Ever felt like selling the damn car? Or, I hate oil leaks.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've seen it happen to other people on the forum and always wondered why they would suddenly give up on their car. Now I have empathy.

Today I broke the crank bolt off in the crank while pulling the damper chasing down an oil leak, then proceeded to spend a half hour fighting the damper. Turned out the crank bolt washer was still affixed to the balancer with rtv. I had been pulling the balancer against the washer instead of the crank. Finally figured it out but I feel like putting a stock motor motor and tranny in, selling the car and working on my golf game.

Tomorrow I get to figure out what to do about the crank bolt. There are enough threads left in the crank that I can just use a M12x1.5x40mm bolt but I'd prefer to get the rest of the old bolt out.

Then oil weeping troubleshooting continues. First a new front seal will go in, then I'm changing the oil pan gasket out. It's tricky to do with the motor in the car but I've done it before so I know it can be done.

All this to stop a very small oil leak that is driving me nuts.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I hate leaks too. Just pisses me off. I know the day my stang goes weird on me, I'll just sell it and buy a new fiveOh. I am hoping that day is way off in the future. LOL

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Shit Bruce, that sucks. I know that sell it and start over feeling very well.

YLWNOR

ProCharged
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We toyed with the selling bug a few times ... They will want to rip the car up and low ball the crap off the asking price.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
How did you break the crank bolt ? Was it overtorqued ?

Completely my fault. I used a 10.9 fastener and followed the Ford manual. Except I didn't back it off after the initial torque. So I did 66 ft. lbs + 90 degrees instead of 37 ft. lbs + 90 degrees. It broke off quite aways in the snout. There are still enough threads to allow me to torque a shorter bolt to value so I'll probably leave it alone.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Completely my fault. I used a 10.9 fastener and followed the Ford manual. Except I didn't back it off after the initial torque. So I did 66 ft. lbs + 90 degrees instead of 37 ft. lbs + 90 degrees. It broke off quite aways in the snout. There are still enough threads to allow me to torque a shorter bolt to value so I'll probably leave it alone.

Damn TTY bolts. Might want to use an ARP bolt and throw some loctite in there if you're going with a shorter bolt.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Damn TTY bolts. Might want to use an ARP bolt and throw some loctite in there if you're going with a shorter bolt.

I can use a 12.9 which is what I should of used in the first place. I'll spend part of today looking up torque specs and measuring grip length needed to impart the clamping force. But first a new front seal and oil pan gasket. What a great hobby/obsession, lol.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to hear this. It's good when you like working on things..............UNTIL it heads south!!! Uggghhh......

ModMe

Reaction score
I thought I was going to break a bolt in there too installing the Steeda UDP. Used the longer bolt to torque it down and didn't put the factory bolt back in. Luckily I was able to back it out with the HD impact and put the right bolt in. These stupid little mistakes make you think twice about doing mods.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Selling no, set it on fire and watching it burn maybe.

lol

It turns out I wasn't as lucky as I thought. Got the new seal in ok but I have 1 thread in the crank. Hopefully the broken part will come out with an ez out. Otherwise it will have to drilled fully and saved with a thread repair.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If you need assistance Bruce, let me know. I will come up and lend a hand.

Thanks for the offer but it's a one man job.

The screw extractor just broke off in the crank. I should of just drilled the bolt out. Now I have to figure out how to remove hardened steel, my drill bits aren't going to do it. I hope I don't have to buy carbide bits. Maybe I can break it up enough to pull it out.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
This happened to me, but I broke the starting bolt that comes with the Steeda UDP's off in the crank.

This is how my threads looked after drilling the bolt out.

You will definately need to get a cardide bit or two, drill the old bolt out then use a thread chaser.

Or just drill the entire thing out & Heli Coil it.

Good luck.

Attachments

• CIMG0006.jpg
    CIMG0006.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG0007.jpg
    CIMG0007.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
The screw extractor just broke off in the crank.

:sigh1::thud:

for_sale_sign_1.gif

lol:chairfall:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Reminds me of my wife's ford ranger. Thermostat housing had a bolt head break off. Friend came over and broke a drill bit off in there. Used some burr bits and a ton of drilling to get the broken bit cleared out of there. Used a shank and that broke off in the hole. Tons more drilling finally cleared that. Then the tap broke off in the hole after that. More drilling ensues and we get it cleared out. Luckily enough threads left undamaged we could get a bolt in there. Three months later we dumped the truck w/cash for clunkers and got something else. Worst repair job I've dealt with yet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back