Fuel PSI issue...Stumped

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Okay so I finally "THOUGHT" I got the car running good had a good few days were the car was running good and I was happy then today me and a buddy are on our way to Hooters for lunch all of the sudden the car just stalls and I have no Fuel PSI...Got the car on the shoulder looked everything over everything looked fine try to restart the car fuel psi builds up 40psi+ car would start for about 15 seconds then die and lose all fuel psi again...did this a few times then all the sudden the car stayed running and didn't die so i hopped in and was able to make it back to the apt with good 40psi...get back to the apt let it idle then after 2-3 minutes idling it dies again and has no fuel psi..guessing somehting in the hat popped off seeing if you guys had any other sugguestions...Thanks in advanced

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Easy first check is the frps sensor. If its not that check for a loose pump connection or loose fuel hose/split in the hat.

There is a diaphram in the frps that can break sometimes. If its broken you will get fuel smell into the vac hose running to it and you will be able to blow air through it.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Easy first check is the frps sensor. If its not that check for a loose pump connection or loose fuel hose/split in the hat.

There is a diaphram in the frps that can break sometimes. If its broken you will get fuel smell into the vac hose running to it and you will be able to blow air through it.

BTW this is very very similar to my issue I had awhile back.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
i've had fuel pumps themselves act like this, would take me forever to figure out because the car would die, then when i put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail it would get pressure and start. eventually the pump got bad enough to where it wouldn't work long enough for me to figure it out

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Okay got the hat out everything looks fine...Jeremy I was reading your thread and it looked like you said it ended up being a bad fpdm then it ate up your pumps??? Is it possible mine did this with 2 fpdms??? I had just got my 2nd fpdm installed and the car had been running good with better psi than ever

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It wasnt a bad fpdm, it turned out to be a tear in that crappy nylon fuel hose I had originaly i discovered it when taking the hat apart.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuck no! lol. My old setup with the paxton add a pump kit used that nylon stuff, back when I had dual ford gt pumps.

p_00056-1.jpg

All I use is gates SAE 30R10 submersible fuel hose now.

Image08152011120012.jpg

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Incase you were curious these are what hands look like fresh outta e85

d4635440.jpg

55b719de.jpg

No progress but I did find these laying in the bottom of the tank????? Anyone know where these might have came from?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The are rubber tabs that go on the bottom of the stock fuel hat, they fall off easy. I always just remove them.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
well guess im gonna put the hat back in and do some logging to try and see what is going on...HUGE THANKS TO LITO ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Limetime

forum member
Reaction score
Hope all works out for u, been watching your threads and seems like your not having the best of luck

Darkness

forum member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my pumps going 100% duty cycle at idle. I'm running the Lethal triple returnless system. The problem turned out to be bad connection on the two 4-pin weather packs under the back seat. I replaced both those connectors and no more problems.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
I had an issue with my pumps going 100% duty cycle at idle. I'm running the Lethal triple returnless system. The problem turned out to be bad connection on the two 4-pin weather packs under the back seat. I replaced both those connectors and no more problems.
Im not sure I know exactly what your talking about???

But I was able to get the car to pressure back up and start up again fuel pressure was good idled fine turned off the car...re started once again everything fine then it spiked up in pressure then started to pressure down and car died like normal....I got all of this on a datalog is there anyway for me to post it here?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the pprv?

Sounds exactly like fuel is leaking out of the lines or connectos in the hat somewhere and back into the tank. Do you have a wideband does the car go really rich before it dies or lean?

BTW same issue again happened to me after removing and inspecting everything I put the hat back in and it was all good, pressure was back and then it went back to doing the same thing again and lost pressure.

Any codes? Forgot to mention I got some cels when my car was doing this.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No thats just to keep fuel from splashing in the tank as its siphoned from the other side. The white valve on the left is it and yes its still there. Its basicly a check valve that helps maintain pressure in the line.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back