Help! OBD II communication fail?

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
From the manual: Driving cycle consists of 15 minutes of steady driving on expressway/highway followed by 20 minutes of stop and go driving with at least four 30-second idle periods.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Completed the drive cycle in the manual, and drove an additional 50 mile and FAILED!
Four parameters were rejected: OBD catalyst; OBD Evap; OXY sensor; OXY sensor heat. Any tips on what I need to do to ready these parameters?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rejected or shown as "not ready" ?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can say this, some of the monitors when not ready cause a cascade effect, meaning it will cause others to fail when they aren't really failing

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Completed another drive cycle this morning after work. OBD Evap is now ready, but OBD catalyst, oxygen sensor and oxygen sensor heat are still not ready? Any ideas as to why they are still not ready?

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Subscribing as mine just failed an emissions tests this morning due to no OBD communication. Never had an issue with the original tune, but this is my first emission cycle since the auto swap and I am sure the recent tune update along with a battery going dead are contributing. Do you know exactly what was changed in the tune as I need contact my tuner today?

Last edited:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Which OBDII scanner did you pick up as I am going to grab one today?

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Doogie: The aftermarket tune has to be written in the same strategy as the factory tune. I picked up my obdII scanner from Amazon.com, it is made by Excelvan and is model U480.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Doogie: The aftermarket tune has to be written in the same strategy as the factory tune. I picked up my obdII scanner from Amazon.com, it is made by Excelvan and is model U480.

Thanks for the info! I am going to see what is available locally so I can confirm ASAP if the tune is causing my communication failure.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I confirmed mine does not have the same communication issue as the scanner tool I just bought connects fine. But I confirmed only 2 of the monitors are ready (Fuel and Comprehensive Components Monitor)... so I guess the fun game of running through the drive cycles start. Timing is everything as my battery totally died over the winter coupled with a recent tune update, both of which I am sure contributed. And of course I am on the 2 year cycle for needing the emissions. I also confirmed both the custom and stock tune have the same strategy, but not sure why the emission system indicated a communication failure??

Not sure if this is unique to my car, but the process to confirm the emission system is ready per the manual indicates my car is ready. Turn the key to on and wait 15 seconds... if the check engine light flashes 8 times, your car is not ready... but if stays on solid, the car is ready. Mine stays on solid no matter how long I wait.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Doogie: On post #24, BadHabit2Break attached the drive cycle. It is a time consuming PITA, but it should get your car ready for inspection.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I will run through the drive cycle from post 24 today, but I am still concerned about the non-communication issue with the emissions system as I had no issue linking up a new scanning tool? I will double check those fuses, but I assume since the scanner works ok that should not be a problem.

Would an unready condition with several monitors cause the non-communication?

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
This is officially a PITA as I completed the detailed drive cycle and according to my scanner, nothing changed. The scanner manual is pretty vague on how to interpret the display, so I am open to inputs.

Scanner data:
0 Codes (this is obvious since there are no DTC's)
MIL Off (this is good as the emissions will never pass if this is on)
Monitrs
>0 Inc (zero incomplete monitors??)
>2 Ready (2 monitors are ready??)
>>Fuel
>>Comp (Comprehensive Components Monitor)

I plan to repeat the full drive after the car sits for 8 hours and hopefully the 2nd time is a charm. What a PITA!!!

b00stedgt

Reaction score
doogie, I had a similar issue with my car not communicating with the inspection machine. I believe there are 7 monitors that need to show ready.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
So can having multiple monitors not ready cause the communication issue? Gong back out after dinner to run through another drive cycle, so hopefully that will help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back