94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sleeping? i didn't realize we were talking about baseball

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am looking to upgrade the tiny heat exchanger that is provided with my Vortech kit. I am thinking of using a GT500 heat exchanger because I found one cheap. It provides a lot more surface areat than the Vortech supplied Setrab unit. My question is if it is okay to use the bottom as the inlet and the top port as the outlet. Here is a picture of the OEM GT500 unit:
http://www.lethalgt500.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/stock-vs-afco-comparison-1.jpg

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Yes, the bottom one is fine. That's how my stock KB H/E was, and also how I hooked up the Gordsford unit, too.

Edit: see post #12 on page 1 of this thread.

Last edited:

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
I am looking at a Gords Ford HE or AFCO HE for my KB. Did Gords have the right brackets? Did you just piece the hoses or try to find single lengths to fit?

don_w

Reaction score
I am looking at a Gords Ford HE or AFCO HE for my KB. Did Gords have the right brackets? Did you just piece the hoses or try to find single lengths to fit?
The brackets for the HE from Gords were fine. I did swap out the pump, so I had to fab that up. I also took the extra time to use 90* elbows for the hoses. I didn't want any kinked bends. I bought a long piece of hose and cut it to fit each segment.

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
I think I am going to try the GT500 Heat Exchanger. It's 26" w x 6" h x 1.5" deep vs. the supplied Vortech Setrab 12" w x 6" h x ~1.75" deep.

I also upgraded to a 03-04 Cobra pump, which flows 40% better than the one supplied with the kit.

don_w

Reaction score
I think I am going to try the GT500 Heat Exchanger. It's 26" w x 6" h x 1.5" deep vs. the supplied Vortech Setrab 12" w x 6" h x ~1.75" deep.

I also upgraded to a 03-04 Cobra pump, which flows 40% better than the one supplied with the kit.
Sounds like a great upgrade to me. You may have to come up with some bracketry, but it's definitely doable.

FWIW, here is a size comparison of the Gords vs the KB.

DSC00295.JPG

DSC00297.JPG

DSC00299.JPG

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great upgrade to me. You may have to come up with some bracketry, but it's definitely doable.

FWIW, here is a size comparison of the Gords vs the KB.

Don, thanks for the pics. From what I've read, centrifugal blowers run a bit cooler than positive displacement blowers. I think the GT500 heat exchanger will work fine. The brackets from the GT500 OEM unit are a direct bolt on, so that should make the install a breeze. I might need to re-route some of the hoses though, much like you did.

I plan on taking my car to my local road course this summer, so I want something more efficient than what Vortech supplied me with. The difference in the pump alone is pretty amazing. I was suprised at how much the 03-04 one weighed.

don_w

Reaction score
I think the GT500 heat exchanger will work fine. The brackets from the GT500 OEM unit are a direct bolt on, so that should make the install a breeze.
You should be in good shape then.

The difference in the pump alone is pretty amazing. I was suprised at how much the 03-04 one weighed.
I switched pumps too. The one on the left was my new one.

DSC00303.JPG

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
re ports

I thought they were both inlets.....hmmm, now Im really confused.
No really good question to ask.This was answered well.

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
I switched pumps too. The one on the left was my new one.

The supplied Bosch looks tiny compared to the 03-04 pump. I contacted Vortech and they said the newer pump (03-04 Cobra) in the Gen 2 kit flows 40% better. Not a bad upgrade for the price!

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
Don is that a 03-04 Cobra pump you went to?
I was looking at those and the prices for the Cobra pump are all over the board. Meziers has a hi-flo pump (22GPM) and then there might also be a bigger Bosch?

Does your Gords HE and the pump make a notiocable difference in heat soak?

don_w

Reaction score
Don is that a 03-04 Cobra pump you went to?
I was looking at those and the prices for the Cobra pump are all over the board. Meziers has a hi-flo pump (22GPM) and then there might also be a bigger Bosch?

Does your Gords HE and the pump make a notiocable difference in heat soak?
The pump was from a Lightning... I got it here:
http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/...&Product_Code=M8501L54&Category_Code=46ENGINE

And it's hard to say if there is a "noticable" difference... I also changed the radiator at the same time. But I can't imagine it not helping to some degree.

Back