gas fill up problem

Menes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
hey so i have a 2006 GT and yesterday when i was at the pump i was having trouble filling up, the nozzle fit in fine but when i tried to give it gas it would keep shutting off like it was full i had to put it in at a really weird angle for it to work. I've heard people have had this similar problem before and was wondering what you guys did to fix it or have any ideas on how to fix it

08GOGT

forum member
Reaction score
Its a very common issue and I still have to watch when I fill my 07 as it does it from time to time. I think ford has a tsb for the early s197's.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Same shit happened to me when I filled up last week. I managed to fill it up but it overfilled on me. I have not added gas since.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
My sons 07 Mustang has done the same thing since new, took it into the dealer and they told me no problem found! I asked if they tried putting gas in, they said no. I asked then how did you check it? Basically the mechanic said there is no TSB for the 07, therefore the problem does not exist. Anyway, here's the TSB and it basically says for the 06 to get your gas at another station!!!! TSB6_03_13 I told my son to leave the car running while pumping (yes I know it's a no-no) and he said it worked for him. Don't know if there's been any updated TSBs.

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
I have had the problem a few times when the car was angled with the passenger side lower than the drivers. Orher than that no real problem! I have a 07 GT.

martinr69

Reaction score
Mine does this as well and its a 2005. But I have noticed it only does this if I go to BP, speedway, etc. So I started to use shell gas and don't have any problems with it doing that lol. But really I would like to know what this issue is as well

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
mine does that everytime unless i turn the nozzle upside down. so, have the hose pointing up to the sky rather then to the ground and it will fill up perfectly.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
the nozzle shuts off because of too much pressure, the hose going to our gas tanks is VERY tiny, probably 3/4 inch hose so there is no way to get the vapors to leave as fast as you are adding gas.....the pump will then build up pressure and after a certain amount of pressure it trips the nozzle to cut off.

happens all the time in my work van as well.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then...

not_tech_by_bigray327.jpg

gray1622

forum member
Reaction score
Donuts work. Just make sure you going counter clockwise to get all the gas in the passenger tank. Jk

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
05-06 had a different style filler hose than 07-up. Went down under the rear frame rail.BUT my 2008 developed this prob. They swapped the filler hose assy at the dealership trying to fix it.....NO help. then the dealership looked the whole system over really well......the hard plastic vent plastic from that solenoid had not been clipped inplace at the factory well....moved over and melted on my tailpipe. Replaced the solenoid/hose assy with warranty....works fine!!

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
It's a common problem with smaller gas tanks. The colder gasoline hits the warmer tank and gas and expands quickly. This causes a back-pressure issue that will trigger the pressure switch in the gas-pump.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back