How can I tell/inspect if my X pipe is damaged?

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I have had my Bassani X pipe with high flow cats on my car for about 40,000km's (25,000miles if you prefer). 20,000km's of that driving has been with a Whipple supercharger and custom dyno tune.

Recently I hear a metallic rattle and my car sounds louder ( maybe more raspier too at certain RPM). I've read a bunch about catalytic converters failing and causing engine damage. I know this is a vague explanation of the potential issue but does anyone think that noise could indicate an issue with my exhaust system?

I do have those replacement pipes that I believe delete the cats, but I'm not sure how to check if it's necessary. I don't want to blow anything up!!

Any insight would be great.

kbexperience

forum member
Reaction score
I would bet that one of your cats is what's causing the rattle. Especially with the whipple on there

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I deleted my cats but continue to have this issue due to blowing out the mufflers (especially the right one). Slide under the car and shake the mufflers or rap them with a mallet and see if you can hear anything rattling around loose inside. If so you should replace the mufflers (unless you like very noisy exhaust).

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you both for good pieces of advice, I will check out the mufflers as well. I installed Corsa Sport axle back around the same time so they might be the culprit.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back