GT500 front conversion question. Crash foam?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
For the guys who have already done the gt500 front swap, did you get new crash foam, or just throw it on with the factory gt foam? If you added foam to the gt foam, what areas did you add too or is it even needed?

calispecial08

forum member
Reaction score
I shaved away some of the stock gt crash foam

from what I understand it's really no big deal, I just shaved it cause I didn't want it holding the bumper out anywhere and my bumper is very solid

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I shaved away some of the stock gt crash foam

from what I understang it's really no big deal, I just shaved it cause I didn't want it holding the bumper out anywhere and my bumper is very solid

You had to shave some? Any ideal where?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I used the correct GT500 foam. Didn't really think about trying to make the GT one work.

It's Ford part number 7R3Z-17C882-A and a decent deal would be about $95 from a dealer (retail is $124).

Last edited:

calispecial08

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't remember, it might not have even needed it, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hold it out. GT one should work gt500 one might just give it a tad bit more support

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Now that I look at them both, they're considerably different. The GT one is just a thin basic foam pad. The GT500 pad is quite a bit thicker and has some foam additions for extra support. It looks like the GT pad will fit just fine, but it won't actually act as any sort of support. But I'm not sure how much support it actually provides.

I've had my motor out several times over the last year, and each time I have to remove my bumper cover and foam to get the cherry picker in there. One of the times I forgot to reinstall the foam pad, and honestly couldn't tell a difference. I reinstalled it the next time I had my bumper cover off and still didn't notice any difference, visually or physically.

What I'm saying is, it's probably not needed.

MELLOWYELLOW06

forum member
Reaction score
I used a new part. The foam is molded to fit precisely behind the OEM bumper. Its a very minor cost but your bumper will sit fit and trim and not wiggle with touch. I would definitely use the proper pc.

7R3Z17C882A

RedfireGT

forum member
Reaction score
i used the stock gt one and it works fine, trimmed a little off the top of the middle piece that remove is removed and then it fits just fine

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I'll just order the right one. Thanks guys for the feedback!

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Holy crap, $140 for foam?!?! F-that! LOL Who has a pic to compare the two? I'll just add foam to the GT one. That's a crazy price for fricken foam.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
It's Ford part number 7R3Z-17C882-A and a decent deal would be about $95 from a dealer (retail is $124).

Holy crap, $140 for foam?!?! F-that! LOL Who has a pic to compare the two? I'll just add foam to the GT one. That's a crazy price for fricken foam.

You need a new dealer...

I can post up pics of the two side by side in the morning if you're interested.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
You need a new dealer...

I can post up pics of the two side by side in the morning if you're interested.

Yeah, go ahead and post it up, then i'll figure out what i'm going to do.

Believe me, I wish we did have a decent dealer around here.

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
Kimmer,

Where did you get the fogs for $90 if you don't mind me asking? Cheapest I have seen is $150 range and higher. Or was that $90 each?

I picked up the GT500 foam for $124 at my local dealer and that was zero discount according to them. Wasn't happy, but glad to have it and one less thing to worry about. Fogs and fog wiring and I'm ready to get it swapped.

Does anyone know if it is easier to put the grills in before or after the bumper is mounted? Or how hard it would be to add the fogs later?

Sorry to hijack...Hated to start another "conversion" thread and I couldn't find the info after reading through multiple threads...

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Kimmer,

Where did you get the fogs for $90 if you don't mind me asking? Cheapest I have seen is $150 range and higher. Or was that $90 each?

I picked up the GT500 foam for $124 at my local dealer and that was zero discount according to them. Wasn't happy, but glad to have it and one less thing to worry about. Fogs and fog wiring and I'm ready to get it swapped.

Does anyone know if it is easier to put the grills in before or after the bumper is mounted? Or how hard it would be to add the fogs later?

Sorry to hijack...Hated to start another "conversion" thread and I couldn't find the info after reading through multiple threads...

Put the grills in before putting the bumper on and the fog lights. Basically, put the whole bumper together first. Yep, here is the link. Oh yeah, $33 each with bulbs.

http://www.getallparts.com/Parts/20...ce=xml&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Apr19

Last edited:

calispecial08

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, shaved some off the top like redfiregt said.
I got my fogs on eBay for $100 for the pair.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back