Hood lifting at speed

bloodybobber

Reaction score
My 2008 did not have that problem untill a replacement hood was installed after collision damage. At 75mph on I-95 I hit a 20mph + head wind and driver side middle lifted 2". I pulled off to check for obvious unlatch but could find no problems. At next gas stop after continuing to watch the hood lift I found an issue. The inner and outer panels of the hood are not bonded, welded, or crimped tight enough (steel hoods are spot welded don't how these aluminum hoods are done) so they slide on each other and do not offer support to each other as they should. Its like two seperate loose panels not one structual unit. Anybody know how these panels are supposed to be joined? Now to get Progressive to replace it is the task.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
OEM hoods are aluminum, not steel. Sounds like you got stuck with 'aftermarket equivalent' body parts.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I think he's saying he has an aluminum hood. Never heard of this problem. Can you take the car back to the repair facility and see about a replacement? That is definitely not right. And it's potentially dangerous.

bloodybobber

Reaction score
I was looking for some more info on these aluminum hoods before I returned to Progressive. Information is power.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was looking for some more info on these aluminum hoods before I returned to Progressive. Information is power.

Use your powers of Search and you will be informed.

Sounds like a fairly common issue on these cars. Did you check the bump stop(for lack of a better description ATM) for alignment?

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sorry for my previous post and lack of reading comprehension. I must have drank too much stupid juice tonight.

bloodybobber

Reaction score
The passenger side front bump stop seemed alittle low. I turned it up some but now need to run down the road for a check. My big concern is the inner and outer panels only seem to be fastened by the folded over edge of the top panel. It seems to me that it should be bonded or spot welded to make a single unit as all steel hoods I am familiar with. As it is the upper lower panels slide on each other destroying the rigidity of the hood. With the hood open the front corners will easily rack up and down more than 6".

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
From what it sounds like you just have a dancing hood. It is a common thing on these cars, like stkjock said adjusting your bump stops helps out a lot. For me this solved the dancing hood issue. Not sure what you mean by rolled over, IIRC there weren't any spot welds on the stock hood. I would check but I have an aftermarket hood.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure it's just the stock or a replacement oem that will do this. my cervini's 2'' cowl will also twitch at speed. neither hood has raised up 2" like in the op though. it does almost sound as if his hood panels are separating from each other.

bloodybobber

Reaction score
From other forums I have heard of outer hood seperating and crashing windshield and a recall on earlier mustangs for hood seperation problems. I am trying to find out if the only thing that holds the OEM aluminum hoods together is the fold on the edge. I have seen steel hoods spot welded and folded on the edge and some with glue or sealer on middle bracing. I don't have access to my original hood to compare with what I have now from collision repair.

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
hang on ill post a pic of have of the underside of my hood.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

stock 07 hood

i had the rust taken care of with the TSB

Last edited by a moderator:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
From other forums I have heard of outer hood seperating and crashing windshield and a recall on earlier mustangs for hood seperation problems. I am trying to find out if the only thing that holds the OEM aluminum hoods together is the fold on the edge. I have seen steel hoods spot welded and folded on the edge and some with glue or sealer on middle bracing. I don't have access to my original hood to compare with what I have now from collision repair.

I don't believe I have ever heard of the skin peeling off the hood before. I know that from inside the car when you see your hood shake it may seem like it's moving a couple of inches but I have never heard of someones hood peeling off

Greg06GT

Reaction score
hang on ill post a pic of have of the underside of my hood.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

stock 07 hood

i had the rust taken care of with the TSB

Aluminum doesn't rust. Are you talking about the paint contamination defect?

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
The hood's inner and outer panels are bonded. You can see it squished out around some of the other support braces toward the center of the hood if you look between the hood and the insulation liner.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back