Electric steering conversion

07 procharger

Addicted to modding
Reaction score
I searched and found nothing, but maybe I suck at searching.

Has anyone converted their 05-09 power steering to the newer electric style set up?

Is it even interchangeable? Id like to lose the pump if I can.

thanks for any insight.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
It has not been done AFAIK but I will be testing that hopefully soon.

We did install it on the coyote conversion we did on a 07 with the coyote control pack.

Install wise is easy, just need to confirm the EPAS would read the vehicle speed PID of the 3V PCM so it would adjust force with it, that is the test I plan to do. Will report as soon as I do it.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The K-Member requires provisions for a third bolt that is present on the EPAS rack and not the earlier ones. Look at the difference on BMR's '05-10 and '11+ k-members.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
I would bet weight would be pretty close to the same. Big benefit that I would like would be getting rid of power steering lines and reservoir

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
If anybody wants an EPAS unit to try a swap let me know. I pulled mine off my car at around 8k miles when I went to a manual rack on my 2012.

/shameless plug

scottythesparky

Reaction score
This is a great idea as I've done two pumps since I've had the car...due to being lead footed when doing doughnuts at full lock,high rpm, as is seems to pressurize the seals and then the steering is as hard as to turn.. U guys know of any other way around this?? Yeah yeah I know stop being a dick and take more control on what your doing..:))

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After doing a K member sway on my 13 I think the EPAS/K member is a lot heavier than it was on my 2010.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
My EPAS rack weight 35lbs with the inner tie rods still on it. Just an FYI for the weight conscious

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
This is a great idea as I've done two pumps since I've had the car...due to being lead footed when doing doughnuts at full lock,high rpm, as is seems to pressurize the seals and then the steering is as hard as to turn.. U guys know of any other way around this?? Yeah yeah I know Stop being a dick and take more control on what your doing..:))

I'm going to stick to this idea, hope when you're acting like an extra in the fast and furious that you're not on the street.
I've had no issues with my steering.
Not sure I am seeing the benefit to a swap like this for strip use, the power steering pump is not really dragging the engine till you turn the wheels.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm going to stick to this idea, hope when you're acting like an extra in the fast and furious that you're not on the street.
I've had no issues with my steering.
Not sure I am seeing the benefit to a swap like this for strip use, the power steering pump is not really dragging the engine till you turn the wheels.

On my old fox, when I would run a short belt bypassing the PS pump, I would gain about .2 in the quarter. You're still making small steering inputs all the way down the track. It makes a difference.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have a point, I have no gauge as to how heavy those parts are .

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
On my old fox, when I would run a short belt bypassing the PS pump, I would gain about .2 in the quarter. You're still making small steering inputs all the way down the track. It makes a difference.

Shit if it gives me .2 in the quarter I will bring a belt with me to swap at the track!
What kind of gain would you think on our cars bypassing the PS? even .1 would be sweet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back