Engine rebalance

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I am gonna be tearing down my engine again after only 5k miles since a complete rebuild. I want to upgrade the oil pump and a few other small items. While it’s apart I want to recheck some bearing clearance measurements (rods and mains). Would you guys reuse rings and bearings since there isn’t a lot of miles on them or would you replace. And if replaced would I need to rebalance? Thanks

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Replacing rings and bearings would not warrant a rebalance.

When you tear down, I would check everything and if it looks good, reuse it.

Why are you tearing down a fresh engine?

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
On cold start I have 60psi oil. Then when it’s been running for a bit at idle (set to 975rpm to keep pressure up) it’s around 14psi. It’s a 3v and I have the melling 340 pump which isn’t the right one I’ve read. So I’m going with a different pump. It’s also a project car so I wanna double check everything while I am in there.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Unless you don’t trust your engine builder, I would just swap out the oil pump and see if that fixes the issue.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Interesting you built the motor then you learned about them?

Not trying to be a jerk but I have built hundreds of engines and never did one until I have a pretty good understanding on how they work, what parts I needed, the blueprint specifications and machine shop requirements.

Back