner. Pretty much any fairly reputable tuner should be able to get you a precise tune. After all WOT tuning is the easy part, the real magic is in drive ability.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
That sounds about dead on actually, Im was running all boltons ( minus heads and longtubes ) with Comp Thumpr cams, with a quality dynotune and I put down 321 at the wheels. I have long tube headers now but havent been back to the dyno yet to see what gains that was. Def pulls a lot harder.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back