Electronic power assist in the 2011?

05 gt

forum member
Reaction score
I've read that the 2011 will have electonic steering assist. Which means no power steering pump. Would this make the new 5 liter motor won't be a "direct" swap for the 05-10 mustangs?

G.T

Reaction score
Yeah i guess you'll have to swap the steering gear as well..

i wasn't aware of this but i checked the parts diagrams, and sure enough the whole thing is different! check the attachments for clarification

Attachments

• 2010 Steering Gear.PNG
    2010 Steering Gear.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 2011 Steering Gear.JPG
    2011 Steering Gear.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

G.T

Reaction score
Well you also save the weight and drag from the power steering pump so that's gotta make up for a little extra weight in the rack ;)

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
Looks heavy...

And all the extra weight is at the very bottom of the car, as close to the CG as you can get it. Plus, it doesn't weigh any more than the pump/pulley, reservoir, tubing, and X quarts of PS fluid. Plus, it's less complicated, less failure-prone, produces less drag on the engine, and is more easily tunable.

What's your point? Or are you bitching just to bitch? Cos that's cool, we all do that.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
FRPP will have a kit for this to swap into the prior models.

This is freakin' AWESOME! Finally!!!

Ford NEVER was able to produce a steering rack that didn't sweat PS fluid. Every Mustang I've ever owned including my '06 has had this problem. My wife's '03 Camary is still bone dry. And my '96 Toyota Tacoma before that, same thing. How Ford is not able to correct this is beyond me...

Anyway, when can we expect pricing on these?
Thanks,

Gerardo

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
This is freakin' AWESOME! Finally!!!

Ford NEVER was able to produce a steering rack that didn't sweat PS fluid. Every Mustang I've ever owned including my '06 has had this problem. My wife's '03 Camary is still bone dry. And my '96 Toyota Tacoma before that, same thing. How Ford is not able to correct this is beyond me...

Anyway, when can we expect pricing on these?
Thanks,

Gerardo
FWIW, my '79 Mustang Pace Car is completely original and the rack is bone dry. So is my '85 Capri, and my '05 GT. However, several of my prior mustangs have had leaky racks, so I know what you're saying.

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
Now that is something I would give serious thought to do to my '07. Geez, the possiblities are endless with these damn cars.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
FWIW, my '79 Mustang Pace Car is completely original and the rack is bone dry. So is my '85 Capri, and my '05 GT. However, several of my prior mustangs have had leaky racks, so I know what you're saying.

You have a Pace Car too?

Is it a 5.0 or a 2.3t?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
You have a Pace Car too?

Is it a 5.0 or a 2.3t?
5.0, a/t. No air. 65k miles:

389ea6a2.jpg

My Capri:

90cf046b.jpg

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Damn those are NICE!!! 5.0/a/t is the rarest combo too :beer: Where are the stock seats?

What mods are done to the Capri besides the 5-lug swap?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Damn those are NICE!!! 5.0/a/t is the rarest combo too :beer: Where are the stock seats?

What mods are done to the Capri besides the 5-lug swap?

10.5:1 349 stroker, FRPP Z heads, Comp XE282HR cam, Holley 750 dp carb, FRPP 1 3/4 shorties, Dr Gas X, 31 spline disc rear with 4.10's, aluminum driveshaft, B springs, Bilsteins.. That's all I can think of for now. Interior is all original. Stock T5 for now (hope it lasts).

As for the Pace Car seats, they're sitting in the garage. They weren't in the greatest shape. I swapped in some real nice '81 seats.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
10.5:1 349 stroker, FRPP Z heads, Comp XE282HR cam, Holley 750 dp carb, FRPP 1 3/4 shorties, Dr Gas X, 31 spline disc rear with 4.10's, aluminum driveshaft, B springs, Bilsteins.. That's all I can think of for now. Interior is all original. Stock T5 for now (hope it lasts).

As for the Pace Car seats, they're sitting in the garage. They weren't in the greatest shape. I swapped in some real nice '81 seats.

Those houndstooth Recaros DO NOT wear well...:tdown:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FYI the power steering is a computer controlled thing IIRC so you will need the ECU as well making this swap even more difficult

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
FYI the power steering is a computer controlled thing IIRC so you will need the ECU as well making this swap even more difficult
If FRPP releases a kit for this, I'm sure it will include a control module.

I got a good look at one of these tonight while installing springs on a 2011. The unit itself (the whole rack) is pretty big/bulky. Despite that, it would still be nice to get rid of all the PS lines and reservoir.

Back