Ford 460 motor swap

Crazy8racing

Reaction score
I have an 07 GT i’m planning on putting a Ford 460 bored .60 over into. Has anyone done this type of swap? I’d like to keep some of the cool features such as the color changing dash lights. Is this possible?

AHaze

Reaction score
There's a few 385 series BBF swapped S197s out there. The one I know the most about retained basically none of the original electrical system.
Be aware that even if you don't currently need an inspection to get the car plated after this swap, it will not be street legal by the letter of the law. Ask a Californian who had a car that needed custom ECU tuning in 2021 how much fun it is to suddenly have your car rendered un-registerable.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I have an 07 GT i’m planning on putting a Ford 460 bored .60 over into. Has anyone done this type of swap? I’d like to keep some of the cool features such as the color changing dash lights. Is this possible?
Although it's been done before, I'd advise against it simply because fitting an older engine will probably make the car illegal for street use. That won't matter if you're building it into a dragster but if you want to drive it on public roads, I think you should consider a 7.3L Godzilla swap instead. It has nearly the same cubic inch displacement (445ci) but since it has ECU controlled multipoint EFI and emissions control devices, it'll pass inspections and be road legal. A stock TR3650, a TR6060 from a GT500, and a T56 Magnum XL will fit behind it making the Godzilla an attractive proposition.
A Godzilla swap has also been done before and now that Ford Performance has released a low profile intake manifold for that engine, it'll clear the stock hood. Used low mileage engines are also becoming more common and less expensive as an increasing number of trucks get crashed and written off.
Here's a thread on the subject to keep you entertained:

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
So, to actually answer your question, I have a 2010 swapped with a 408w small block, running the engine on Holley efi. But I retained the stock ecu, which is still running the gauges, the ac, all the factory interior body modules etc. I lost abs, traction control, cruise control, but everything else works. Just stuff the ecm in the fender, and keep it wired.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back