Headers with a blower? 1 5/8 or 1 3/4?

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
Just checking what you guys recommend (and why) for my application....

My car- Procharger Stage 2 P1SC, automatic transmission, 3.73's & Alum. Driveshaft. Car made 428/350 on a dynojet on about 10 psi with 20's.

I was thinking 1 5/8 was the way to go... what do you guys think? I dont have plans to make HUGE horsepower with the car any time soon (which means that im counting on my engine staying together lol) :wtf1:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Subscribing.

I have 1 5/8 - 2 1/2" but I am wondering if 1 7/8 - 3" would benefit my setup.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I seen that you said you plan on keeping the power down. So 1 3/4 should do you well. Probably gonna need a retune. Not only for the O2s, but for the fact of it moving more air. When I put on 1 3/4 headers the car was actually slower till I got it retuned.

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
take it easy there guys... im at work and dont have much time to search this stuff up.

If people didnt repeat the same questions, there wouldnt be MUCH to talk about here.

If I go with 1 3/4 and do the install myself, can I drive the car safely at least to my shop for a tune??

Last edited by a moderator:

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
Flattery will get you nowhere.

lol...not trying to :asskiss3: but your posts were the most informative and accurate on there. :thumb:

If I go with 1 3/4 and do the install myself, can I drive the car safely at least to my shop for a tune??

Yes. But being the paranoid bastard that I am, if it were me I'd stay out of boost anyway but even then you should be ok assuming your current tune is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

recordbreaker5

Blown 3V
Reaction score
most companies who manufacture headers will recommend you going 1 5/8 to 2 1/2 if you are staying <600hp. but if you don't ever wanna have to worry about that I'd go 1 3/4. Pushing 10lbs on a P1SC, you won't have any restriction problems with 1 5/8.

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
most companies who manufacture headers will recommend you going 1 5/8 to 2 1/2 if you are staying <600hp. but if you don't ever wanna have to worry about that I'd go 1 3/4. Pushing 10lbs on a P1SC, you won't have any restriction problems with 1 5/8.

well i was told it would be 1 3/4 to 3" then down to 2.5 to mate to my current system. I dunno... I feel that the larger the diameter the less power I'm going to feel in the lower RPM range- and thats where I would like to improve.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I would go with 1 3/4. The 1 5/8 headers might make more torque below 2,000 RPM's. The gains in the upper range with the larger tube headers will be worth the trade off.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
1 3/4 spend money one time!
+1 only do the headers one time. I knew i was getting a supercharger so i went with the Mac 1 3/4 ceramic coated headers instead of the 1 5/8. The install was a pain in the ass so i only wanted to do it once, boost looooves the extra breathing room!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back